DeMelo traded to WPG for 2020 3rd

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How does that change anything other than make you feel better and less emotional about the situation? It is completely irrelevant whether Dorion participated in contract talks or not if the end game was to trade DeMelo anyway.

Is this a respect thing? I am trying to understand your position, honestly, maybe you could clarify?

What sources have said that? Unless they plan on keeping him around as a 7th defenseman and mentor to the young players, I do not see him being re-signed.

I do recall a similar situation with Luke Richardson where he was kept around way after his expiration date only to be given a role with management soon after he retired; could be a similar situation with Hainsey? He is a very well spoken player and I always enjoy his interviews, he practically sounds like a coach.
my position is this, the fact that dorion felt demelo wasn't worth an offer or a talk at all is very scary for this team moving forward. I dont care about the third as I did not expect him to get much in the first place. so im not here saying DORION SHOULD HAVE HELD OUT FOR A FIRST ROUND PICK AND A PROSPECT!!!. he should havent because he couldn't have. and no one else thinks that either. demelo should have been negotiated with and offered a deal. (not whatever he wanted no questions asked, thast what a negotiation is). we have Hainsey ALLEDGEDLY coming off the books next year anyway.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
yes the plan to not even entertain talking to demelo and trading him away cheaply I dont like that particular plan... hence, I am here ona discussion board voicing this?

in your world the title of every thread here would be "this was business, Pierre do business, thread locked"

Your confusing talking and formal offer, him and his agent felt they were worth more than anyone not named Chabot that means they want to be paid more than anyone but Chabot.
If they had a discussion ballpark of what Demelo wanted in order to stay and the number was out to lunch there is zero reason to make bad blood and insult people and have drama tweets about “cheap” and he said she said.r
Or they didn’t like his Uber stunt these older players were brought in to teach guys how to be pros and guide them, not bring the kids out trash the boss and disrespect everything and everyone.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Your confusing talking and formal offer, him and his agent felt they were worth more than anyone not named Chabot that means they want to be paid more than anyone but Chabot.
If they had a discussion ballpark of what Demelo wanted in order to stay and the number was out to lunch there is zero reason to make bad blood and insult people and have drama tweets about “cheap” and he said she said.
Nobody is confusing anything here. If the case you presented is the truth, then why isn't this being reported on? If the org wants to save face, wouldn't this be something they leak out?

Your opinion is great and all, but when all quotes and all indications are that they never talked and that there were NO offers presented, then why should anyone believe otherwise?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Nobody is confusing anything here. If the case you presented is the truth, then why isn't this being reported on? If the org wants to save face, wouldn't this be something they leak out?

Your opinion is great and all, but when all quotes and all indications are that they never talked and that there were NO offers presented, then why should anyone believe otherwise?

I thought the quotes were there was no “formal offer” isn’t that what the agent said?

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018

Demelo said himself he know that he will be trade since the first of February. Said Dorion and his agent have talk but not the same vision so he don t make an offer

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
is it really? I thought Zaitsev was 4.5 and hainsey 3?

also yeah, coach and gm love Zaitsev and hainsey over demelo… THAT is thr worrisome part. that's the scary thing.
Hainsey is 3.5 Zaitsev is 1.5 as TO picked up the 3M bonus (shocking).

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Do any Sens fans have any idea what DeMelo was asking contract-wise? I've scoured the interweb and can't seem to find anything.

Why not sign the guy at a contract like 3x3.33?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
yes the plan to not even entertain talking to demelo and trading him away cheaply I dont like that particular plan... hence, I am here ona discussion board voicing this?

in your world the title of every thread here would be "this was business, Pierre do business, thread locked"

But was he traded away cheaply? If the pundits say a 2nd wasn't achievable and we got a 3rd, how is that trading him away cheaply?

I'd call that getting market value

I would have preferred to keep DeMelo short term. And that's a very good discussion for the board

But this business that we should have got more when the most connected in the game are saying more wasn't available....it's just part of the usual bullshit noise on this site by the same usual cast of characters

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Do any Sens fans have any idea what DeMelo was asking contract-wise? I've scoured the interweb and can't seem to find anything.

Because he probably wanted more and he is an older experienced player who decided to bring the young kids out and trash on the team and coach setting an extremely poor example and showing zero leadership qualities To a team looking for quality guys to help rebuild

Reactions: rubikscube

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

All that's come out is that they talked about an extension and were far enough apart that the Sens never made a concrete offer.

I wouldn't be surprised if Demelo is looking for as much term as he can get, and that was never going to happen in Ottawa, given the stage of the rebuild.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

As i said earlier, if the team didn't want to move forward with the player, then there wasn't a need to engage in discussion at all. Full stop.

Seems to me that negotiating follows from deciding that you want to negotiate.

Also as i said earlier PD was clear with tidbits over the past 6 weeks that they knew who they wanted to negotiate with

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
My last point on DeMelo is that we don’t need him going into next year. We would have to offer a sizable deal and lots of ice time to a guy that we’d rather not do that with.

Wolanin, Branstrom will both likely be up to start the year next year, and with Zaitsev and Chabot, Boro and Reilly, we already have 6 NHL defensemen. If bring in an experienced vet that can play for a year and bring character and leadership, that makes 7 guys already.

DeMelo is not a core player, and this shouldn’t be taking up significant funds, nor perhaps more importantly significant ice time on a multi year deal.

Nice player and nice guy, but his type of player be had for free in the summer, and like DeMelo, we can take a guy who needs some ice time, and turn him into a 3rd!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If they had a discussion ballpark of what Demelo wanted in order to stay and the number was out to lunch there is zero reason to make bad blood and insult people and have drama tweets about “cheap” and he said she said.r
Or they didn’t like his Uber stunt these older players were brought in to teach guys how to be pros and guide them, not bring the kids out trash the boss and disrespect everything and everyone.
that hasn't been said no length no numbers were ever discussed

Oh boy do I have stories to tell you about your heroes lol

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
My last point on DeMelo is that we don’t need him going into next year. We would have to offer a sizable deal and lots of ice time to a guy that we’d rather not do that with.

Wolanin, Branstrom will both likely be up to start the year next year, and with Zaitsev and Chabot, Boro and Reilly, we already have 6 NHL defensemen. If bring in an experienced vet that can play for a year and bring character and leadership, that makes 7 guys already.

DeMelo is not a core player, and this shouldn’t be taking up significant funds, nor perhaps more importantly significant ice time on a multi year deal.

Nice player and nice guy, but his type of player be had for free in the summer, and like DeMelo, we can take a guy who needs some ice time, and turn him into a 3rd!
yeah why are these guys here over Demelo? THATS THE ISSUE

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
But was he traded away cheaply? If the pundits say a 2nd wasn't achievable and we got a 3rd, how is that trading him away cheaply?

I'd call that getting market value

I would have preferred to keep DeMelo short term. And that's a very good discussion for the board

But this business that we should have got more when the most connected in the game are saying more wasn't available....it's just part of the usual bullshit noise on this site by the same usual cast of characters
Okay market value is not always indicative of value though? he was more valuable to us than he was on the market. period. like okay why dont we just trade everyone? as long as we get market value for them then its all good?

getting market value for someone does not mean you made the right choice.

youre right he should have been kept. were arguing the same thing. yes we gave him away cheaply as we are EXTREEEEEEMMMMMEELLLY low on good NHL d men and we gave away one of the few solid nhl d man we have for next to nothing.

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
yeah why are these guys here over Demelo? THATS THE ISSUE

Zaitsev is a better NHL player than DeMelo. Boro and Reilly don’t have term, and don’t cost as much as DeMelo would. Do you think DeMelo was itching to get the cash, term, and playtime of a bottom pairing DMan?

No he wasn’t.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Zaitsev is a better NHL player than DeMelo. Boro and Reilly don’t have term, and don’t cost as much as DeMelo would. Do you think DeMelo was itching to get the cash, term, and playtime of a bottom pairing DMan?

No he wasn’t.
Why should he get the playing time of a bottom pairing d-man? He has proven to be the best partner Chabot has had, waaaaay better than Zaitsev has, plus he is partially responsible for Boro taking a huge step forward this year.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I have absolutely no idea how anyone can look at Zaitsev play and consider him outright better than DeMelo.

I don't hate Zaitsev at all, he's ok, but if you think DeMelo was worse than "ok" then I am speechless.

Reactions: DrEasy and bert

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Anyone who thinks Zaitsev is a better player than Demelo is completely out to lunch.

I'm not going to say that it was a terrible trade. Personally, I would have preferred to keep Demelo than trade him for a 3rd, but it's certainly not going to make or break this team over the next few years. It won't be that hard to replace him.

However, Demelo has nothing to do with how terrible Zaitsev is, and we should do everything we can do fire him into the sun the second we get the chance.

I'm quite confident in stating that If Zaitsev is in this team's top 4 for the remainder of his contract, we will not make the playoffs for the remainder of his contract.

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
hmm okay well then theres the issue here I strongly disagree.

I think if reilly was let go and demelo signed you would be saying demelo is the better nhl player

I edited my post as I didn’t see you were referring to Boro and Reilly.

It’s a shame, coming from you, to toss out the discussion with this crap post.

Don’t agree with me? Fine. I prefer Zaitsev to DeMelo, and Boro and Reilly don’t come with the money, term, and ice time that DeMelo was going to be wanting. I prefer the 3rd and the room for the kids. I’d rather a character vet in a one year deal if we’re adding another D man.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

It appears they never exchanged numbers and only had preliminary talks, at which point Dorion decided to move him. Lots of guesses from pundits and parsing quotes but most pundits think that term would be an issue. My own guess I’d Dorion didn’t want more than 2 years.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don’t mind that many of you prefer DeMelo. It doesn’t make me laugh that many of the same folks hate Tierney though.

DeMelo was a fine vanilla player, and this team looks to be, thankfully, avoiding guys that don’t have anything special to add to the team.

Tierney at least is an excellent PKer and a good face off guy, DeMelo was a steady bottom pairing guy who was altogether unspectacular.

Zaitsev is more aggressive, hits, blocks shots, battles along the boards, is usually in good defensive position.

I’m ok with guys in here preferring DeMelo, he was traded after all, seems as though most of the positivity on the Sens board is reserved for players of other teams! :)

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
that hasn't been said no length no numbers were ever discussed

Oh boy do I have stories to tell you about your heroes lol

I’m pretty sure you Have no clue who or what my hero’s are. And if you don’t think they asked Demelo at some point what his thoughts were going forward and what kind of money and term he was thinking about you are sadly mistaken.
They know if he signed a stupid cheap contract they would take it even if it was just for the ability to trade him with it.
Stop selling fake crap there is no chance they didn’t know what type of money and term he was thinking.
Not making him an offer is not the same as the fake crap you are trying to sell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad