DeMelo traded to WPG for 2020 3rd

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So what about this quote from the Pageau thread

You find Tierney too vanilla but Demelo is the Vanilla equivalent for forward.

Thats your opinion I dont share it. Demelo competes way harder than Tierney. I dont think they are similar in that regard, Demelo gets involved in the dirty areas and his intensity rises when it needs to.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Seems more like a sellers market after seeing what Blake Coleman got.

Other deals for defenders:
  1. Scandella for 2nd (2020) + conditional 4th (2021)
  2. Dillon for 2nd (2020) + conditional 3rd (2021)
  3. Greene for 2nd (2022) + prospect
Would think Demelo is as good as those guys.

It's a fair point.

We got less back than other defencemen that were traded. In two of those cases, they will likely be very late 2nds, but overall, yes, Dorion returned less value.

I do think DeMelo didn't have enough time here to solidify his rep.

It wouldn't surprise me if he isn't as valued elsewhere as he is here.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Maybe they can sign him in the offseason, not that im expecting it considering they didnt even talk to him about an extension lol.

Again with the lies and the fake news....

They did have talks, they just didn't have a formal offer.

Geeez...

Reactions: GCK

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You don’t understand what irony is, nor do you seem to keep track of your own behaviour, classic Bert, your posts always come with a massive grain of salt.

As for the rest, you all argued how he was a throw in, and pretty much a dump by SJ, and over his time here we were able to give him the opportunity to change from being that, to a guy that was worth a 3rd from at least one team. That’s great asset management amirite? Of course the alternative was you were wrong from the start, again.

As for the what everyone else thought. Duuuuuuude, the punditry has already made it abundantly clear that a 2nd was not on offer from anyone. You and your crew overreacted negatively, and we’re simply wrong again. Don’t get pissy at me, it’s your own fault.

Why are you referring to when he was traded from San Jose again? That has absolutely no bearing on his current value. He wasnt qualified on his restricted free agency contract with San Jose he was signed as a UFA. Who was wrong about what exactly.... He was a throw in... His game has evolved over the last two years.

My crew? WTF are you talking about? You mean the majority of people that have evaluated the trade. Like you know the over 2000 people that voted on TSN unless they are my crew too?.... All the analyst are they part of 'my crew'.

Can you bring anything tangible to the equasion here? Any in depth analysis other than going against the grain then make sarcastic remarks?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Again with the lies and the fake news....

They did have talks, they just didn't have a formal offer.

Geeez...

The sad thing is that this has all be clarified earlier in the thread.

Some posters only see what they want to see.
Dylan DeMelo wishes Ottawa Senators stay could have continued - TSN.ca

There is your clarification three videos and an article. Direct quotes.

The 'sad' thing is you wont watch the videos and continue to be ignorant. Unless direct quotes right from the player is 'fake news'.

Reactions: BatherSeason

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Why are you referring to when he was traded from San Jose again? That has absolutely no bearing on his current value. He wasnt qualified on his restricted free agency contract with San Jose he was signed as a UFA. Who was wrong about what exactly.... He was a throw in... His game has evolved over the last two years.

My crew? WTF are you talking about? You mean the majority of people that have evaluated the trade. Like you know the over 2000 people that voted on TSN unless they are my crew too?.... All the analyst are they part of 'my crew'.

Can you bring anything tangible to the equasion here? Any in depth analysis other than going against the grain then make sarcastic remarks?

Geez Bert, a simple “PD did a good job with the return for a guy that was a throw in in the EK trade, and I was wrong about his value league-wide, as has been revealed by respected NHL insiders” Would have sufficed.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Dylan DeMelo wishes Ottawa Senators stay could have continued - TSN.ca

There is your clarification three videos and an article. Direct quotes.

The 'sad' thing is you wont watch the videos and continue to be ignorant. Unless direct quotes right from the player is 'fake news'.

“DeMelo confirmed the media reports from earlier this week that there had been no tangible or concrete contract offer from the Senators submitted to his camp at any point over the past few months.”

I’m not sure if it’s a reading comprehension issue, but this quote doesn’t mean what you seem to be arguing it means. Just because a “concrete contract offer” wasn’t made, doesn’t mean that there weren’t talks. In fact, the use of the word “concrete” would indicate that conversation did indeed occur, it just never ended in a formalized contract offer of any kind.

This would indicate that the team decided early that they were going to move on from DeMelo. With the addition of Wolanin, and whatever options become available in he summer, it was probably a wise decision to not overpay in money or term for a guy who is more of a bottom pairing guy on most teams, and who really didn’t bring anything special to the table.

A nice 3rd rounder to add to the pile for a guy they decided not to bring back.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
“DeMelo confirmed the media reports from earlier this week that there had been no tangible or concrete contract offer from the Senators submitted to his camp at any point over the past few months.”

I’m not sure if it’s a reading comprehension issue, but this quote doesn’t mean what you seem to be arguing it means. Just because a “concrete contract offer” wasn’t made, doesn’t mean that there weren’t talks. In fact, the use of the word “concrete” would indicate that conversation did indeed occur.
“When you see Pierre is calling at this time of the year when there have been no contract negotiations, I figured I was getting dealt,”

I'd assume that was the quote he was referencing

Reactions: BatherSeason

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

I’m not sure if it’s a reading comprehension issue, but this quote doesn’t mean what you seem to be arguing it means. Just because a “concrete contract offer” wasn’t made, doesn’t mean that there weren’t talks. In fact, the use of the word “concrete” would indicate that conversation did indeed occur, it just never ended in a formalized contract offer of any kind.

This would indicate that the team decided early that they were going to move on from DeMelo. With the addition of Wolanin, and whatever options become available in he summer, it was probably a wise decision to not overpay in money or term for a guy who is more of a bottom pairing guy on most teams, and who really didn’t bring anything special to the table.

A nice 3rd rounder to add to the pile for a guy they decided not to bring back.

Exactly. There could have been a brief conversation that Demelo was looking for a longer term deal and the Sens absolutely weren't thinking that way. Nothing concrete but a clear indication that the two sides were far apart.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
“When you see Pierre is calling at this time of the year when there have been no contract negotiations, I figured I was getting dealt,”

I'd assume that was the quote he was referencing

Yup, but after that quote it seems to be clarified into no concrete offers being bandied back and forth, not that PD never spoke to DeMelos agent at all, which seems to be what Bert is trying to argue.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Exactly. There could have been a brief conversation that Demelo was looking for a longer term deal and the Sens absolutely weren't thinking that way. Nothing concrete but a clear indication that the two sides were far apart.

Exactly, management knew why DeMelo was looking for. If the Sens weren’t going to pay up, you trade the guy and hope he does well on the new team and gets that offer.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Spot on. But whatever, some around here will continue to twist reality to fit their narrative. In their campaign of lies and disinformation.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Anyone else get the feeling they tried to trade pageau. Offers were garbage. So now they’re suddenly in contract talks.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Spot on. But whatever, some around here will continue to twist reality to fit their narrative. In their campaign of lies and disinformation.

According to Shawn Simpson neither term or money were ever discussed. Simmer claims to be friends with DD's agent and called him up.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You can say whatever you want about Zaitsev vs DeMelo in a vacuum, but imo DeMelo made a far better partner for Chabot. They just seemed to read off one another far better than Zaitsev and Chabot.
Absolutely. While I believe Zaitsev is a better player he and Chabot are a trading wreck together.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Anyone else get the feeling they tried to trade pageau. Offers were garbage. So now they’re suddenly in contract talks.

Nothing wrong with that really. You have to play your cards tight to the chest otherwise, if contract talks go sideways and Pageau's agent starts leaking info to other teams, that could completely destroy his trade value if other G.M's know that a contract is not likely. By not having contract talks too soon, it allows other teams to pony up if they really want him or else we sign him.

Reactions: Sen sational

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad