GDT: Dem Bums @ Flyers 10/8/13 7PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
So what´s the deal with Barkov getting only 11 minutes? And no PP time. Is KD saving him because of the tough strech ahead of the team or benching him for his bad play? He was on the ice on both Philly´s goals but I can´t really see that either one was his fault.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
It looks to me that KD is trying to roll 4 lines for 5 on 5.
I was glad to see Shore back in with Gomez and Upshall on the 4th line. They played well together in the 1st game.
Also glad to see Winchester Matthias and Kopy back together. That line is a nice shutdown line.
Goc, Kopy, Winchester, Matthias, Upshall and Shore have all been very good on the PK.
As I said in the Barkov thread, KD changed up the PP because it didn't work in the 1st 2 games. Goc and Kopy in and Barkov and Gomez out.
Still didn't work.
I think we will see more tinkering with the PP.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Shore in...lost. Pointing that out.

Okay okay, I admit defeat! Gonna have to rephrase that.
But don't you think they played much better with Shore in the lineup? I don't think Philly deserved any of their goals.
We totally out played them. We were very competitive.
Shore = competitive game. Barch = embarrassing game

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Okay okay, I admit defeat! Gonna have to rephrase that.
But don't you think they played much better with Shore in the lineup? I don't think Philly deserved any of their goals.
We totally out played them. We were very competitive.
Shore = competitive game. Barch = embarrassing game

Not fair to pin anything on one player, especially a fourth liner like Barch. If you want to say Shore gives a better chance to win, I agree.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
So what´s the deal with Barkov getting only 11 minutes? And no PP time. Is KD saving him because of the tough strech ahead of the team or benching him for his bad play? He was on the ice on both Philly´s goals but I can´t really see that either one was his fault.

Am I missing something here? I think Barkov looks great out there! I would like to see about 15 minutes for the rookie.
He's my favorite player to watch. Always a positive impact.
Really not sure why Dineens not giving him more ice time.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Am I missing something here? I think Barkov looks great out there! I would like to see about 15 minutes for the rookie.
He's my favorite player to watch. Always a positive impact.
Really not sure why Dineens not giving him more ice time.

He just didn´t play PP against Philly, that´s why his minutes were down. If he had (like on other nights) his minutes would have been the same as before. Like someone said in the other thread, one reason probably is because he has been poor on faceoffs. Also because PP has sucked so they wanted to shuffle up things.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
We need consistent scoring. It's that simple.

We need finishers. Tonight we put in a hell of an effort but the scoring didnt come.

Hubs needs to step up to. This kid is labelled as the future face of the franchise and he's been pretty brutal to start the year. I know he's a kid but we rely on him now and he's been lackluster at best up to this point.

I thought it was his strongest game thus far. Gotta remember, he's still a bit rusty from his surgery.

I think he looks more confident with the puck.Hes holding on to it more, whereas last year it sometimes appeared as if he were playing with a hot potato I thought he also looked more aggressive and involved off the puck, whereas last season he kinda waited for the puck to bounce his way or find him in his sweet spot.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
He just didn´t play PP against Philly, that´s why his minutes were down. If he had (like on other nights) his minutes would have been the same as before. Like someone said in the other thread, one reason probably is because he has been poor on faceoffs. Also because PP has sucked so they wanted to shuffle up things.

If face offs are the reason for his limited ice time, It'd be cool if the barkov thread updated his face off percentage after every game and compared it to his season avg.

Be nice to easily track his progress.

HowdyHowden93*

You can't win games if you can't score. All of us have been saying this for years. It's sad we're still talking about it.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Barkov has the third most wins of the team. Goc is well above the rest, Barkov, Mathias and Gomez are statistically same (even for Goc the number of FOs is too low for any kind of real analysis). Barkov is very inconsistent in the face-offs, but in the second game he had 58% wins.

Barkov's "career" FO% is 41.7 at the moment. But I have hard time believing he won't be improving it. The same goes for Mackinnon who has the worst FO% of the league (of players with over 30 FOs) of 18.2% at the moment.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It looks to me that KD is trying to roll 4 lines for 5 on 5.
I was glad to see Shore back in with Gomez and Upshall on the 4th line. They played well together in the 1st game.
Also glad to see Winchester Matthias and Kopy back together. That line is a nice shutdown line.
Goc, Kopy, Winchester, Matthias, Upshall and Shore have all been very good on the PK.
As I said in the Barkov thread, KD changed up the PP because it didn't work in the 1st 2 games. Goc and Kopy in and Barkov and Gomez out.
Still didn't work.
I think we will see more tinkering with the PP

Put Kopecky or Matthias on a PP line and have them stand in front of the goalie

+

Shooting the puck on net, screening the goalie

=

PP GOAL!!

The fancy passing looks good but we don't have the ability to score a ton of goals lately. We just need to shoot more and crash the net or at least screen the goalie. That's where Matthias or Kopecky comes in, those guys take beatings and come back for more. Add their size to the equation and it's a pretty simple formula in my opinion.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Gomez was really strong establishing the zone and making tight correct read passes on the PP. Sounds simple, but this team has struggled with the basics in the other team's zone for past decade plus.

Barch, did not like that signing now more are becoming vocal on it.

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
In my opinion Hartnell definitely played that up. Also in my opinion, Gudbranson should know better than to drive a player who's back is facing him into the boards, it IS dangerous, and it WILL get called every time. Hartnell also is a veteran player who should absolutely know better than to place himself into that kind of position along the boards. Both were wrong.

Watch the play again. They were side by side fighting for the puck going into the boards and Hartnell was turning because he lost the physical push. Guds shouldn't have pushed. But Hartnell did not have his back to him.

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
Did you even watch the game? Barkov DID play on the PP.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I didn't catch this last night but as soon as Guds hits Hartnell, Simmonds punches Huby in the back of the head. Then as Simmonds starts to skate towards Guds/Hartnell, Huby grabs him and is thrown down on the ice. But I just didn't see Simmonds' punch till just now re-watching. I love how Huby sticks up for himself.

-ghoste

HowdyHowden93*

Matthias averaging less than 14 minutes per game is shocking. You'd think he'd be out there more, I would have traded him while his stock was at its highest last season, now they don't even play the guy lol Crazy

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
I didn't catch this last night but as soon as Guds hits Hartnell, Simmonds punches Huby in the back of the head. Then as Simmonds starts to skate towards Guds/Hartnell, Huby grabs him and is thrown down on the ice. But I just didn't see Simmonds' punch till just now re-watching. I love how Huby sticks up for himself.

-ghoste

yeah, i love how gritty huberdeau is

simmonds isn't a small guy either and he's a good fighter, scary that he sticks up for himself like that.

and no need to panic about barkov, one second people say he's being rushed, then he isn't playing enough, then its blablabla

he's been one of the best panthers this year and im always excited when he play, not because of his draft status, but how he carries himself in there.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
HI, what's the word on Kulikov so far this season?
Is he any closer to breaking out?
have him as on my fantasy team, hoping for big things ...
(but considering trading him straight up for Campbell to go for it this year...)
thanks

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
HI, what's the word on Kulikov so far this season?
Is he any closer to breaking out?
have him as on my fantasy team, hoping for big things ...
(but considering trading him straight up for Campbell to go for it this year...)
thanks

kulikov ejected game 2

played decent the other games i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad