Line Combos: Delia

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Except isn't DeSmith signing on to knowingly be a backup? Where Delia will be signing on to be the likely starter? Big difference, IMO.
did you forget Crawford is still here?? there is no difference, Delia is not the starting goaltender as long as Crow still is under contract and not on LTIR for next season. and even if Crow is out, Bowman will find an experienced goalie to play here to help Delia - either way he isn't getting any $$$ over that IMO.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
did you forget Crawford is still here?? there is no difference, Delia is not the starting goaltender as long as Crow still is under contract and not on LTIR for next season. and even if Crow is out, Bowman will find an experienced goalie to play here to help Delia - either way he isn't getting any $$$ over that IMO.

No I know he's still here. I just don't expect he'll ever play again, honestly. Again, if Delia is the expected starter next year, then he'll likely command more money than the 1.25m that DeSmith got as a guaranteed backup. I expect he won't come in less than 1.5m.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
No I know he's still here. I just don't expect he'll ever play again, honestly. Again, if Delia is the expected starter next year, then he'll likely command more money than the 1.25m that DeSmith got as a guaranteed backup. I expect he won't come in less than 1.5m.
Even if Crow is done, you can bet Stan is signing a veteran goalie to split starts with Delia.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Even if Crow is done, you can bet Stan is signing a veteran goalie to split starts with Delia.
Never said he wouldn't. But that doesn't change the fact that Delia will still need a new contract. I think a lot of it will depend on how Delia performs the rest of the season, but I expect he'll come in at 1.5m or better. Not necessarily a lot more, but probably more, if he's the projected #1.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Never said he wouldn't. But that doesn't change the fact that Delia will still need a new contract. I think a lot of it will depend on how Delia performs the rest of the season, but I expect he'll come in at 1.5m or better. Not necessarily a lot more, but probably more, if he's the projected #1.
If we get a vet, Delia will be the "back up" next season.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
come on man, you are better than these last few posts lol!!

honestly, you are not projecting who your number 1 goalie will be next year by the time you sign Delia, you just want him in the fold and happy. but the main problem still is this - his body of work is barely 10 NHL starts in his career, if any GM or coach annoints a kid with this little playing time as their #1 next year they should be fired..you just can't do that. too much pressure on the kid and honestly you are setting yourself up for failure. we all like Delia and he should be a solid NHL goalie for the next few years, but giving him a 3 year contract at $1.25 mil per is more than enough for someone that might start 25 NHL games this season...you still need to shield him a bit and make him earn the starting role from Crow or if you go out and get a Ryan Miller or whatever veteran you want.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
come on man, you are better than these last few posts lol!!

honestly, you are not projecting who your number 1 goalie will be next year by the time you sign Delia, you just want him in the fold and happy. but the main problem still is this - his body of work is barely 10 NHL starts in his career, if any GM or coach annoints a kid with this little playing time as their #1 next year they should be fired..you just can't do that. too much pressure on the kid and honestly you are setting yourself up for failure. we all like Delia and he should be a solid NHL goalie for the next few years, but giving him a 3 year contract at $1.25 mil per is more than enough for someone that might start 25 NHL games this season...you still need to shield him a bit and make him earn the starting role from Crow or if you go out and get a Ryan Miller or whatever veteran you want.

Why? You guys have short memories.

2009-2010 Crawford saw 1 start. 2010-2011 Crawford saw 55 starts. Turco saw 27 starts. Turco was supposed to be the veteran that Crow was backing up, but it didn't work that way. This FO has shown they're not afraid to put a young goalie in there if they feel he's the real deal. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Delia starts next year, with a backup veteran to mentor him.

And stop talking about his 10 starts. I'm not basing this off his 10 starts, which is why I keep saying "Depending on how he finishes the season". All of this is "dependent on how he finishes the season." like I keep saying. Stop with the cherry picking of my posts and excluding the parts where I say it's dependent on his finish to this season.

We'll just have to wait and see.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
All I know is Delia is good enough to be the #2. Can he be a #1 on a contending team? I don't think we'll find out this year. Not enough pressure and competent D. We'll know more next year.

I'd rather play Forsberg and see if he can be a viable backup than play Ward though.

If Crow does not play, I hope the Hawks can find another young goalie prospect for next year. I take this position as I do not believe the Hawks will be legit contenders next year. Perhaps in 2020-2021 though. It's a 1.5 year tryout for goalie. The best man wins.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Why? You guys have short memories.

2009-2010 Crawford saw 1 start. 2010-2011 Crawford saw 55 starts. Turco saw 27 starts. Turco was supposed to be the veteran that Crow was backing up, but it didn't work that way. This FO has shown they're not afraid to put a young goalie in there if they feel he's the real deal.

And stop talking about his 10 starts. I'm not basing this off his 10 starts, which is why I keep saying "Depending on how he finishes the season". All of this is "dependent on how he finishes the season." like I keep saying. Stop with the cherry picking of what I'm saying.

Better than these last few posts? :laugh:

Crawford got his contract after starting nearly the entire 2010-11 season, plus he was in the system for years here...we knew what we had in him by the time the 10-11 season ended. We still have no clue what we have in Delia who hasn't even been in our system more than 2 years.

you say I/we are cherry picking numbers, but how are we cherry picking numbers?? the kid doesn't have 10 NHL starts this season lol...I have no clue how many games he gets in this year with Ward still here and iF Crow comes back...if Crow comes back next month Delia will not be starting at all...and even if Delia starts most of the way he still will barely have 30 NHL games under his belt, how and why on Earth do you think he would get more money than DeSmith?? It just doesn't make sense no matter how he finishes this season - BODY OF WORK my friend, and fortunately for the Hawks he doesn't have it which will keep his numbers down. I like the kid and I want him signed here, but you have to look at comparables and there is none better than De Smith for Delia and his contract.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Crawford got his contract after starting nearly the entire 2010-11 season, plus he was in the system for years here...we knew what we had in him by the time the 10-11 season ended. We still have no clue what we have in Delia who hasn't even been in our system more than 2 years.

you say I/we are cherry picking numbers, but how are we cherry picking numbers?? the kid doesn't have 10 NHL starts this season lol...I have no clue how many games he gets in this year with Ward still here and iF Crow comes back...if Crow comes back next month Delia will not be starting at all...and even if Delia starts most of the way he still will barely have 30 NHL games under his belt, how and why on Earth do you think he would get more money than DeSmith?? It just doesn't make sense no matter how he finishes this season - BODY OF WORK my friend, and fortunately for the Hawks he doesn't have it which will keep his numbers down. I like the kid and I want him signed here, but you have to look at comparables and there is none better than De Smith for Delia and his contract.

A giant :huh: to this entire post. In the car. I'll respond when I'm home... lol. You didn't read my post again apparently. I'm not talking about cherry picking numbers... read it again...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
A giant :huh: to this entire post. In the car. I'll respond when I'm home... lol. You didn't read my post again apparently. I'm not talking about cherry picking numbers... read it again...
I am too lazy to go back and look ....lol...at this point Bowman just needs to either sign him for cheap or let an arbitrator determine his worth which would not be a lot.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I am too lazy to go back and look ....lol...at this point Bowman just needs to either sign him for cheap or let an arbitrator determine his worth which would not be a lot.

Lol. I'm saying stop cherry picking pieces of my posts. You keep ignoring the "qualifier" i'm using of "depending on how he finishes this season".

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'm not sold they'll sign some vet. But depends on how Delia finishes the year. If he is strong going on then not really as they're probably wanting to being Nalimov over. He may wind up in Rockford but that'll be the next up and coming attempt.

I don't think he's arbitration eligible. And that shouldn't be wanted. A multi year cheap deal is clearly.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'm not sold they'll sign some vet. But depends on how Delia finishes the year. If he is strong going on then not really as they're probably wanting to being Nalimov over. He may wind up in Rockford but that'll be the next up and coming attempt.

I don't think he's arbitration eligible. And that shouldn't be wanted. A multi year cheap deal is clearly.

He is arbitration eligible.

Reactions: ClydeLee

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Given Crawford's 1st paycheck after taking over the starting job, I think 2-3M is not out of the question...depending on Delia's play and numbers.

Niemi had worse numbers after his rookie year (albeit won a cup) and pulled in 2M for a year after arbitration.

Crawford got 2.67M for 3 years after a better rookie season.

My take is that the 'hawks can try to hide behind Delia not having remotely a full year, but Delia's numbers would still have to fall to get him into the $1-2M range.

And according to CF, Delia is arbitration-eligble.

All depends on how he finishes this season. Wasn't Marty Turco supposed to be the starter in 2010-2011? ;)

Crawford played 57 games to Turco's 29. After Crow had a whopping 1 NHL start the year prior.

Crawford has some other starts in prior years as well...not to mention being thrown to the wolves in the 2009 WCF. Plus, you can't forget that Niemi stole the show from Huet the previous year.

Crawford's status is going to be a salient point. I don't think he walks away from his final 5M so it's possible he can waive and LTIR if he's done. If not he can fill the "vet" presence for 2020.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 'hawks go for a 1-year vet a la Ward next year if Crawford is done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad