Line Combos: Delia

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Very reflexive goalie. Reminds me of a bigger Thibault.
L9rlcFT.gif

Reactions: Pez68 and Rooh

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
What I didnt know about him before is he is from LA and was a Johnathan Quick fan. I can see the play style from that in him.

Reactions: Rooh

Crow

May 19, 2014
What I didnt know about him before is he is from LA and was a Johnathan Quick fan. I can see the play style from that in him.
Hopefully he doesn’t end up injured every year like quick.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Deals looks legit and hasn’t had a poor game since coming up. Refreshing to see with Crow’s injuries.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The Real Delia in my book. So far so good. Glad that he is holding up to being bombarded every night. Hasn't hurt him like I thought it might.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
My God ... can our defenders help Delia out? It was like open season for the Flames last night. Even then, he kept the Hawks in the game.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Some more good news on the goalie front,

From the QMJHL website:

Alexis Gravel has been rather proficient at snaring pucks while tending the twine for the Halifax Mooseheads this season. As a result, he has also snared the VAUGHN Goaltender of the Month Award for December.
The 18-year-old from Asbestos, Quebec posted a 6-1-0-1 record during the month, with a 1.61 goals against average and a save percentage of .946%. Gravel allowed two goals or fewer in seven of eight starts in December while turning aside 30 or more shots on four occasions.
The highlight of his month came at home against the Moncton Wildcats on December 14th, when he stopped all 33 shots fired his way in a 2-0 victory that vaulted the 2019 Memorial Cup host Mooseheads over the Wildcats and into top spot in the Maritimes Division. The shutout was Gravel’s second of the season and the third of his QMJHL career.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
My God ... can our defenders help Delia out? It was like open season for the Flames last night. Even then, he kept the Hawks in the game.
They haven't helped out the goalie since the 2015 playoffs, why would they start now? :sarcasm:

Seriously I don't foresee anything good coming out of our defense until/unless 2 or more of our D-prospects develop into at least a top-2 and a top-4. That will likely be a couple of seasons out.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
They haven't helped out the goalie since the 2015 playoffs, why would they start now? :sarcasm:

Seriously I don't foresee anything good coming out of our defense until/unless 2 or more of our D-prospects develop into at least a top-2 and a top-4. That will likely be a couple of seasons out.
The first 2 goals last night were infuriating. On the first goal, it felt like the Flame held on to the puck for 10 seconds at point blank range. Even then Delia saved it ... then Johnny Hockey swooped in.

On the power play goal, it was a nice pass from the perimeter to the side of the net ... then an easy pass to a wide open man in front of the net. WTH?!?! The Hawks were like road cones.

The third goal ... I now expect Delia to save every 1 v 1 breakaway. So that's on him for raising my expectations.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
The first 2 goals last night were infuriating. On the first goal, it felt like the Flame held on to the puck for 10 seconds at point blank range. Even then Delia saved it ... then Johnny Hockey swooped in.

On the power play goal, it was a nice pass from the perimeter to the side of the net ... then an easy pass to a wide open man in front of the net. WTH?!?! The Hawks were like road cones.

The third goal ... I now expect Delia to save every 1 v 1 breakaway. So that's on him for raising my expectations.

Every single thing you describe has been going on since the beginning of the 2016 season...in some cases earlier but just not as frequent. The difference is that Delia is so green he needs mowing which makes his play that much more exceptional and as a rookie, he (over a seasoned Crawford) highlights the deficiencies at D. But taken in a vacuum the defense blowing coverage, being pylons out there, screening their net, pinching too far without the physical ability to get back into coverage (and no Hossa to bail them out), and the FWDs not helping by playing any D is not just a phenomenon inherent to this season. They were doing it all last year (with Crawford's Vezina-calibre play masking it for the 1st half of the year), All 2017 (with Darling's exceptional play masking it in the games he played), and all of 2016 (with Crawford's Vezina-calibre play masking it when he played).

Barring Delia petering out like Neimi or Darling, I like what I see from him even though he might have a sophomore slump. It also helps Nalimov might be able to come in and push him, but with the Seattle-expansion draft coming in 2021 (and a possible walk-out of the CBA this coming September) the 'hawks have to be careful with their D-prospects. We could end up losing a good one if the 'hawks aren't careful about development, which is counter to the 'hawks bolstering the defense.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Every single thing you describe has been going on since the beginning of the 2016 season...in some cases earlier but just not as frequent. The difference is that Delia is so green he needs mowing which makes his play that much more exceptional and as a rookie, he (over a seasoned Crawford) highlights the deficiencies at D. But taken in a vacuum the defense blowing coverage, being pylons out there, screening their net, pinching too far without the physical ability to get back into coverage (and no Hossa to bail them out), and the FWDs not helping by playing any D is not just a phenomenon inherent to this season. They were doing it all last year (with Crawford's Vezina-calibre play masking it for the 1st half of the year), All 2017 (with Darling's exceptional play masking it in the games he played), and all of 2016 (with Crawford's Vezina-calibre play masking it when he played).

Barring Delia petering out like Neimi or Darling, I like what I see from him even though he might have a sophomore slump. It also helps Nalimov might be able to come in and push him, but with the Seattle-expansion draft coming in 2021 (and a possible walk-out of the CBA this coming September) the 'hawks have to be careful with their D-prospects. We could end up losing a good one if the 'hawks aren't careful about development, which is counter to the 'hawks bolstering the defense.
Using the 8 skaters option is the only way to protect both Murphy and Jokiharju if the rules stay the same
Right now it would seem the protection is the following:
Toews
Kane
DeBrincat
Strome
Keith
Seabrook
Jokiharju
Murphy

Exposed decent players:
Caggiula
Dahlstrom
Forsling
Anisimov

UFAs:
Saad
Gustafsson

Exempt:
Anyone not in the NHL now, as anyone who makes their NHL debut next season would be in the final year of their ELC during the expansion draft. Mitchell and Barratt are wild cards due to having NCAA experience, and I'm not sure whether or not they would get 2 or 3 year ELCs.

I am unclear on whether or not Anisimov is required to be protected due to his partial NTC.

If the Hawks do sign either Panarin or Stone, Murphy will likely be exposed.
Some of the Hawks D have to be moved sooner or later, but they're good enough right now (IMO) to not have to sign anyone this offseason and they could have another half season of evaluation before having to make this critical decision.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Using the 8 skaters option is the only way to protect both Murphy and Jokiharju if the rules stay the same
Toews
Kane
DeBrincat
Strome
Keith
Seabrook
Jokiharju
Murphy

Exposed decent players:
Caggiula
Dahlstrom
Forsling
Anisimov

UFAs:
Saad
Gustafsson

Exempt:
Anyone not in the NHL now, as anyone who makes their NHL debut next season would be in the final year of their ELC during the expansion draft. Mitchell and Barratt are wild cards due to having NCAA experience, and I'm not sure whether or not they would get 2 or 3 year ELCs.

I am unclear on whether or not Anisimov is required to be protected due to his partial NTC.

Some of the Hawks D have to be moved sooner or later, but they're good enough right now (IMO) to not have to sign anyone this offseason and they could have another half season of evaluation before having to make this critical decision.
IF there is any question with our youngsters, I'd wait a year ... especially Mitchell. We need to stagger our young DMen playing in the NHL anyways. I suspect Boqvist is the next in line.

Again, certain posters have been warned. If we don't get that compliance buyout in the next CBA, I only have two words: Flame Thrower :)

I'm hoping Seabrook doesn't have to be protected. What we do with Keith before 2021 is anybody's guess.

Anisimov should be traded by then ... and Gus might be re signed. I'm not sure about Saad. By then, he might be an excellent candidate for the bottom six with a lesser contract.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Toews
Kane
DeBrincat
Strome
Keith
Seabrook
Jokiharju
Murphy

Exposed decent players:
Caggiula
Dahlstrom
Forsling
Anisimov

UFAs:
Saad
Gustafsson

Exempt:

That's of course if Murph is a "must keep". He certainly isn't bad in the least but in the 2 years between the expansion draft and now he can do anything between "must keep" and "sacrifice". I would consider only Debrincat a "Must Keep" right now on your list. Every other player without an NMC can go either way between then and now IMHO.

IF there is any question with our youngsters, I'd wait a year ... especially Mitchell. We need to stagger our young DMen playing in the NHL anyways. I suspect Boqvist is the next in line.

Again, certain posters have been warned. If we don't get that compliance buyout in the next CBA, I only have two words: Flame Thrower :)

I'm hoping Seabrook doesn't have to be protected. What we do with Keith before 2021 is anybody's guess.

Anisimov should be traded by then ... and Gus might be re signed. I'm not sure about Saad. By then, he might be an excellent candidate for the bottom six with a lesser contract.
There are only 3 extant contracts signed through 2022: Keith, Seabrook, Toews, Kane, and Murph. Only Murph has no NMC. Seabrook will have to be protected. Even though his NMC relaxes to a NMC/M-NTC, all NMC's have to be protected--like Crawford was.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
That's of course if Murph is a "must keep". He certainly isn't bad in the least but in the 2 years between the expansion draft and now he can do anything between "must keep" and "sacrifice". I would consider only Debrincat a "Must Keep" right now on your list. Every other player without an NMC can go either way between then and now IMHO.

There are only 3 extant contracts signed through 2022: Keith, Seabrook, Toews, Kane, and Murph. Only Murph has no NMC. Seabrook will have to be protected. Even though his NMC relaxes to a NMC/M-NTC, all NMC's have to be protected--like Crawford was.
I'm hoping Seabrook compliance buyout. :)

I'm okay with protecting Murphy. Being forced to protect Keith is one of the reasons why I believe a trade should be at least explored. I can live or not live with Keith as long as we figure out what to do with Seabrook's contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->