DeKeyser

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
I'm so adamant about this because I keep saying over and over that all I get are vague feelings and preconceptions when people try to explain why they don't think DeKeyser has much of an offensive potential. And here you are again saying your notions are partially based on your eye test.

And then you accuse me of nitpicking my stats while you feel free to throw out all sorts caveats for Kronwall's stats.

I'm not trying to say DeKeyser is going to be the awesomest offensive defenseman in the world. I'm saying he's on track to be pretty good. And no one has shown me anything to think otherwise, other than vague feelings and preconceptions.

Well eye test is important. Stats can be misleading without context. Let's say a guy scores 4 goals in a season and 2 of them are lucky bounces or empty netters, it doesn't mean much next to a guy who scores 10 goals and they are all "good" goals.

And what caveat have I thrown out at Kronwall's stats, except him having an injury riddled first season with only 25 games (and the following two he missed substantial time as well)? And I showed he scored 7 ES goals on the second season he got play more than 1/3 of the games (and 15 points in 22 Playoff game on the same season to boot). I don't think it's a caveat to say that it hurt is point totals when he had some established, premier offensive blueliners ahead of him in the depth chart taking most of the prime offensive situation/PP time. DD on the other hand had a lot of time on the PP this year until Zid was acquired, and not a lot to show for it.

I too think DD is on track to becoming a great player, just not on the offensive side.He is 25 and never lit up the scoreboard at any level. On a truly contending d-corps he shouldn't be seeing much PP time, limiting his potential point totals. I think he will be a pretty constant 30P producer, which is fine when you consider how good he is in his own end.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
30 points for any Dman is a good feat

If Danny D gets even more playing time he probably gets 40 points. Maybe even more. I highly doubt it cause if Sproul gets up there Danny D wont be getting more PP time then he was already

Sproul/Marchenko/Ouellet all are I think better in the Ozone then Danny D. Futures bright. If it all pans out.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Dekeyser, like Sheahan, isn't a balls to the walls sort of guy. Those sort of guys tend to go under the radar for a long time. They're smart and that's what they rely on. Experience makes them smarter. These are the players that turn into Larionovs, Lidstroms and Zetterbergs. They have no eye-appealing flare for the most part but, they're very effective. They're sort of the opposite of Tatar. Tatar will only be effective as long as his body and enthusiasm will allow him to be. He starts having injuries and personal problems and his play is more likely to drop... Players like Dekeyser are hard to guage when it comes to his ceiling IMO but, at best, we have a Lidstrom, however unlikely.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
He's played 163 games (including playoffs) and he's already the team's 2nd D after Kronwall. He's also got room to grow, plus he's signed for cheap (2.25M) which is awesome.

Glad to see he chose his hometown team to sign with!

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
30 points for any Dman is a good feat

If Danny D gets even more playing time he probably gets 40 points. Maybe even more. I highly doubt it cause if Sproul gets up there Danny D wont be getting more PP time then he was already

Sproul/Marchenko/Ouellet all are I think better in the Ozone then Danny D. Futures bright. If it all pans out.

How has sproul been doing as late? He's not tearing it up I would think or we'd hear about it. If he's been down there that long and nobody's talking about him cracking the line up like marchenko or oulette then he's still not at there level, sorta calling into question weather he'll be good enough in the end. If he makes it, he's got the physical tools. Might make a good winger with that size and speed, his defensive shortcomings wouldn't be as glaring.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Dekeyser, like Sheahan, isn't a balls to the walls sort of guy. Those sort of guys tend to go under the radar for a long time. They're smart and that's what they rely on. Experience makes them smarter. These are the players that turn into Larionovs, Lidstroms and Zetterbergs. They have no eye-appealing flare for the most part but, they're very effective. They're sort of the opposite of Tatar. Tatar will only be effective as long as his body and enthusiasm will allow him to be. He starts having injuries and personal problems and his play is more likely to drop... Players like Dekeyser are hard to guage when it comes to his ceiling IMO but, at best, we have a Lidstrom, however unlikely.

This is a good point. You won't see much of flashy stuff from him, but he is smart and effective.
I have him as a core player, I guess I value him the most on the board. I have also said he would be better than both Tatar and Nyquist. The time will show.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
This is a good point. You won't see much of flashy stuff from him, but he is smart and effective.
I have him as a core player, I guess I value him the most on the board. I have also said he would be better than both Tatar and Nyquist. The time will show.

Likewise here!

He's very cool under pressure too. Tatar likes to go into traffic areas but, he likes it when it's on his own terms. Watch him or Nyquist get pressured trying to keep the puck in the zone and they fumble. Watching Dekeyser in the same situations is really a treat IMO. The puck can be right on the blue paint with an opposing player point blank to him and DK still, more often than not, has the set of mind to make the right play.

He still has quite a bit to learn but I'm very satisfied in what I'm seeing so far from him. Very smart, very calculated and is improving all around.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
How has sproul been doing as late? He's not tearing it up I would think or we'd hear about it. If he's been down there that long and nobody's talking about him cracking the line up like marchenko or oulette then he's still not at there level, sorta calling into question weather he'll be good enough in the end. If he makes it, he's got the physical tools. Might make a good winger with that size and speed, his defensive shortcomings wouldn't be as glaring.

He is still a very young defenseman. If he played a full season he would have 30 points.. Not outstanding but good in the AHL

Im concerned what will the next AHL coach do to our prospects.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He is still a very young defenseman. If he played a full season he would have 30 points.. Not outstanding but good in the AHL

Im concerned what will the next AHL coach do to our prospects.

The next AHL coach is likely Lalonde. Who just took the Toledo Walleye from the worst team in the AHL to one of the best in one season. He is a promising bench boss as well.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
DeKeyser has been our best D-man through the first two games. Very happy with his play through two games. Also really like his physicality as he has upped it for the playoffs. Looking very good out there, having a little trouble with the outlet at times, but still great sign for DeKeyser, he was not great at all last year in the playoffs, so happy to see him step up his game this go round.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
DeKeyser has been our best D-man through the first two games. Very happy with his play through two games. Also really like his physicality as he has upped it for the playoffs. Looking very good out there, having a little trouble with the outlet at times, but still great sign for DeKeyser, he was not great at all last year in the playoffs, so happy to see him step up his game this go round.

Agreed.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I think he's been our best defenseman these last two games.

I don't think he's getting much help, though. Marchenko has been shaky and has been caught a couple of times. The forwards are a little scatterbrained in their own zone, too.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
How? He's made plenty of mistakes, and has been god awful in the offensive zone with the puck.

But he isn't a good offensive D-man and none of our D-man provided much in the way of offensive looks so the point remains. To date he has been our best D-man in the series.... I like his physicality and what he has been bringing. But again I am not one of those that sees huge offense from DeKeyser and attaches much meaning to its presence in his game.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
How? He's made plenty of mistakes, and has been god awful in the offensive zone with the puck.

Tell me who is good in the Ozone, That isnt garbage in his own zone or takes stupid penalties

Kronwall? Hes a top pair dman, Of course he is.

Name someone else.

im waiting

Hasnt made many more mistakes then Big Error Or quincey (for penalties) and Marchenko (still a rookie) if at all

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Tell me who is good in the Ozone, That isnt garbage in his own zone or takes stupid penalties

Kronwall? Hes a top pair dman, Of course he is.

Name someone else.

im waiting

Hasnt made many more mistakes then Big Error Or quincey (for penalties) and Marchenko (still a rookie) if at all

I loathe Ericsson, but I don't think he's been that bad in this series to be honest. Zidlicky has looked good; the penalty he got called for in Game 2 was very weak, I don't blame him for that one.

Marchenko is the only other defenseman I've been very underwhelmed with.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
But he isn't a good offensive D-man and none of our D-man provided much in the way of offensive looks so the point remains. To date he has been our best D-man in the series.... I like his physicality and what he has been bringing. But again I am not one of those that sees huge offense from DeKeyser and attaches much meaning to its presence in his game.

It's not that I'm expecting him to be an offensive defenseman, it's that I expect him not to be a total possession killer. He struggles to keep the puck under control at the blue line which results in having to set up in the zone again. And like MTU mentioned above, he hasn't gotten his shots through either.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I loathe Ericsson, but I don't think he's been that bad in this series to be honest. Zidlicky has looked good; the penalty he got called for in Game 2 was very weak, I don't blame him for that one.

Marchenko is the only other defenseman I've been very underwhelmed with.

Zidlicky has looked terrible. Did you miss the SH goal he allowed in game 1?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad