GBU Deja Vu All Over Again, Loss at NYI 3-2 10/14/23

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
There's no need to blow up this roster. You just need someone else managing and coaching it, if things get that bad.

My confidence in these two has always been lower than most, and it's going to hit zero soon.

I'm not as optimistic as you.

This team has been built as a fantasy team. There are no tough forwards aside from Greenway and Benson. The rest are softer than Tinkerbell.

Adams big failure is he tried to assemble the most talented team, not the best team. Now, we have so many similar prospects, none of which have what we really need.

It's also why one should NEVER hire a former player. Given what we now know about CTE, anyone who played should not be managing a team

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I'm not as optimistic as you.

This team has been built as a fantasy team. There are no tough forwards aside from Greenway and Benson. The rest are softer than Tinkerbell.

Adams big failure is he tried to assemble the most talented team, not the best team. Now, we have so many similar prospects, none of which have what we really need.

It's also why one should NEVER hire a former player. Given what we now know about CTE, anyone who played should not be managing a team
Lmao. This f***in board man

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It's disappointing, there were no changes to the coaching staff and everything remained the same. Goalie and top 4 D were not paid. The top 6 is mostly asleep, and the defense still looks bad.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
G
Benson-Mitts-Greenway

Levi standing up when we needed him to

I thought we were the better team in that game despite our top 6 looking like dogshit mostly.

B
Power

Tuch

Tage and Skinner weren’t bad but they weren’t good. I’d say that’s bad for us

Clifton on the first goal.

1st period Benson was the hardest worker and best player. No excuse for an 18 year old to be outplaying the f*** out of our stars players after that stinker home opener.

Starting 0-2-0

U
Cozens with the worst game I’ve ever seen him play. He was f***ing terrible. He sunk us tonight along with…

Olofsson is a boat anchor that we need to cut from immediately.

Feels like this team heard everyone talking about how good they can be and everyone getting paid has them feeling like they aren’t gonna have to put the work in to make the playoffs.

Islanders fans I sat in front of were like a parody of hockey fans. Just jackasses. Yelling “hit him” and “shoooot” every 15 seconds.

Reactions: ceky and Chainshot

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Fire granato, he is bad . Need another coaching
Not Granato's fault that we added a double Ristolainen special in summer.
Watch Johnson on the second goal, holy smokes what a bad effort.

Can we call up the good Johnson now? Show that you need to have some sort if standard effort level when on the ice?

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I guess the one real concern I do have is can Don Granato, or anyone on his staff for that matter, coach defense? Before I throw any players under “they’re awful” category, I haven’t witnessed a good defensive structure within the team since Granato took over. I really am not sure it’s all on the players.

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
Line up changes I'd like to see in the short term to get guys going/provide a spark
1. Mitts to center skinner and tuch and tage to center Benson and Greenway
2. Move cozens to wing move Krebs to center cozens and peterka

Mitts has played well between those two before and mitts has the legs going. Benson and Greenway the way they are skating will open a lot of ice for tage

The cozens to wing should only be short term to help simplify his game and get him going, seems to be fighting everything right now from catching passes to making passes to generally being in the way

I think both those moves were staring granato in the face and was surprised he didn't make a move in game

Defensively I'd like to see them bring up Johnson from Rochester but realistically we are to early to do that

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Yes that’s what I said. Good call. Totally didn’t point to the obvious holes that needed to be addressed so they could overcome issues instead of holding their breath everyone is healthy and at their best and the refs are fair and the bounces never go against them.

Do you think that the consistently good teams never have those things happen? Or that they are built to deal with parts falling off?

Meanwhile we are playing Olofsson in the top 6 and hes not on PP1. Which is literally the thing we joked tanking teams should trade for him and do. Granato is doing it unironically

I'm not really going to engage since you've basically had years of practice now spinning reasonable sounding points out of unreasonable hyperbole and sheer persistence. I'd rather just skip past the owning me with all the facts part.

I just found it amusing the part where you said "if Adams only replaced our top 6 F and top 4 D and starting goalie with players who play better, we wouldn't be in this mess".

Last edited:

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Too many pansies on this team, Peterka could’ve tied up his man instead of just reaching with his stick on the GWG. All our top players are soft as hell except Dahlin. Everyone is content to wave their sticks and has no desire to actually play in a physical manner. They don’t need to go out there and try and crush people on every check but have some backbone. Look around the league other teams top players are leading their teams to wins, our top players can’t even sustain offensive zone time and need to be carried by an 18 year old rookie offensively. Entire top line and Cozens aside from a good play here and there have been completely pathetic.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm just going to hope this is was an off game for Clifton because if not...big yikes for that contract.

On the plus side, Mitts line gives them another really good top-9 line. We just need Tage and Cozens to get going, which I expect they will. Krebs was awesome last night, too.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Going back and watching the lowlights of this game, the Sabres got seriously outworked on the puck all night. Islanders always seemed to come away with the puck.

Islanders have more dog in them. Sabres need to find that.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
When will Quinn and Savoie be ready? and who do they replace? Team needs offensive spark.
Team needs more dog and heart in them. When the Sabres tied up the game, the Islanders had them on their heels. The Islanders outworked them in every facet, offense isn't going to help that.

Rangers played like they wanted to win and worked for it, Islanders played like they wanted the win and worked hard for it. The Sabres play like they deserve the win without wanting to work for it.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I guess the one real concern I do have is can Don Granato, or anyone on his staff for that matter, coach defense? Before I throw any players under “they’re awful” category, I haven’t witnessed a good defensive structure within the team since Granato took over. I really am not sure it’s all on the players.
I'm sure that Grabato doesn't tell defensemen to give the puck away, skate away from the situation and then coast while watching the other team score.

For a team that just missed the playoffs we have had a terrible preseason and first two games. Not exactly trending upwards the last month and having two suicide bombers on the third pairing doesn't help.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
A really bad thing with a silver lining.
I had been thinking this in pre-season.

It does not reflect well on the rest of the roster that Benson was able to make the team, and has now been our best player through 2 games.

The kid is good, which is great for the Sabres long term potential, but it does not bode well for the 2023-24 season that an 18 year old rookie is outworking and outplaying everyone else on the roster.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Absent something significant changing, Benson stays. Has to. The first line will eventually start scoring. Mitts is continuing his play from last year’s stretch run, and that line looks good. When Cozens extricates his head from his ass, I’m confident that line will get going — and VO being taken out will help too.

But this roster has a lot of flaws. It’s going to be a fringe team again, which is disappointing.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
It's disappointing, there were no changes to the coaching staff and everything remained the same. Goalie and top 4 D were not paid. The top 6 is mostly asleep, and the defense still looks bad.
It's been 2 games. I don't love some of the coaching, but you have to let things settle in and give it some room.

Reactions: K8fool and Zman5778

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Going back and watching the lowlights of this game, the Sabres got seriously outworked on the puck all night. Islanders always seemed to come away with the puck.

Islanders have more dog in them. Sabres need to find that.
I agree that more determination to win is needed. The lack of intelligent physicality permeates the organization. Size is not the important thing though that helps--but fly by checks are quite the thing with this organization. A ton of skill? yes. Too many defensive lapses --take the man or the puck please when you check-to miss on both is becoming a bit of a hallmark. Yesterday's Amerks game was a classic example of this and only an inspired third period gave them a chance to win. Also if your defensive and break out schemes are ingrained in your team they can react quickly to any situation instead of the helter skelter we often see. Still the Sabres and the brass did not grow stupid over the summer-so I still have high hopes for the playoffs!

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
1000004443.png

Reactions: Zman5778

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: