GBU Deja Vu All Over Again, Loss at NYI 3-2 10/14/23

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Refs were bad.

Olofsson is a SHLer. Loan him and be done with it.

Cozens/Thompson better wake up, but this isn't 925k/1.4mil seasons anymore. You're supposed to be 1C and 2C, and so far, Mittelstadt is doing it all.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
G
-Greenway-Mitts-Benson
-Levi was fine. Would like a save on the 1st goal but made big saves later in the game.
-The PK has improved a lot

B:
-Puck luck
-Our star players being completely invisible

U:
The inconsistency of the officiating.

It's frustrating but once the first line and Cozens gets going, we'll get back on track

hypaspazz

Jan 27, 2017
Houston, TX
ITS ONLY GAME 2. When a lot of the top guys didn't play much preseason its going to take a bit to get into game shape. I thought they played well. Officiating was awful
We get a game that has balanced refereeing and we will get a W.

It is up to the league, which means that we will continue to see a WWE-like product. It is like all teams have been given a unique special skill; the problem is we all know what Bettman bestowed to the Sabres.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Added B:
I love what Okposo’s done for the team from a leadership standpoint, but he looks completely cooked out there so far. Just can’t keep up all that often

Reactions: VaporTrail

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
G: Benson line
B: officiating
U: UBS arena and its reactionary architecture. Worst building in the league.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
G: The Greenway Mitts Benson line

The team woke up a bit in the 2nd.

B: Sabres have played 1 good period out of 6 so far this season.

U: Clifton on the ice for all 3 goals against

Peterka Cozens Olofsson on ice for 2 goals against

NHL officiating

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
We were mostly good tonight. If you deny that then I don’t know what to tell you.

Ridiculous Islanders voodoo rears it’s ugly head!

The ugliest thing about this game are the extreme negative reactions on the former bird app

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The review was bad…

I recall last season a very similar play review and it was considered offsides….that was onsides.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
We get a game that has balanced refereeing and we will get a W.

It is up to the league, which means that we will continue to see a WWE-like product. It is like all teams have been given a unique special skill; the problem is we all know what Bettman bestowed to the Sabres.
I wouldn't go that far. I will say that the way the league has the game officiated it will never be viewed as more than niche. I look at how the NFL and NBA constantly looking at ways to make the game better and let star players shine.

The NHL instead looks for ways to keep games close and teams in the playoff race for as long as possible.

Reactions: kirby11

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
You don’t have a single complaint that the Islanders apparently played a perfectly clean game for the first 55 minutes of the game? When their strategy is based on borderline interference and holding to slow things down?
Correct. Which player did you want penalized and when? People didn't even complain during the game. Just afterwards because they made a bad challenge, had few PP's and lost the game.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’d like for this organization to go into a year with a stated standard and real repercussions for failing to meet them.

not…we’re always looking to improve. not…we can’t hide from the expectations.

Build a team. Demand success. Ship out any coach or player who prevents you from achieving it.

Correct. Which player did you want penalized and when? People didn't even complain during the game. Just afterwards because they made a bad challenge, had few PP's and lost the game.
is this a joke? Go read the gdt. Every interference, hook and holding the stick called in real time.

Reactions: stealth1

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
How about the trip on Clifton leading to the first goal? I remember seeing several trips, holds and instances of interference.

Reactions: Macbanan

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Was at the game tonight, Will do a full post later. But will say one thing, my girlfriend said it felt like Benson was out there every shift because of how noticeable he was making plays and around the puck. He was so f***ing good tonight.

She knows nothing about hockey

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Good
Benson
Greenway
Mitts

Bad
Tage
Clifton
Tuch (he should not only be off the first line, he should be in the press box for Savoie as bad as he's played, he has been utter dog shit

Ugly
GRANATO! HIs player usage is Ralphus level bad
Whining about the 3rd goal. NHL has clearly stated through the years that is possession
Possession = control. Think delayed penalty and what it takes to get a whistle. The same degree of possession is required for off sides.

Did he drag the puck over the line? Was it on his stick? The answer is no and I've seen that rule enforced consistently elsewhere.

The linesman who called the play originally was NOT in position. He was across the ice and NOT on the blue line so his angle of observation was distorted.

The review decision (Toronto? Or by the reviewers on iPads?) I contend was likely predicated on the need to protect the linesman's poor judgement and reputation.

Officials HATE having being shown that they blew the call. It's human nature..

*uck it..... That's enough. Life goes on...

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
At no point did I feel like the Sabres were in control this game.

Benson Mitts Greenway were the only ones that felt like they were setting the pace, and even then any time they tied it up the Islanders kinda easily picked up the pace and took over again. Their goals were kinda flukey but they were created by genuine pressure. Felt like they rope a dope'd us a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad