GBU Deja Vu All Over Again, Loss at NYI 3-2 10/14/23

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Mitts has picked up where he left last year. Looks like a man out there. Dogged on pucks, winning battles, fighting through contact, confident with the puck on his stick, and effort level always at 100. He may never be the offensive dynamo we hoped but he is very much trending to be an excellent middle 6 C.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
This may be the bills again. Getting double fd by new york and their zebras to start a season w a talented team. Hopefully no other bad parallel although tage got rolled up on and probably hurt against the doosh rangers

Clifton got slew footed on first goal

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I'd advise anyone using the "but we played two good teams" excuse not to look at our schedule for the rest of the month.
Good chance we end up 0-5 to start, Tampa gives them fits, Flames have an experienced veteran team in which the veteran experience give them troubles as we see with the Islanders and then we play the Islanders again which a bunch of 35 year olds near retirement out hustle young 20 year olds.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Good chance we end up 0-5 to start, Tampa gives them fits, Flames have an experienced veteran team in which the veteran experience give them troubles as we see with the Islanders and then we play the Islanders again which a bunch of 35 year olds near retirement out hustle young 20 year olds.

If they start 0-5, they're cooked.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
If they start 0-5, they're cooked.
Maybe with the pressure off we get some good hockey? Foreshadowing isn't good tho if this team cant perform under pressure or expectations since that's what playoffs are all about.

If they ever make it.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The reason I am very angry with things right now is that it is the direct result of very poor preparation and training in the preseason. The entire point of a preseason is to be ready when the season starts and the organization failed as badly as possible when it comes to that aspect.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
The reason I am very angry with things right now is that it is the direct result of very poor preparation and training in the preseason. The entire point of a preseason is to be ready when the season starts and the organization failed as badly as possible when it comes to that aspect.
I think the last two camps was so much about experimenting and figuring out what they have (which actually lasted about a month into last season), that the team has not had enough ice time with their linemates or D partners. I think part of the problem is they're coming in rusty in that regard, and we all like Granato's patience to teach but he doesn't exude much intensity or desperation that we can see.

The roster is still very young and they still show some mental processing out there, whether via scheme or familiarity with each other that wasn't settled in camp. Thinking brings intensity down, and they're having to think too much for now. 12-37-9 had more time together in camp, and they look pretty good (or maybe they all just have the most to prove). Most others either didn't get much ice time or not with their actual linemates/partners.

One way or another they need to ramp up the desperation level, because they're supposed to be past the phase of having an 8 game face plant, let alone starting off with one.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Everything else aside, including a few of the ridiculous hot takes, I would love to see Skinner off of the power play. His skill set is just not suited for it.
Benson at the bumper and Skinner off PP1 is the most obviously necessary PP change.

Getting a reasonable share of power play opportunities would be nice too.

Reactions: NotABadPeriod

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Connor McDavid played more preseason games than Connor Clifton
I still don’t get the logic of how a new player can request playing only 2 pre-season games. For what exactly?

We had 7 games. A chance to get up to speed, in sync, close to ready for the season. But let’s trot out the AHL guys over and over.

Reactions: rams

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
G: benson - mitts - greenway has been a revelation to watch.

B: the coaching challenge. i hate using them because the downside is so steep,

U: all of the chicken little's in the GBU. It's game two, everyone.

The @joshjull : I have been sitting down to a heaping plate of crow in regards to mitts. I allowed myself to forget how consistent he was last year and he certainly has picked right up where he left off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad