Defensively: Couturier vs Barkov

Defensively: Couturier vs Barkov

• Total voters

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
For now... looks like a lot of Euro fans and Panthers fans have voted.. once the numbers start getting compared it'll be clear, despite the votes, which. I'm confident will be in Couturier favor even though he's not as popular. Hard to argue with tangible evidence
Lol.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The little recognition that Couturier gets in this league is quite fascinating. He's probably been the second best defensive forward in the league for the last 3 years, there are significant stats to back this up. I can't recall where I saw it, but isn't Couturier playing the most minutes out of any forward in the league right now?

Barkov is right up there with him as a great player. I do question how much rolling Andrew Macdonald, Brandon Manning, the corpse of Mark Streit and Nick Schultz had on his defensive numbers. Not to mention, we don't have a Robert Luongo in net....

Whatever it is, they are both fantastic players. The rest of this thread is just utter drivel.

Tallon killed Floridas depth at the expansion draft. Throughout this whole season Barkov has had to cover for their bottom6, the depth was truly abysmal on the 1st half of the season. Every game Barkov is out there taking extra D-zone draws for their bottom6. Barkov leads the forwards in average icetime per game. He plays brutal D-zone shifts. That's not because they are a great team or have great depth.

B) Bjugstad was a player plenty of Florida fans wanted to get rid of, for free if nothing else. He's Barkov's Rw and Barkov has brought him alive. Barkov carried Jagr last year, he played with a guy who got waived 3x as well, he played with a guy who's been on 4 different teams this year. No matter who's on his line he produces #1C numbers. If you think of C's who make their wingers better just look at Barkov.

I'd like to see Barkov with Giroux on his line and with better depth around him.

C) Let's not pretend Florida is some powerhouse defensively, they don't have a #1D and Pysyk is having a huge down year.
Provorov+Ghost would be money on their blueline, funny how you ignored them like Giroux, who's on a +90 point season.

D)Luongo has missed lot of time due to injuries this season.

Last edited:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I'm confused. Are you saying that no Florida fans voted for Barkov or that Florida actually has no fans?
I’m sure florida fans voted for barkov. But one of the first posts in this thread was Sacco complaining that the votes were skewed because of the panther/euro vote. Yet when you look at the votes for couturier, it’s pretty clear he’s being propped up by the flyers fan base which is roughly 3x the size of the panthers fan base on HF. Just funny how these things work out

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I’m sure florida fans voted for barkov. But one of the first posts in this thread was Sacco complaining that the votes were skewed because of the panther/euro vote. Yet when you look at the votes for couturier, it’s pretty clear he’s being propped up by the flyers fan base which is roughly 3x the size of the panthers fan base on HF. Just funny how these things work out

Do you honestly think it's some sort of insightful commentary that the losing side of a poll has a high ratio of fans of the team that the individual plays for? I'd be surprised if it was anything but that in literally any poll on this site.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I don't watch cats so I wouldn't know, but couturier is a sick bastard when it comes to defense. If Barkov is better in that regard while putting up a points he is, then Florida has someone as dominant as Toews reputation on their hands! Someone like Kopitar.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I don't watch cats so I wouldn't know, but couturier is a sick bastard when it comes to defense. If Barkov is better in that regard while putting up a points he is, then Florida has someone as dominant as Toews reputation on their hands! Someone like Kopitar.
He's not.

Every underlying defensive stat favors Couturier, as well as the eye test..

Barkov's cult only input is "most successful defensive plays" which is a completely subjective, made up stat

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
He's not.

Every underlying defensive stat favors Couturier, as well as the eye test..

Barkov's cult only input is "most successful defensive plays" which is a completely subjective, made up stat
You don’t even watch Barkov lmao. He’s a dominant two way player. You’ll never see Barkov get dominated the way couturier has been by Tavares and others due to his poor foot speed. Eye test lmao. You blind?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
He's not.

Every underlying defensive stat favors Barkov, as well as the eye test..

Couturier's cult only input is "most successful defensive plays" which is a completely subjective, made up stat

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Maybe Mrazek will lead you there lmao.

He can't be any worse than Michael Leighton.

He's not.

Every underlying defensive stat favors Barkov, as well as the eye test..

Couturier's cult only input is "most successful defensive plays" which is a completely subjective, made up stat

Every stat? Are you sure? I had to go back 2 pages to find this:

Especially since Couturier actually has better CA/60, CA/60 rel and ExGA/60 on the PK this season... though Barkov's ExGA/60 rel is better.

CA/60: 93.3 vs 110.02
CA/60 rel: -7.15 vs -0.22

ExGA/60: 6.6 vs 7.88
ExGA/60 rel: -0.26 vs -0.96

Look, I think Barkov has separated himself from Couturier during Florida's playoff push, but hyperbole like that helps nothing. Especially when there's stats in this thread already disproving what you said, it just makes you look ridiculous...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1