Speculation: Defense - Who sits?

ericd

Feb 20, 2007
I like Kaberle better than Bouillon. We pay the guy 4.5 millions. He should have way more points and assists! Cube is alright as injury-prone 7th defenseman and could also work on 4-on-5 situations.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
Same here. Btw I had doubts regarding Emelin as a RD but so far so good!

PP1: Markov - Diaz

PP2: Emelin - Subban

However I don't know if Emelin is good at (1) finding the seams for his shot and (2) sneaking in the slot. I do know he looked good offensively during the WJC and he did put up good numbers during his last season in the KHL. In the NHL I saw some crisp "tape to tape" passes coming from his stick.

Same power play in my opinion. Anyway, defensive corp is a lot better now! From good to very good!

adios tankers! (let's hope it hab raise the level again!)

Zeroknowledge*

Kaberle is most likely already being shopped as we speak. A team might take a shot at him knowing that if he busts they could just buy him out, low risk average reward, can't think of us getting much more than a 3rd-5th rounder for him though.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I like Kaberle better than Bouillon. We pay the guy 4.5 millions. He should have way more points and assists! Cube is alright as injury-prone 7th defenseman and could also work on 4-on-5 situations.

That's the thing.

He doesn't.

And that is a good reason to scratch him, because it's not like he can bring anything else to the team.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
I heard Kaberle was the best hotdog eater in the league along with Craig Rivet, he should spend the rest of the season doing what he does best

M4BFx.gif

I think you may on to something. Maybe what he's needed ever since the Laffs, is a hot dog from their down town. Who knew that those hot dogs were the secret behind Kaberle's success.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Just out of curiosity, was Gomez your favorite player on the team? ;)

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
He pee's fabric softener.

We were having this discussion the other night among us ball hockey players; how in the living hell can a D so soft have played at such a high level in the NHL? He doesn't hit ever, he's never blocked a shot in his life and worst of all he never goes first in the corner. One of earth great mysteries.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
With Bouillon, he's not so good on the PP, but his work on the PK has been good and his physical play 5-on-5 is something the Habs need and Therrien loves. I doubt we see Bouillon spend a night in the press box, especially with the way he's been playing lately. Now that Subban is back, Bouillon will see his ice time reduced, which may work out even better for Cube.

I get that Cube provides an obvious physical presence that Kaberle lacks, but I think people will realize soon enough that Frankie isn't Mr. Dependable himself back there, either.

I understand Kaberle hasn't been his old self for awhile, but I'd still rather at least give him a few more games to see how he looks in limited minutes and as a PP fill-in. It's a new season, and I think people should give him a break and stop looking at his salary. I think in limited minutes on the bottom pairing, he could actually contribute a bit more than Cube can. Not the physical aspect of course, but for puck movement and the natural flow of the offense.

I say give him a few more games, and see if he's improved over last year. Keep Cube as a number 7 in the mean time, and suit him up when we need his physical presence against teams like Boston.

Of course, if a taker for Kaberle comes, and we can get rid of the salary, we should be all over that.

I don't know, I'm in the minority, but I still go with Kaberle as a number 6 guy over Cube. For now, at least.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Depending who the team is playing, play either Kaberle or Bouillon. Hopefully Bouillon plays less than 20 minutes a game now that PK will be back

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
Kaberle is most likely already being shopped as we speak. A team might take a shot at him knowing that if he busts they could just buy him out, low risk average reward, can't think of us getting much more than a 3rd-5th rounder for him though.

That's the thing.

He doesn't.

And that is a good reason to scratch him, because it's not like he can bring anything else to the team.

I think that Bouillon is better than Kaberle but Thomas still owns elite passing skills and he is extremely calm at the point. As a 3rd pairing D/#7D, he is a valuable asset for our Habs.

EDIT:

I get that Cube provides an obvious physical presence that Kaberle lacks, but I think people will realize soon enough that Frankie isn't Mr. Dependable himself back there, either.

I understand Kaberle hasn't been his old self for awhile, but I'd still rather at least give him a few more games to see how he looks in limited minutes and as a PP fill-in. It's a new season, and I think people should give him a break and stop looking at his salary. I think in limited minutes on the bottom pairing, he could actually contribute a bit more than Cube can. Not the physical aspect of course, but for puck movement and the natural flow of the offense.

I say give him a few more games, and see if he's improved over last year. Keep Cube as a number 7 in the mean time, and suit him up when we need his physical presence against teams like Boston.

Of course, if a taker for Kaberle comes, and we can get rid of the salary, we should be all over that.

I don't know, I'm in the minority, but I still go with Kaberle as a number 6 guy over Cube. For now, at least.

So your 3rd pairing would be Kaberle - Diaz? If so, I don't like it. Bouillon - Diaz is a more balanced pairing.

Last edited:

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Who sits? Easy, it's.....Actually I have no idea who I'd sit. I'm glad it's MT's problem.

Good problem to have though.

ericd

Feb 20, 2007
Why not sit Emelin (zero offense) or play 7 D and sit one of Armstrong/White/Moen?

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Markov Emelin
Gorges Subban
Bouillon Daiz

A puck mover and a hard hitter on ever pair, Kaberle in vs weaker teams, by deadline trade Kaberle for wtv, puck movers are in demand during the deadline, and with a short season, a lot more buyers than sellers at the trade deadline. Plus if anything buy him out later.

Best part is for 50 plus min either Subban or Markov are going to be on the ice.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Why not sit Emelin (zero offense) or play 7 D and sit one of Armstrong/White/Moen?

There is no way we sit him, but having a 7th defencemen is an interesting option against certain team,

PP

1st wave Markov - Diaz

2nd wave Kaberle - Subban

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut

Have you watched Emelin this year?? He has been fantastic,not to mention that he's one of the top hitting D men in the entire league!

As for playing 7 D; it would make our 4th line pretty ineffective!

Do you not remember the STUPID 4th lines we had under Gainey, Martin and Cunneyworth where Weber played on the 4th line. It was a disaster!

Kaberle is so soft in his own zone and with Diaz, Markov, PK being able to distribute the puck PLUS shoot it...Kaberle sits and Weber gets traded.

No Brainer!

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
You don't actually watch hockey, right?

I will take this opportunity to point out that Emelin is a wonderful hockey player, at one point i was pretty sure we'd never get him with all the contracts he was signing in Russia, and then he finaly came... to be awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad