Speculation: Defense - Who sits?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
According to some geniuses on Antichambre, PK sits. :biglaugh:

Actually, he should sit the next game at the very least.

But that's not called "sitting", that's called "getting to know the system".

PK will be back after a loss, or after the next Winnipeg-Ottawa string.

Oh, in re sitting Emelin...

Sitting our 2nd best D-Men so far is... well, tanking. Actually, any move that doesn't involve sitting Kaberle and Weber is tanking.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
According to some geniuses on Antichambre, PK sits. :biglaugh:

Well, he's likely to sit tuesday and wednesday.

I'm fully expecting him to play this weekend.

Now, on Kaberle, we're in no rush. Remember last time we had too much Ds, and traded O'Byrne? Then everyone got hurt at the same time. It's a short season, but a packed one, and depth is worth gold in that kind of situation.

I rather have someone unhappy but working hard to get back in the lineup.

But, personally, Bouillon stays in. He played great in the last 2 games, and a Kaberle/Diaz pairing against a fairly meaty line is something I'd rather not think about.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
Holy Crap, what the hell is going on in this thread?
Sit Emelin?

Honestly, I'd swap out Boullion and Kaberle according to the opposing teams. But Boullion is looking better than I had anticipated.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Markov - Emelin

Gorges - Diaz

Boullion - Subban

PP

Diaz, Markov, Subban, Boullion

PK

Markov Emelin, Gorges Boullion

= thread

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
I just hope that they don't force Subban into the top-line PP. Markov and Diaz have great chemistry and I think having Diaz there will be great for his development. Subban and Gorges/Emelin/Kaberle/Bouillon will be the second pairing. Anyway, Subban is a shooter and Markov has been doing all the shooting lately. It would be dumb to have Markov become the set-up guy when he's the one scoring all the goals.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
in order

markov
pk
emelin
diaz
gorges
bouillon
kaberle
weber
tinordi
st-denis

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I just hope that they don't force Subban into the top-line PP. Markov and Diaz have great chemistry and I think having Diaz there will be great for his development. Subban and Gorges/Emelin/Kaberle/Bouillon will be the second pairing. Anyway, Subban is a shooter and Markov has been doing all the shooting lately. It would be dumb to have Markov become the set-up guy when he's the one scoring all the goals.

I kind of agree. PP is really clicking right now and a huge part of the 3 game winning streak. 5th in the league right now. But on the flip side, I think PK has stuff to learn about manning the PP and there really is no better teacher than learning hands-on from Markov. It'll be interesting to see what the coaching staff does.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The great thing about PK returning to the D core is not just that Boullion-Diaz will have less minutes but that the large majority of the game will be

Markov-Emelin
Subban-Gorges

Both of those pairs can play 30mins each if need be. Now, of course they won't but the fact that we have two pairs capable of playing more than competent top line minutes makes our D core pretty solid going forward, we can shorten the bench if need be and we can even put markov and subban together for extra offense if the situation calls for it. I won't be holding my breath having Boullion-diaz on the ice a la campoli/kaberle last season (shudder).

Markov-Emelin can even be the #2 pairing, getting them better assignments and better mismatches to rack up points, and allow Subban and Gorges to shut down the top lines of the opposition. This takes a great strain off Markov and his health/stamina (he isn't a young guy anymore, and though hes not ancient, its best to have him as fresh as possible) and Emelin will have more of a safety net since Gorges>Emelin. This could allow Emelin to blossom offensively as well against weaker competition. Really looking forward to having PK back. Plus our D core next year could be:

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Subban
Tinordi-Diaz
UFA/rookie

:handclap::handclap::handclap::yo::yo::yo:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Actually, he should sit the next game at the very least.
Well, he's likely to sit tuesday and wednesday.

He won't sit those one out, he just won't be ready by then.
This deal was finalized tonight. So, he's probably gonna come to Mtl to pass his physical tomorrow. He'll gather his things up, deal with logistics and meet the team in Ottawa.
There's no way he will play a game without even practicing once with this team.
So, he'll be with the team Wednesday, maybe have a skate with the team, perhaps stay longer on the ice to work on some things with the coaching staff.
Then back in Mtl to have full practices + videos on Thursday and Friday. Be good to go for Saturday. If he doesn't play in those games, than it's considered a sitting. Before that he just doesn't have the time.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
The idea of Subban as the lone defenceman on PP2 is great, especially when you can put Plekanec on the point with him, or have two guys down low and him on one of the half-boards. Martin did it for awhile with Pleks back there and it had some moderate success. Plus, Pleks will be playing PK1 and ES2, so minimal icetime on PP2 shouldn't wear him out much.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC

100% agree. If Diaz is doing the job/being effective/developing into something greater don't stop him. Having PK on the second wave allows us to have depth and a way more dangerous PP. Markov, PK, and Diaz all have cannons and it's probably easier to have the two lesser shots of Markov and Diaz keeping defenders honest and have the best shot, PK, on the second wave against weaker PKers, especially if MT can draw up a good PP strategy to get PK open.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Markov: 24-25 min (2nd PK/1st PP/Medium ES min)
Subban: 24-25 min (1st PK/2nd PP/Hard ES min)
Gorges: 22-23 min (1st PK/No PP/Hard ES min)
Emelin: 20-22 min (2nd PK/2nd PP/Medium ES min)
Diaz: 15-18 min (reserve PK/1st PP/Soft ES min)
Boullion: 15-18 min (reserve PK/No PP/Soft ES min)
Weber: #7 D
Kaberle: trade

Apr 28, 2010
I say Markov should play both PP units. I mean who wants to see the General in the bench during a powerplay?

Diaz-Markov
Subban-Markov

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
He won't sit those one out, he just won't be ready by then.
This deal was finalized tonight. So, he's probably gonna come to Mtl to pass his physical tomorrow. He'll gather his things up, deal with logistics and meet the team in Ottawa.
There's no way he will play a game without even practicing once with this team.
So, he'll be with the team Wednesday, maybe have a skate with the team, perhaps stay longer on the ice to work on some things with the coaching staff.
Then back in Mtl to have full practices + videos on Thursday and Friday. Be good to go for Saturday. If he doesn't play in those games, than it's considered a sitting. Before that he just doesn't have the time.

That's what I meant. I didn't mean Therrien going to him and yelling YOU'RE NOT PLAYING I HATE YOU :laugh:

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I would sit Kaberle and Weber.

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Boullion - Diaz
Kaberle

I would say trade Kaberle but if we're fighting for a playoff spot instead of fighting for first overall like some thought I would say keep Kaberle over Weber.

I was at the game Sunday and Weber looked absolutely horrible. I know he hasn't played but he didn't look anything like an NHL d-man - stupid passes, bad positioning, poor reads, no compete.

I think Kaberle gets bought out at the end of the year and we bring in another bottom pairing d on a short term deal as we wait for Tinordi to be ready.

vipergtx18*

MT is the reason Bouillion is back so why would he sit him, weber and kaberle are out. No speculation, that is fact

DailyKaizen

Just get rid of Kaberle. At any cost. I would much rather see St.Denis, Bealieau or Tinordi learning from their mistakes instead of seeing a guy paid 4,250,000$ making them.

My philosophy as well...one hopes MB is trying to up the value of Kaberle so we can get rid of this crappy deadwood...I shall rejoice when Kaberle is gone because he is indeed the weakest link in our D core...I have more confidence in Weber...than I do in Kaberle...

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
Markov: 24-25 min (2nd PK/1st PP/Medium ES min)
Subban: 24-25 min (1st PK/2nd PP/Hard ES min)
Gorges: 22-23 min (1st PK/No PP/Hard ES min)
Emelin: 20-22 min (2nd PK/2nd PP/Medium ES min)
Diaz: 15-18 min (reserve PK/1st PP/Soft ES min)
Boullion: 15-18 min (reserve PK/No PP/Soft ES min)
Weber: #7 D
Kaberle: trade

this is what our d will look like when pk returns.looks great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad