GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champs St. Louis Blues vs. Carolina| Eddy Gets His Ring|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Yep, nice to see Berube's pateience with him pay off. Most fans wanted to jettison him, but he's proving that he belongs. And even getting PK time now? Yes, he did make that one ill-advised pass on the PK, but it's clear that Berube trusts him. Don't look now but the kid is on a 40-point pace.
He also has exceeded his Career high in points. (Of course his career high is only 20, but its still something). If Sanford can be a good middle 6. Then the horrible Oshie trade looks a little less horrible.

Reactions: Reality Czech

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
He also has exceeded his Career high in points. (Of course his career high is only 20, but its still something). If Sanford can be a good middle 6. Then the horrible Oshie trade looks a little less horrible.
How so? Sanford we got for shattenkirk. Not oshie.

Its weird how many people ive seen that think we got him for oshie

Oshie got us brouwer, phoenix copley and a 3rd round pick, that i believe we later traded along with our first round pick to move up in 1st round of draft and get tage thompson.

All players are gone(well i guess brouwer is back)

Last edited:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Yep, nice to see Berube's pateience with him pay off. Most fans wanted to jettison him, but he's proving that he belongs. And even getting PK time now? Yes, he did make that one ill-advised pass on the PK, but it's clear that Berube trusts him. Don't look now but the kid is on a 40-point pace.

but...but...we could trade him to LA with a 2nd for Toffoli. Who knows...Toffoli may score at a 40-point pace for the Blues the rest of the way!

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Couple goals allowed by Dunn - Faulk. First one was clearly Dunn's fault and second Bozak quided take your own man and Faulk was late. I can't compeletely put blame on Faulk, but..

Looks like Gunnar - Pietro played together strong game.

Great to have such a deep RHD side, but having one of the RHD (Faulk) whos can play only with 1 dmen for having success is really problematic.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Couple goals allowed by Dunn - Faulk. First one was clearly Dunn's fault and second Bozak quided take your own man and Faulk was late. I can't compeletely put blame on Faulk, but..

Looks like Gunnar - Pietro played together strong game.

Great to have such a deep RHD side, but having one of the RHD (Faulk) whos can play only with 1 dmen for having success is really problematic.

The trouble with Gunnar is - he won't last ten games without an injury.

He someone compared his career injury stats with Colaiacovo's?

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Sanford has been playing really well, although he's still prone to some really dumb plays. Hoping he keeps it up as his size and skill is definitely an asset to the team when he's on his game.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

Oshie got us brouwer, phoenix copley and a 3rd round pick, that i believe we later traded along with our first round pick to move up in 1st round of draft and get tage thompson.

so Oshie got us ROR and a cup?

Reactions: MissouriMook

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
so Oshie got us ROR and a cup?
I guess if you want to equate the trading up to get a higher draft pick and using that said player we got from that pick as PART of a trade for another player, then technically yes. Lol

Of course we could have done another trade to move up to get thompson in that draft or traded a prospect other than thompson to get oreilley, but what the heck. Oshie got us a cup!!!!

Reactions: Mike Liut

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I honestly can't think of a stretch of good play by Sanford that's even remotely close to this long. He usually falls off after 3-4 games, but he's been great for 10+ games now. I think a lot of it has to do with his physicality, it keeps him much more engaged from shift to shift.

tomin

AintNoSeats
Sponsor
Dec 18, 2014
If my memory is right I think I noticed his consistent improvement game to game since he came back from being healthy scratched for while late dec/early jan maybe.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
If my memory is right I think I noticed his consistent improvement game to game since he came back from being healthy scratched for while late dec/early jan maybe.
He was scratched (all healthy, I believe) for the last 5 games of December 2019. He has played every game since the start of the new year. His first 4 games of 2020 he had no points, 4 PIMs and was a -3. His last 9 games since then he has 5g, 6a, is a +9 and has only 2 PIMs. I'm not sure what got through to him, but this Sanford can stay as long as he likes. We could probably even start using his name right if he keeps this up.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

Honestly, I goofed, I got the 2 mixed up. I for some reason remembered Oshie for Brouwer+Sanford. Idk why. My bad.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
As many others have said Sanford has been playing pretty well. That being said, I dont think any of us are concerned about whether or not Sanford can play well in short spurts. The issue is he seems to go on a hot streak of 5-10 games and then disappear for 30 while still playing with the ROR Perron line which is not good. He doesn't need to continually play as well as he is right now but if he's going to be on that line he needs consistent production to a 45-50 point degree.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I was a little surprised to see Edmundson be as demonstrative with his former teammates before the game. Hugs and fist bumps. I’m glad he was, but contrast that with Maroon who was more reserved. I’m sure Pat was friendly with the guys behind the scenes, but he had his game day face on.

I wonder if any Canes players were bothered by it.

I think the difference is that Maroon feels some leadership responsibility, but Edmundson doesn’t. In Carolina, he’s just a guy. Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but I know in years past no player would have dared to be openly chummy with his opponent before a game.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
As many others have said Sanford has been playing pretty well. That being said, I dont think any of us are concerned about whether or not Sanford can play well in short spurts. The issue is he seems to go on a hot streak of 5-10 games and then disappear for 30 while still playing with the ROR Perron line which is not good. He doesn't need to continually play as well as he is right now but if he's going to be on that line he needs consistent production to a 45-50 point degree.
But he’s just keeping Tarasenko’s spot in the lineup warm. It’s not a big deal if he is only on a hot streak.

For me, I think Berube’s patience with Sanford looks validated.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I was a little surprised to see Edmundson be as demonstrative with his former teammates before the game. Hugs and fist bumps. I’m glad he was, but contrast that with Maroon who was more reserved. I’m sure Pat was friendly with the guys behind the scenes, but he had his game day face on.

I think the difference is that Maroon feels some leadership responsibility, but Edmundson doesn’t. In Carolina, he’s just a guy. Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but I know in years past no player would have dared to be openly chummy with his opponent before a game.
Interesting contrast. Maroon was a St. Louis native and had strong ties to city, but he was a short-timer with club. Eddie was drafted by Blues and came up with team, from minors on. He was apparently really close with many of the guys. By all accounts he was great guy. Maybe liked to have a bit too much fun and more a follower than leader, but I think he was generally super tight with his mates.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Maroon was still talking to the bench and stuff so it was still there.

I think it’s fine. If any Carolina player had an issue with it then they’d be an idiot. A Stanley Cup ring is something to celebrate and I’m really glad Edmundson acted like a normal human being instead of a robot.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Maroon gave hugs to Petro, Tarasenko, Steen and Army before getting his ring and then gave them all another round of hugs after he tried he ring on and had to put it back in the box. He was joking with our bench on the way to and from getting the ring and then had a big smile when he lined up for the draw (as did Berube). Other than Eddy fist bumping down the bench and getting grabbed by Panger, the ceremony was pretty much the same. I wouldn't say Maroon was any more reserved than Eddy.

I'd be stunned if any Canes players had a problem with it. If they did, they are almost certainly an unpopular guy in the locker room. This is a league that sees most teams turn over 50% of their roster every few years. Every guy who has been a pro for more than a year has friends scattered across the league that they grab dinner with when the teams play each other. This was a Tuesday night regular season game against a non-Conference rival. No one cares about a guy enjoying a once in a lifetime moment with former teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad