GDT: Defending Stanley Cup Champ St. Louis Blues vs. Calgary| Plz No One Else Get Hurt|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Not to take away what our third line did tonight (I am really happy with their play!!), but Calgary gave them an inordinate amount of space.
Yea and it reflected in the points, but they were really good against Tampa too. They were really good with small ice plays that broke out guys tonight

Reactions: Blueston

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Or Petro. Or Colt. This team has much more talent than we get credit for.
Pure offense though...Tarasenko is just above them. His shoot is unmatched and his passing/vision is elite. I'm open to Thomas possibly being better with that but splitting hairs there. Petro is underrated AF offensively, I could see him putting up 70pts if he eats up enough PP time and the forwards are going.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Pure offense though...Tarasenko is just above them. His shoot is unmatched and his passing/vision is elite. I'm open to Thomas possibly being better with that but splitting hairs there. Petro is underrated AF offensively, I could see him putting up 70pts if he eats up enough PP time and the forwards are going.
Not disagreeing. Just fighting against narrative (not necessarily by you) that we are bunch of grinders.

Reactions: Dbrownss

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Its mind boggling. He was so bad on the Orielly line and flat out dominates on the 3rd. In all aspects of the game too. QoC might be different but not enough to account for the night and day difference.

There was a stretch where the Sanford-ROR line was dominant, but he just disappears for 10+ games at a time.

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009
Interesting: there is an original 90s home jersey behind Pang and Binny. Wonder why they reversed the colors on the collars of the throwbacks.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Yea and it reflected in the points, but they were really good against Tampa too. They were really good with small ice plays that broke out guys tonight
And Tampa was not so great defensively either.

Again, this isn’t to downplay how they are playing. You have to play well to show well. But, I want to see this against a team playing strong defense. “This” not meaning a boat load of goals like tonight, but rather the strong play.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
There was a stretch where the Sanford-ROR line was dominant, but he just disappears for 10+ games at a time.
Last year, yes. This year, he never looked good with them. I understood the initial line but after several games, it just wasnt there anymore

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Good win boys. More of that please. I must admit as much as I'm enjoying the Blues win. I'm also Flames fan but I like the Blues much more. I don't like seeing them getting smoked like this.

At first I hated the jerseys but they grew on me as the game went on.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
And Tampa was not so great defensively either.

Again, this isn’t to downplay how they are playing. You have to play well to show well. But, I want to see this against a team playing strong defense. “This” not meaning a boat load of goals like tonight, but rather the strong play.
I know what you're getting at, but you have to factor in that the Blues were forcing the play. Now there will be nights where they will be shut down but knowing they can light it up like this......its just another focal point for other teams

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Not to take away what our third line did tonight (I am really happy with their play!!), but Calgary gave them an inordinate amount of space.
Good point. Thomas has been a little gun shy, and Sanford isn't that tough. I could see that line being much less effective against a strong, physical fore-check. The are a little bit soft, except for Sundqvist. I would like to see Thomas regain some of the grittiness and defensive awareness he had in Junior.

Last edited:

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019
Its mind boggling. He was so bad on the Orielly line and flat out dominates on the 3rd. In all aspects of the game too. QoC might be different but not enough to account for the night and day difference.
Some that I’m sure has to do with the lines you matchup against. Going to get paired against a much tougher line with Perron/RoR than on the 3rd

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Some that I’m sure has to do with the lines you matchup against. Going to get paired against a much tougher line with Perron/RoR than on the 3rd
True, but the game is fluid enough to where teams are trying to get their good lines out against your bottom 6.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I know what you're getting at, but you have to factor in that the Blues were forcing the play. Now there will be nights where they will be shut down but knowing they can light it up like this......its just another focal point for other teams
Certainly. It’s not that other teams were the sole reason for their success. Just as they weren’t the sole reason. Their play is certainly cause for celebration. I enjoyed all of their goals. It was a blast to watch a blow out for a change and for our third line to be driving that train for once.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Surprised there’s no Dunn thread yet on main boards - I heard that the Calgary announcers think it should be suspendable. Dunn did get his head, but that was inevitable given the player’s position and with his head down. Will be interesting to see if there are any ramifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad