GDT: Defending Cup Champs St.Louis Blues vs. Anaheim|The Dads are here and aren't mad just disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Pretty much agree with this whole assessment. The episode was almost certainly cardiac given the use of CPR, which rules out any more benign cause of syncope (i.e. vasovagal, hypotension, etc). Also, there was no evidence of seizure like activity, and there's no indication he had any sort of stroke given the reports that he had full range of motion and was otherwise alert, oriented, and neurologically intact.

The fact that this has never happened before and is only happening now at the age of 36 is concerning. However, given that he's an elite athlete I think it's pretty unlikely that he had any sort of infarction or ischemic attack.

When something like this happens to younger, elite athletes, my thoughts almost immediately go to certain genetic conditions, such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (most common cause of sudden cardiac death in young athletes) and Long QT syndrome. These are obviously both very serious, but usually happen without any warning. A-fib is certainly possible in an elite athlete and may explain the use of a defibrillator, which would have been used to cardiovert rather than defibrillate strictly speaking.

My thoughts and prayers are with Jay.
They said it was cardiac last night...

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Wasnt there suppose to be an update this morning?

They released a statement 4 hours ago that DA would address the media "this afternoon" from LV and they will stream it live. But nothing since, not even a comment as to when DA would speak. Its odd they would tell everyone they will stream it live and here we are 4 hours later and they still have not told anyone when it will happen. They may have meant afternoon LV time which is only 12:47 right now.

The team was supposed to fly to LV last night after the game but that did not happen. I would think they have arrived in LV by now but not sure. I dont believe DA was with the team in Anaheim, so regardless of where the team is that doesnt mean DA is with them.

EDIT: Right after i post that Blues announce the presser will be at 3:30 central time, so about 40 mins from now

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
They released a statement 4 hours ago that DA would address the media "this afternoon" from LV and they will stream it live. But nothing since, not even a comment as to when DA would speak. Its odd they would tell everyone they will stream it live and here we are 4 hours later and they still have not told anyone when it will happen. They may have meant afternoon LV time which is only 12:47 right now.

The team was supposed to fly to LV last night after the game but that did not happen. I would think they have arrived in LV by now but not sure. I dont believe DA was with the team in Anaheim, so regardless of where the team is that doesnt mean DA is with them.

EDIT: Right after i post that Blues announce the presser will be at 3:30 central time, so about 40 mins from now
Thanks for the update. :thumbu:

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Army confirmed they had to use the AED on him but that he is stable now. Team is currently in Vegas and will play tomorrow. He also asked that the media respect the privacy of all the players and not ask them about last night outside of the press conference.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Sounds like Bouwmeester is doing well at the hospital. Which is very good to hear.

From a hockey perspective it will be interesting to see how the Blues begin the next game against Vegas tomorrow. They are trying to restore some normalcy in terms of preparation for tomorrow. Also it was interesting for DA to say the NHL might have to shift other games for the Blues or Ducks for the makeup game and that it will begin at 1-1 and have the entire game played.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Honestly at this point I would be shocked if he plays another game. I know personal health is more important but I feel so bad for him and his family. What a ****ty way to leave the game if that’s how it works out.
I'd love to see him come back and play another game, then he'd get to hang up his skates on his own terms rather than this being the end of his career.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Honestly at this point I would be shocked if he plays another game. I know personal health is more important but I feel so bad for him and his family. What a ****ty way to leave the game if that’s how it works out.
Yeah, I can't imagine what his wife was going through while all that was going on.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’m glad Jay is alright. But I find I’m pretty bummed about the season right now. I don’t care what happens in the next game. What a traumatic way to go out.

I really don’t know how the players are supposed to get up for a game. I won’t be surprised if they flounder for a while.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO

You're absolutely correct, no question. But the silver lining is IF he does have to call it quits at least this happened beforehand...

5d03016dbb339.image.jpg

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Echo's of how #2's career ended.
Sucks.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'd love to see him come back and play another game, then he'd get to hang up his skates on his own terms rather than this being the end of his career.
Playing one more game just to "avoid" having to retire for health reasons wouldn't help any. You can't fool yourself. If he HAS played his last NHL game, at least he he got his Stanley Cup winning season in. Many others were not so lucky. The typical "Bluesy" ending to Jay's scenario would have been for him to have played 8 years for The Blues, and then retired. And then, The Blues win The Cup the very next season. I think he'll be happy medical people were there to help him, and that he'll be around to enjoy a normal lifespan, and that he had a good career and not only finally got some playoff seasons in, but also got to play a significant role on a Stanley Cup winning team. Lots of NHL 15 and even 20 year veterans miss out on the latter.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
It has to be. He’s a dad now and he’s at that retirement age. He is in fantastic shape and is playing at a high level but it is indeed time because there’s no way he can risk something like this again.

Love ya, Jay. So happy you got to raise the Cup last June.
probably the prudent thing to do, if he has an undiagnosed heart condition then playing hockey will be risky. If he requires a bypass or stent that will take a lot of recovery time and no guarantee of being able to handle an NHL workload. No shame in hanging them up at this stage of his career, hoping for a full recovery either way

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Such a freak accident to a guy by all accounts is in the best shape on the team.
Bill Clinton and Dave Letterman were both thin and healthy but would have died without heart surgery. You just never know what somebody's arteries are like from the outside they could be a ticking time bomb. It's genetics more than anything plus often trans fats in the diet (margarine, processed baked goods, etc)

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

StrBender

Mar 7, 2005
North Shore, MA
Boston fan here. After seeing what took place last night, I'm grateful that he's still here. I always wished the Bruins signed him at some point. He has always appeared to be a class act, and if this is the end of his playing career, he'll be missed. But hockey is a game, although some are lucky to make it a career. Family is way more important and to have his Dad there last night was a Blessing. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Army said in his press conference a half hour ago that the game WILL be replayed in its entirety (an entire new 60 minutes, however, it will start 1-1, and Barbashev and the other point earners will get their points, goalies will get their time on ice and goals against, and skaters will get the added time on ice.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
I know many of you are somewhat against the make up game, myself initially included but now, now I'm looking forward to it and hope Jay is well enough to play and if not I still hope he can be there to drop the puck. I think many ducks fans including myself would love to give him a standing ovation.

I'm sure you and the Ducks fans would love that opportunity......and I'd love to see it. Kudos to you, the other fans, the Ducks team and organization, and arena staff (particularly the medical staff) for the classy way everybody responded. It was a credit to the sport and an example for others to follow.

I'm just thankful for a good outcome.....which is JayBo's overall health. I didn't see the game. I was monitoring it on the NHL scoreboard and saw the game stuck at 7:50 left in the first period for an eternity. I checked into the play by play and saw "Player Injury" listed. I then looked up the game and saw what was happening. My heart sank into my stomach. Like many, seeing the video clips I expected the worse. Even seeing he was responsive late last night, I woke up this morning dreading the worst.

This one is tough for me because it brings back memories of what was the longest night of my life. I lost my dad when I was 20 years old, the day after Christmas. He literally collapsed in front of me, and it was him and me against the world until the EMTs got there. It seemed like an eternity even though it was less than five minutes. It was a battle we lost, and I honestly knew it was lost by the time they got there. The world ran in slow motion during that event.

I just wish him and his family the best possible outcome. Whether that involves hockey is irrelevant.

There are events that, in an instant, put life in perspective.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Wouldn't be shocked if he hangs up the skates. He's made millions in his career, won a gold medal, and won the cup. He's accomplished more than most NHLers. He's 36 with a family and I just don't see why risking your life just to play a few more games/seasons. His contract is up at the end of the season anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad