GDT: Defending Cup Champs St.Louis Blues vs. Anaheim|The Dads are here and aren't mad just disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, like at all. I don't care in the least how they make this game up. But they will, so in discussing that knowing its secondary to JBo;s recovery...

If they do start the game from scratch again, what about the players who scored points? As an RFA, that goal could mean actual dollars for Barbeshev. At 1 goal a piece, its not a big deal, but what if it was 3-3 and a player in a trophy hunt had 3 points, or if Ovechkin has a natural hat trick that gets canceled when he is in the hunt for Gretzky's record? I just find it hard to believe they would erase actual NHL goals that occurred. Its also just as strange if they count said goals and give the teams basically 82 and 1/5 games for statistical purposes. The only thing that is not weird from a stats standpoint (but is from any other viewpoint) is to start the game at 1-1 with 47 minutes and change left.

Back in the 80s or 1990, can't remember, a large amount of a 3-3 game in the Stanley Cup Finals was replayed in it's entirety after a power failure I believe, so a regular season game being played again is less detrimental or significant than that. Also, I don't think it matters either because of what happened to J-Bo, I was just answering the other persons question.

notwolfy

Nov 15, 2013
Could be heart flutter a fib. Not life threatening but heart flutter is very scary. Will possibly have an ablation to fix it. Like my doctor told me, you need an electrician not a plumber. No blockages just growths that cause irregular impulses. They go in with a laser and clear it out. Good luck to Jay and the Blues. Been following them since the Bobby Orr goal.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
If the standings aren't impacted by the loss of this game, it would't surprise me to see the league not make it up. There'd need to be 3 points of separation, but that's not all that unlikely with the Ducks only really near the Sharks and Devils, and the Blues neck-and-neck with the Avs. Otherwise, I imagine they'd resume the 1-1 tie mid-way through the 1st after the regular season concludes...but hopefully this game doesn't need to be finished at all.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Was at work last night when this happened so just now catching up. Scary stuff. My thoughts are with Jbo and his family. Hopefully he has a full recovery. Love ya Bouw!

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Did they have to do CPR to revive him?
Yes, CPR was performed. It can be seen happening on the TV feed.

Some who were in stands also say that a defibrillator was used, but we don't know. Before transporting someone who has received CPR, it is standard practice to apply electrode pads in case it is required en route. People might be seeing the fact he had electrode pads applied and assuming that a defibrillator had already been used.

Reactions: Mike Liut

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
Such a freak accident to a guy by all accounts is in the best shape on the team. Crazy how things happen. Hope this doesn't affect Jay post hockey.

This is just terrible timing for the Blues, right before tax season.
No time for jokes, but that's how I deal with trauma.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
By the sound of it, we are lucky JBo is still with us? Hopefully he fully recovers and lives a healthy life. No need to play another game.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
That was an encouraging statement from Army. Very glad to hear that. It’s pretty terrifying that something like that could happen to a guy who is only 36(which is old for an NHLer, but relatively young in the “normal world”) and is, by all accounts, in incredible shape. I guess if that’s going to happen to you, having it happen right in front of a dozen or so trained medical professionals is probably best case scenario. Trainers, doctors, players, and broadcasters kicked ass tonight. All did their job exceptionally well, with the medical professionals obviously having the most important job of the bunch.

So happy to see that the outcome looks promising.

These folks train for and see this type of thing on a very regular basis. We all rely on them and while grateful probably don't give them enough thought or credit for not only what they do but for the price they pay. I served as a first responder for ten years. Loved doing it loved my coworkers. Everyone in this community ends up living with a few ghosts. Those that for whatever reason stick with you, that husband, that mother, that child. They become part of your life, they visit often in the dark of night. Nobody who does this type of work escapes. So if you know someone in this field or run across them be kind. No need to say anything or do anything that's not what someone who chooses this life is looking for. A quick thank you or good job is enough.

So to those who responded last night Good Job looks like you got two points!

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Could be heart flutter a fib. Not life threatening but heart flutter is very scary. Will possibly have an ablation to fix it. Like my doctor told me, you need an electrician not a plumber. No blockages just growths that cause irregular impulses. They go in with a laser and clear it out. Good luck to Jay and the Blues. Been following them since the Bobby Orr goal.
A-fib can absolutely be life threatening.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
Judging from the TV feed, CPR was DEFINITELY used.

Which probably rules out any syncope (fainting) episode, unless he had been breathing prior to CPR initiation and the medical staff missed that. Which is unlikely, but still a possibility as the rule is if you are not sure whether someone is breathing, start CPR as if they are not. On a side note, many people mistake "gasping" for actual breathing and don't start CPR because of that. So if you ever see someone uncosnicous irregularly gasping for air, start doing CPR, they are NOT breathing.

Anyway. Aside from the unlikely, there were really only two things that could have happened:

Either his heart stopped beating entirely or it went into a ventricular arrhytmia (ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation or, theoretically, a particularly fast atrial arrhytmia). If the former were true, the paddles would not have been used and he would not have been conscious shortly afterwards (extremely unlikely). Indeed, it is much harder to "bring someone back" if their heart stopped beating completely and the odds of making it are significantly lower.

The paddles are only used when an arrhytmia is present and it can result in near immediate regaining of consciousness, which is by all accounts what happened.

We can only speculate what the underlying cause for the arrhytmia was, but it is very likely it could have been a congenital architecture of his heart muscle as a heart attack (myocardial infarction) or a chronic heart failure seem extremely unlikely in his case. In some but not all cases, this can be effectively treated and cured by an ablation as someone has already pointed out. However, it is also possible to implant a device called ICD (implantable cardioverter defibrillator), which is similar in design to a pacemaker and checks constantly for a ventricular arrhytmia and automatically discharges a shock if such a rhytm is detected. This would minimize the likelihood of such an episode happening ever again and could definitely be an option if a curative ablation was not possible.

In terms of his hockey career, it is over unless an ablation can be done (in which case he should be cured and could theoretically risk returning back, but still not worth the risk IMHO). But in terms of his life going forward, judging from what we know, I would be rather optimistic.

Barring the less likely diagnoses, he should be able to live a pretty normal life going forward and since he is approaching the end of his professional career, having won pretty much everything there is to win in hockey, I believe and I hope he will do just fine.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
If the standings aren't impacted by the loss of this game, it would't surprise me to see the league not make it up. There'd need to be 3 points of separation, but that's not all that unlikely with the Ducks only really near the Sharks and Devils, and the Blues neck-and-neck with the Avs. Otherwise, I imagine they'd resume the 1-1 tie mid-way through the 1st after the regular season concludes...but hopefully this game doesn't need to be finished at all.
If the extra point would NOT be needed to make a change in playoff position of any team, would The NHL leave it as a 1-1 tie, and each team gets 1 point? And Barbashev's goal and Allen's goal against would count in the stats?

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
If the extra point would NOT be needed to make a change in playoff position of any team, would The NHL leave it as a 1-1 tie, and each team gets 1 point? And Barbashev's goal and Allen's goal against would count in the stats?
If it was me I would just have the team captains do rock paper scissors 2 out of 3 at center ice and the winner's team gets the extra point.

Or just let Anaheim have it (if they even want it - tank) since their medical staff might've saved Jay's life.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou

Which probably rules out any syncope (fainting) episode, unless he had been breathing prior to CPR initiation and the medical staff missed that. Which is unlikely, but still a possibility as the rule is if you are not sure whether someone is breathing, start CPR as if they are not. On a side note, many people mistake "gasping" for actual breathing and don't start CPR because of that. So if you ever see someone uncosnicous irregularly gasping for air, start doing CPR, they are NOT breathing.

Anyway. Aside from the unlikely, there were really only two things that could have happened:

Either his heart stopped beating entirely or it went into a ventricular arrhytmia (ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation or, theoretically, a particularly fast atrial arrhytmia). If the former were true, the paddles would not have been used and he would not have been conscious shortly afterwards (extremely unlikely). Indeed, it is much harder to "bring someone back" if their heart stopped beating completely and the odds of making it are significantly lower.

The paddles are only used when an arrhytmia is present and it can result in near immediate regaining of consciousness, which is by all accounts what happened.

We can only speculate what the underlying cause for the arrhytmia was, but it is very likely it could have been a congenital architecture of his heart muscle as a heart attack (myocardial infarction) or a chronic heart failure seem extremely unlikely in his case. In some but not all cases, this can be effectively treated and cured by an ablation as someone has already pointed out. However, it is also possible to implant a device called ICD (implantable cardioverter defibrillator), which is similar in design to a pacemaker and checks constantly for a ventricular arrhytmia and automatically discharges a shock if such a rhytm is detected. This would minimize the likelihood of such an episode happening ever again and could definitely be an option if a curative ablation was not possible.

In terms of his hockey career, it is over unless an ablation can be done (in which case he should be cured and could theoretically risk returning back, but still not worth the risk IMHO). But in terms of his life going forward, judging from what we know, I would be rather optimistic.

Barring the less likely diagnoses, he should be able to live a pretty normal life going forward and since he is approaching the end of his professional career, having won pretty much everything there is to win in hockey, I believe and I hope he will do just fine.

Pretty much agree with this whole assessment. The episode was almost certainly cardiac given the use of CPR, which rules out any more benign cause of syncope (i.e. vasovagal, hypotension, etc). Also, there was no evidence of seizure like activity, and there's no indication he had any sort of stroke given the reports that he had full range of motion and was otherwise alert, oriented, and neurologically intact.

The fact that this has never happened before and is only happening now at the age of 36 is concerning. However, given that he's an elite athlete I think it's pretty unlikely that he had any sort of infarction or ischemic attack.

When something like this happens to younger, elite athletes, my thoughts almost immediately go to certain genetic conditions, such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (most common cause of sudden cardiac death in young athletes) and Long QT syndrome. These are obviously both very serious, but usually happen without any warning. A-fib is certainly possible in an elite athlete and may explain the use of a defibrillator, which would have been used to cardiovert rather than defibrillate strictly speaking.

My thoughts and prayers are with Jay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->