Speculation: Defender Pairings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Zidlicky should boost a power play that's already leading the league at 25 percent. He'll likely be paired with Brendan Smith, replacing Alexey Marchenko, who's out a week or so with a strained oblique muscle and probably will be sent to the Grand Rapids Griffins when he's healthy.

Welp, not my preference, but oh well.

Kronwall-Ericsson
Dekeyser-Quincey
Smith-Zidlicky

Is what we're looking at. With Zidlicky on PP2.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/03/red_wings_upgraded_roster_with.html

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Agreed, he should be on the first or second pairing. My guess is if Q comes back we don't want to split up Q and DK.

Kronner, Zid
Q, DK
Big E, Marchenko/Smith

Well, if Marchenko beats out Smith for the spot, perhaps we can try Marchenko with Kronwall. Kronwall and Smith worked really well last season so, perhaps same thing can happen with Marchy. If not, I'd actually prefer trying Quincy on the top pairing with Kronwall then.

In theory atleast, I really think Dekeyser and Zidlicky would work really well. If that's the case, Ericsson can go on the third pairing with Marchy and Quincy, playing a checking line role, sort of. This way our top two pairings can provide a needed support for our top lines to score more.

Whatever the case, I just think Zidlicky and Kronwall should be kept on seperate units as they're pretty much the most capable guys of carrying out the puck and making an outlet pass. I don't think we need both playing on the same pairing.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
how does Zidlicky fit in with his ice-time at Devils?

Total Ice-Time:

Kronwall 23:47
Zidlicky 21:55

DeKeyser 21:16
Ericsson 19:59
Quincey 19:32
Smith 18:12
Ouellet 16:23
Kindl 15:52
Marchenko 14:55
Lashoff 13:17

ES Ice-Time:

Zidlicky 19:07

Kronwall 17:53
DeKeyser 17:24
Quincey 17:17
Ericsson 17:07
Smith 16:40
Ouellet 15:40
Marchenko 14:11
Kindl 13:56
Lashoff 11:52

PK Ice-Time:

Kronwall 2:48
Ericsson 2:39
DeKeyser 2:13
Quincey 2:03
Lashoff 1:24
Smith 1:14
Marchenko 0:36
Ouellet 0:33
Zidlicky 0:11

Kindl 0:04

PP Ice-Time:

Kronwall 3:06
Zidlicky 2:37

Kindl 1:51
DeKeyser 1:38
Smith 0:17
Ericsson 0:12
Quincey 0:11
Ouellet 0:08
Marchenko 0:07
Lashoff 0:00

Rafalski-copy, imo.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
If they think Marchenko is better, isn't it a good idea to get the d pairings to gel and give Marchenko a bit more NHL experience?

I personally think Marchenko has seemed more solid on the third pairing than Smith.

Me too. But I don't expect any suprise...

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I wonder if they'll give Zidlicky a go on the #1 PP unit. He's definitely got a ton of skill, and he's probably better than Kronwall at it... and Kronwall is pretty good at it.

I mean, I know the PP isn't broke, so maybe don't fix it. But the PP is Zidlicky's thing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wonder if they'll give Zidlicky a go on the #1 PP unit. He's definitely got a ton of skill, and he's probably better than Kronwall at it... and Kronwall is pretty good at it.

I mean, I know the PP isn't broke, so maybe don't fix it. But the PP is Zidlicky's thing.

Not sure if Zidlicky is "better" on the PP, but he is definitely a more traditional PP QB. That and the fact that he is RH may get him a shot regardless.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

One of the reasons the PP has been so successful is they basically role two one units this year having split Datsyuk and Zetterberg. So either way Zidlicky will be out there with a Top 10 center in the league. With all due respect to old Jagr and even Elias, they mostly play wing, Zidlicky has never really had a big PP center to have hanging out and think of what he has done throughout his career. His best would be a broken Forsberg and then Koivu.

Even if it is our second unit which is better than half the leagues first he will have significant things to play with. They kind of role those each for a minute and have at it. I think that is a part of their success, finally they will have two PP QB's to be doing that with, like a big wave for two minutes for the other team.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York

Zidlicky sure looked leathal against Detroit this year. I think he's by far the best QB for the PP at this point for us.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
By the way much like I think Smith has been playing better of late with Marchenko and then DeKeyser I think he is going to play very well if they go with him and Zidlicky. We will balance the minutes a lot in terms of five on five with that pairing certainly down the stretch run of the season which should keep everyone healthy and fresh.

I also don't worry a ton about road matchups in the playoffs right now with what we did today. Smith always looks real comfortable when you get him a wheelhouse passing partner. That is his big problem with Quincey. It is why he looks best with Kronwall and now Marchenko. They are the best D to D passers we have up for the last little while. DK is pretty good but still doesn't always place it the best. Still Zidlicky is a tape to tape guy and Smith will benefit from that greatly if he is his new partner.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
5V5 I think Smith is the worst possible pair with Zids... anyone would be better.

Has already been posted in the long trade deadline GDT, but it might surprise you that Smith remains one the highest drivers of the adjusted Corsi (or a stat of this ilk in terms of driving possession on ice) stats over the last three years. He moves the puck up ice well, despite what people complain about his stats continue to say this, him and Zidlicky together would provide a lot of bite, they will likely enjoy their fare share of offensive zone starts anyway.

We will see, but Smith always looks better with good passers that allow him to lurch forward with confidence the pass will come to the right area. Zidlicky is a money tape to tape guy in this regard. Also Zidlicky's biggest need will be a player with wheels so that is going to be Smith or DeKeyser.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Honestly if Smith plays, Zidlicky is more of a lateral move. You will still be stuck with a top pairing where Kronwall will be pulling the load (Ericsson or Zidlicky...not sure if the guy is top pairing quality at this point in his career). That would leave Smith and Ericsson at the bottom pairing, which I believe would be a complete train wreck.

I firmly believe that Quincey and Dekeyser have been the most consistent pairing this season so far, and will most liking stay paired up as the second pairing.

That leaves the option of "which pairing will suck less". Kronwall/Ericsson (Ericsson IMO does not below here) or Smith/Zidlicky? Do you risk a Smith/Ericsson as the bottom pairing?

This is where I think Marchenko would do wonders:

Kronwall/Zidlicky
Quincey/Dekeyser
Ericsson/Marchenko
Smith

Marchenko has shown that he has the ability to make other players look better: Take Smith for example. I believe he can do the same with Ericsson. Maybe not as well as Kronwall. But it will be enough to make sure the bottom pairing will not completely blow games. A Smith/Ericsson pairing, during the playoffs? You may as well start looking for a golf course now. That's assuming if you bolster your top pairing with Zids.

It's an upgrade for sure, but more on the lateral side because I think Ericsson will still be stuck on the top pairing...which we all know is OK, or face palm worthy. I also think he's holding back Kronwall from his offense.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I saw the Rangers last night started Yandle on the 3rd pairing. It makes sense Zidlicky would be on our 3rd as well, Babcock will not break up DeKeyser/Quincey. I like the possibility of Zidlickey supplanting Ericsson I hope he does that well here.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I would like

Kronner-E
Dekeyser- Zidlicky
Quincey- Marchenko

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Smith as a forward. His skating could make him a really dangerous 4th liner.

What I am realisticallyhoping for:

Kronner-Smith
Dekeyser-Quincey
E-Zidlicky

Smith has looked his best with Kronner and is physical enough to not let that line get dominated in that regard. I firmly believe Kronner needs a big dman to play with. DD & Q have been solid. E gets off the 1st pair and Zids gets a defensive dman and some sheltered minutes to produce

What we'll get:

Kronner-E
DD-Q
Smith- Zids

Last pairing is a nightmare....

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
How in the hell did kindl wind up with that contract? That, too, is ridiculous.

He had a lot of potential. And then he never reached it. There are times, even now, when it looks obvious Kindl is the second best offensive defender behind Kronwall. Well, not anymore! Yay.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Maybe that's a good idea. Taking Kronner off from 1st PP (+DeKeyser off from 2nd PP) would enable them to log more defensive minutes = makes stronger defence overall.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Was lashoff-kindl a thing in the PO's last year? We gotta be better than that, now. right...?

Just can't imagine how much better we are now...

Last playoffs

Kronwall - Smith
DeKeyser - Quincey
Lashoff - Kindl
(Ouellet)

Ericsson injured.
Ouellet called for 1 game

Vs. Now:

Kronwall - Ericsson
DeKeyser - Quincey
Smith - Zidlicky
(Ouellet, Kindl, Marchenko)

2015 vs. 2014 playoffs
Kronwall = Kronwall
Ericsson > Smith
DeKeyser (2015) > DeKeyser (2014)
Quincey (2015) > Quincey (2014)
Smith > Lashoff
Zidlicky > Kindl

Upgrade basicly on every position except Kronwall.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I feel like a Smith-Zidlicky pair would either look great or awful with not a lot of room for a middle ground and fully expect it to oscillate between the two extremes on a regular basis

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Just can't imagine how much better we are now...

Last playoffs

Kronwall - Smith
DeKeyser - Quincey
Lashoff - Kindl
(Ouellet)

Ericsson injured.
Ouellet called for 1 game

Vs. Now:

Kronwall - Ericsson
DeKeyser - Quincey
Smith - Zidlicky
(Ouellet, Kindl, Marchenko)

2015 vs. 2014 playoffs
Kronwall = Kronwall
Ericsson > Smith
DeKeyser (2015) > DeKeyser (2014)
Quincey (2015) > Quincey (2014)
Smith > Lashoff
Zidlicky > Kindl

Upgrade basicly on every position except Kronwall.

Indeed not without any reason to be optimistic. That's quite the upgrade this year. Just not so sure yet if Smith and Zidlicky is such a good idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad