Speculation: Defender Pairings

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
That's for sure. But don't really know how I feel to have Zid down on the 3rd pair AND with someone like Smith. Could work out as TZE said.
But could give Zid limited opportunities as well. We'll see about that on Wednesday.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I personally hope Babs tries this:

Kronwall-Marchenko/Smith
DeKeyser-Quincey
Ericsson-Zidlicky

Balanced, big, skilled defensive pairings. Zid on the third keeps him fresh and more formidable.

GrosEcossais

Feb 1, 2015
Nova Scotia
Analysts on TSN were saying yesterday after the trade that they expect Zid to slot in at the 3-4 spot. Seems like that would be the logical thing to do.

I would like to see:

Kronwall-Smith (gives smith some stability and they also played well together in the past)

Dekeyser - Zidlicky (gives a veteran offensive defenseman to learn from)

Ericsson - Quincy (solid 3rd pairing)

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Has already been posted in the long trade deadline GDT, but it might surprise you that Smith remains one the highest drivers of the adjusted Corsi (or a stat of this ilk in terms of driving possession on ice) stats over the last three years. He moves the puck up ice well, despite what people complain about his stats continue to say this, him and Zidlicky together would provide a lot of bite, they will likely enjoy their fare share of offensive zone starts anyway.

We will see, but Smith always looks better with good passers that allow him to lurch forward with confidence the pass will come to the right area. Zidlicky is a money tape to tape guy in this regard. Also Zidlicky's biggest need will be a player with wheels so that is going to be Smith or DeKeyser.

zidlicky is also very good possession driver. he doesn't need excellent possession driver with him. he needs someone to babysit his defensive brainfarts and limits.

and that takes a good possession driver in smith (though he hasn't been as good at it this season) away from other pairing that could need it.

weirder things have worked though. i think rielly and gardiner were at least some point solid pairing for leafs.

i'd do or at least try

kronwall-smith
dekeyser/ericsson-zid
dekeyser/ericsson-quincey

but i'm not expecting that to happen.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think by the play-offs we will have 2/3 LH-RH pairings

Kronwall-Big E/Smith
Dekeyser-Zidlicky
Quincey-Marchenko

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Winging It In Motown ‏@wingingitmotown 8m8 minutes ago

For some reason, Xavier Ouellet is listed on the Red Wings' roster currently. With Marchenko listed on IR, that gives them 8 D-men.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
There's no way Smith is the odd man out. Just because the majority of this board hates his guts doesn't mean he's a #7 Dman or get trumped by a guy with a dozen NHL games under his belt.

With that said, everyones leash just got a lot shorter. Especially Smith's.

Not everyones. Kronwall and DeKeyser Are fine.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Go to that "advanced stats" thread and you'll see why Smith is getting the hate. He is as mistake-prone as Kindl with easy 3rd pair minutes. Ouellet and Marchenko have both been more mistake-free than those pylons at this season.

If we want to ice best possible defence, the hierarchy should go like this:

Kronwall - Ericsson
Dekeyser - Zidlicky
Quincey - Ouellet/Marchenko
(Smith)
(Kindl)

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Chuck Pleiness ‏@wingsfrontman
Also, Zidlicky appears to be paired with Quincey. Smith and DeKeyser; Kronwall and Ericsson together.

Love the Smith-Dekeyser pair, they looked pretty good when together the past few games.

edit- well I guess they're moving everyone around so nothing definitive.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Go to that "advanced stats" thread and you'll see why Smith is getting the hate. He is as mistake-prone as Kindl with easy 3rd pair minutes. Ouellet and Marchenko have both been more mistake-free than those pylons at this season.

If we want to ice best possible defence, the hierarchy should go like this:

Kronwall - Ericsson
Dekeyser - Zidlicky
Quincey - Ouellet/Marchenko
(Smith)
(Kindl)
Works for me.

Maybe Ouellet/Marchenko regress, and god knows it's a tiny sample size, but Marchy especially has looked very solid in his games. And compared to Kindl and even Smith, it's not that close. They just seem smarter. Like maybe actually normal intelligence-wise and not just in terms of hockey sense. Smith almost comes off as a stereotypical dumb jock. I may be wrong, but he seems to take a lot of penalties, and many come off as unnecessary. It just seems like a lack of thought from him. Kindl too but normally as a result of him getting beat and hooking someone.

Satrebil

Aug 3, 2006
Michigan
Works for me.

Maybe Ouellet/Marchenko regress, and god knows it's a tiny sample size, but Marchy especially has looked very solid in his games. And compared to Kindl and even Smith, it's not that close. They just seem smarter. Like maybe actually normal intelligence-wise and not just in terms of hockey sense. Smith almost comes off as a stereotypical dumb jock. I may be wrong, but he seems to take a lot of penalties, and many come off as unnecessary. It just seems like a lack of thought from him. Kindl too but normally as a result of him getting beat and hooking someone.

Agreed on both Smith and Kindl.

Smith has tools but below average HIQ.

Kindl has tools and average HIQ but below average compete level.

Both could find their way. Perhaps elsewhere.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I think this is really going to be a test for Quincey. Being paired with DeKeyser really settled him into a groove. We'll see if he can maintain that with another partner.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
The more I think about it... DeKeyser and Quincey play their best together and while I think DeKeyser and Zidlicky would be good together too, why mess with it? So keep them together. Ericsson and Kronwall have played together all season. Maybe not ideal. Maybe you could move Smith up there. Ericsson and Zidlicky, then? Slooow....

I think you have to try:
Kronwall/Ericsson
DeKeyser/Quincey
Zidlicky/Marchenko

I think Marchenko could be a really good fit with Zidlicky.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So we get two right handers to play them together? This board sometimes... Our worst pairing in this game was DeKeyser and Quincey. I expect they will bounce back, first game back together after Q's layoff. It is going to take more than one game for me to give up on what they ran out tonight off a long West coast trip where they usually struggle the first night back.

Zidlicky got caught deep a couple times and Smith/Howard actually bailed him out. Guess that doesn't fit the narrative around here. :shakehead

If Marchenko and Zidlicky are in the lineup together they shouldn't be on the same pairing, it kills the whole idea of why we want two righties in.

Kronwall - Zidlicky/Marchenko
DK - Q
Ericsson - Zidlicky/Marchenko

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Splitting both RHD makes more sense, spreading it over two lines to even it out a little bit more.

Too late, TZE had a better timing.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
The more I think about it... DeKeyser and Quincey play their best together and while I think DeKeyser and Zidlicky would be good together too, why mess with it? So keep them together. Ericsson and Kronwall have played together all season. Maybe not ideal. Maybe you could move Smith up there. Ericsson and Zidlicky, then? Slooow....

I think you have to try:
Kronwall/Ericsson
DeKeyser/Quincey
Zidlicky/Marchenko

I think Marchenko could be a really good fit with Zidlicky.

I haven't checked in a while, but the WOWY's suggest that Quincey is grossly dependent on Dekeyser, which definitely reflects in the on ice product.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I haven't checked in a while, but the WOWY's suggest that Quincey is grossly dependent on Dekeyser, which definitely reflects in the on ice product.

Quincey has to play with DeKeyser or Ericsson, he hasn't looked remotely good without one of those guys.

I actually don't think Smith and DeKeyser looked bad on the road trip together. Not expecting that pairing. We will see what happens, competition is a good thing and we are going to need more than 6 guys to accomplish what we all hope they do.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Quincey has to play with DeKeyser or Ericsson, he hasn't looked remotely good without one of those guys.

I actually don't think Smith and DeKeyser looked bad on the road trip together. Not expecting that pairing. We will see what happens, competition is a good thing and we are going to need more than 6 guys to accomplish what we all hope they do.

Hopefully we get that legitimate top 4 guy we have been desperate for this summer though. Mike Green, I'm looking at you.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Because he isn't very good. If we're starting Marchenko in the playoffs, the guy we should sit is Quincey. Smith is better at moving the puck up ice, and being able to pair him with DK or Kronwall helps even out his short comings. Putting Quincey with Dekeyser or Ericsson is just begging to not move the puck up ice and to get stuck in our own end for shifts at a time.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Because he isn't very good. If we're starting Marchenko in the playoffs, the guy we should sit is Quincey. Smith is better at moving the puck up ice, and being able to pair him with DK or Kronwall helps even out his short comings. Putting Quincey with Dekeyser or Ericsson is just begging to not move the puck up ice and to get stuck in our own end for shifts at a time.

I just don't see it happening. This Dekeyser-Quincey pairing has this weird aura around it to the point that Khan was writing articles on "what a great shut down pair they are."(Which in all actuality, they are just adequate.) Really wish we moved the guy at the deadline for a 2nd.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I just don't see it happening. This Dekeyser-Quincey pairing has this weird aura around it to the point that Khan was writing articles on "what a great shut down pair they are."(Which in all actuality, they are just adequate.) Really wish we moved the guy at the deadline for a 2nd.

I don't see it happening, either, and I never understood the love for that pairing. We haven't been thrilled with the puck movement from the backend for the majority of the season..well, right there is a decent chunk of what we're not thrilled about.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
After tonight this is what I want to see:

Kronwall/Zidlicky
Dekeyser/Quincey
Ericsson/Marchenko
Smith
Kindl

I think these are the perfect lines. Just my opinion. It also has the depth for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->