Speculation: Defender Pairings

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I think Smith deserves a spot on the playoff roster considering his play last post-season, but with a short leash.

But good lord, Smith needs to do something with the opportunities he's given.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'd favor atm:

Kronner-Big Rig
Dekeyser-Marchenko
KFQ-Zidlicky

As to why first pairing is proven and we know what we are getting with it. The second pairing hopefully would be improved due to lh-rh as well as Marchenko being a beast in his own end so it would be similar to DDK-KFQ in that aspect as a lock down pairing but both players are pretty smart hockey iq wise and Marchenko as well as DDK (though not as much recently) are pretty poised with the puck on there sticks. They might not be true puck movers but they are both smart and normally make mistake free moves outta the zone.

KFQ and Zids would be a good 3rd pairing in that Zids will get a stable sound def-d guy in KFQ (which amazes me that I would ever say this). And they would have the benefits of having a lh-rh pairing as well. Zids would have priority in starting the breakout on this pairing obviously.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yes, even given the coach who stresses LH-RH combos.

That's his preference, obviously, but A) Holland makes the call on who is on the roster, and B) it's not like they had been running Marchenko out there all season. The organization obviously likes Marchenko (as do I), and also considers his RH shot a plus, but I don't see that being enough to bench Smith, even given Smith's warts. And especially after acquiring Zidlicky.

Ken Holland said 2 days ago on 105.1 that it is Babcock's call.

Sources:

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comment...dline-moves-talks-about-the-next-generation-o

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Looking at team stats for even strength goals against per 60 for the season, Kronwall and Ericsson are the worst. Smith and Marchenko in the middle. DeKeyser and Quincey (and Zidlicky) are pretty good. Ouellet and Kindl are the best.

If you look at players league-wide that have played 500 mins or more this season at even strength, DeKeyser ranks 24th, Quincey 26th, Kronwall 85th, Ericsson 104th

Then you flip it around and look at goals for per 60 and DeKeyser is ranked 85th, Quincey 115th, Ericsson 139th, Kronwall 147th.

And putting it all together, the goals for percentage, or the ratio between goals scored and goals let in, DeKeyser 32nd, Quincey 54th, Kronwall 129th, Ericsson 139th.

Of course, you have to look at who they're playing against too. But it looks like the top pair is struggling at even strength.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Kronwall - Smith
Dekeyser - Zidlicky
Quincey - Marchenko
Kindl
Ericsson

Ericsson is brutal. Its never going to happen, but I dont think he should be anywhere near the lineup.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Kronwall - Smith
Dekeyser - Zidlicky
Quincey - Marchenko
Kindl
Ericsson

Ericsson is brutal. Its never going to happen, but I dont think he should be anywhere near the lineup.
While I do understand swapping Smith for Ericsson because last year Kronwall and Smith had success, but right now it's a lateral movement IMO. It may even be going backwards considering the amount of penalties Smith is taking. More IT could translate to more penalties. As it stands right now, Quincey, DeKeyser and Marchenko are the only ones worthy of playing in the top pair. Having two RHS in the top 4 would be advantageous as well.

Kronwall - Marchenko
DeKeyser - Zidlicky
Quincey - Ericsson
Smith

jka*

Ericsson - Zidlicky(?) or OEL
Kronwall - DeKeyser
Quincey - Smith

Best for me.

Haved Zidlicky going to Red Town?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ericsson is signed til 2020. He's big, and heavy, and realgud.

He ain't coming out of the lineup anytime soon. Hell he can look like garbage for over a month, and not even be in danger of getting bumped down a pairing.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ericsson is signed til 2020. He's big, and heavy, and realgud.

He ain't coming out of the lineup anytime soon. Hell he can look like garbage for over a month, and not even be in danger of getting bumped down a pairing.

He is really the only guy that clears the front of the net though. I think he has played better since the all-star break, last night was obviously brutal. I would like him off the top pairing, I have trouble seeing how Quincey is outplaying him right now. I think Quincey has been better and has certainly tried to be more physical, but I don't think he has been playing great hockey for a little while now. I agree with Winger98 in terms of this and not understanding the pass. The competition for two spots should be between Quincey, Smith and Marchenko in my opinion. Ouellet could be thrown into that conversation as well.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Noted.

I still don't see it happening though. Marchenko just isn't at a point to unseat Smith. Furthermore, putting Marchenko on the roster means promoting Zidlicky to a bigger role than the Wings prefer to put him in.

Marchenko outplayed Smith in every game he dressed for. I would play him on the top pair and not flinch.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Marchenko outplayed Smith in every game he dressed for. I would play him on the top pair and not flinch.

I like Marchenko, but you're clearly much higher on him at the moment than I am. I don't see him as top-pairing material 5 years from now, never mind today.

That said, I wouldn't be worried at all if he were inserted into the lineup ahead of Smith on the 3rd-pairing. I just don't see it happening (again, unless of course Smith's play goes downhill).

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
Kronner-KFQ (never thought I would say that but I think he's been damn good this year)
DK-Zids
Rig-Marchy

Smith
Kindl

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Looking at team stats for even strength goals against per 60 for the season, Kronwall and Ericsson are the worst. Smith and Marchenko in the middle. DeKeyser and Quincey (and Zidlicky) are pretty good. Ouellet and Kindl are the best.

If you look at players league-wide that have played 500 mins or more this season at even strength, DeKeyser ranks 24th, Quincey 26th, Kronwall 85th, Ericsson 104th

Then you flip it around and look at goals for per 60 and DeKeyser is ranked 85th, Quincey 115th, Ericsson 139th, Kronwall 147th.

And putting it all together, the goals for percentage, or the ratio between goals scored and goals let in, DeKeyser 32nd, Quincey 54th, Kronwall 129th, Ericsson 139th.

Of course, you have to look at who they're playing against too. But it looks like the top pair is struggling at even strength.

Is Kindl our best Dman?

PS it shows DeKeyser is better than both Quincey and Ericsson.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Is Kindl our best Dman?

PS it shows DeKeyser is better than both Quincey and Ericsson.

The other team doesn't score as many even strength goals when Kindl is on the ice. I don't know if I can explain it, but that's what the stats are telling me.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
The other team doesn't score as many even strength goals when Kindl is on the ice. I don't know if I can explain it, but that's what the stats are telling me.

I can explain it. All our defensemen are equally mediocre, but Ericsson plays against Crosby, and Kindl plays against [insert name I've never heard of]

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Still think I'd rather see a DeKeyser-Zidlicky pairing. DeKeyser is more than capable of covering up some of Z's defensive deficiencies. Smith... not so much.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Still think I'd rather see a DeKeyser-Zidlicky pairing. DeKeyser is more than capable of covering up some of Z's defensive deficiencies. Smith... not so much.

zidlicky is best utilized having lot of offensive zone starts and playing with out best offensive players. the opposite for dekeyser. also, unless they change the top pairing (i'm not opposed to that), it would mean the reunion of quincey-smith pairing.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Is this the happy medium that Babcock and Holland were trying to reach? Good on Holland for trusting his coach. But a bit weird to see a GM give the coach part of the reigns.

Could be good for the future. Could be bad. It's interesting for sure, however.

I think he means it's Babcock's decision in the sense of whether Marchenko is going to be in the lineup or not. Because there's no point of having him rot in the press box if he's not.

Holland can keep Marchenko up but he can't force Babcock to play him.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Considering his age and according to what some Devil fans said, it seems really unlikely. He left his family behind in New Jersey.
Guess it's just one last attempt to make a run for the cup with a team like ours before he moves back there, maybe signing another 1-year-deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad