Kronwall - Big E
DeKeyser - Quincey
Smith - Zidlicky

Kindl

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I really hope Zidlicky gets top pairing duties. He's plenty capable of handling it, and Ericsson needs to be getting as few minutes as possible.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
I'd imagine Zid plays on the top pairing. There was no point in bringing him in otherwise. Third pair has little effect on things.

Agreed, he should be on the first or second pairing. My guess is if Q comes back we don't want to split up Q and DK.

Kronner, Zid
Q, DK
Big E, Marchenko/Smith

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
All this Smith hate is just mind boggling. The kid has the 10th highest Usage Adjusted Corsi % among dmen in the NHL over the past 3 seasons. That screams #7 Dman to me...:help:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
All this Smith hate is just mind boggling. The kid has the 10th highest Usage Adjusted Corsi % among dmen in the NHL over the past 3 seasons. That screams #7 Dman to me...:help:

Sorry for being dense, but what does this mean exactly?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

based on his usage (QoC, zone starts, quality of teammates) he has 10th highest shot differential or corsi.

sort of like relative corsi but improved version of it.

that said, usage-adjusted stats are still infancy stages and ignore some things.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012

Basically factors out how a player is used(QoC, zone start %, quality of teammates) and creates a baseline against which all players are measured. It's basically a way for you to stack up Corsi% without having the bias of what match ups a Dman gets, where his zone starts are, etc.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
And what's to gain from being so well in it, when he's an IQ below room temperature?
Many had high hopes on him before the season. But they didn't turn out to be satisifed so far.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I'd love to see him paired with Dekeyser. That would be in the spirit of Lidstrom and Rafalski. That does kind of create a mess with the other guys but maybe Quincey is actually stable on any pairing now.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Likely not, but the next 20 games present a big opportunity.

Sure, but I just don't think Babcock will roll with two rookie defensemen when we're healthy. Maybe one, preferably Marchenko, but two might be asking for trouble.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Judging by NJD fan comments I don't want Zid on the top pair and I want him paired with a solid stay at home type, so my best option of realistic pairing would be:

Kronner-E
KFQ-Zid
DD-Smith
Kindl

KFQ and DD can be interchanged but we've seen a KFQ-Smith pairing before and it's hot garbage in the past and I think KFQ-Zid would work well together.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I think if we're icing our best D pairs it's:

Kronwall - Ericcsson
DeKeyser - Zidlicky
Quincey - Marchenko

I think Smith will slip in there though and it might end up:

Kronwall - Ericcsson
DeKeyser - Smith
Quincey - Zidlicky

Obviously, ice time would be pretty well spread out with this option. I don't think a Smith - Zidlicky pairing would be very good defensively, which is why I think both should be paired with defensively sound defensemen.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Maybe in the regular season, but if they think Marchenko is better he'll play in the playoffs.

If they think Marchenko is better, isn't it a good idea to get the d pairings to gel and give Marchenko a bit more NHL experience?

I personally think Marchenko has seemed more solid on the third pairing than Smith.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'd imagine Zid plays on the top pairing. There was no point in bringing him in otherwise. Third pair has little effect on things.

Does it? Babcock seems to like to keep the defense rotating, just like his forward lines. Not overplaying the top6 or the top4. If Zidlicky gets that + good PP minutes, he has plenty of time to make an impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad