Confirmed with Link: Declan Chisholm claimed by Minnesota.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Not at the moment no but we may need it next season depending on what happens with some players.

If they can convince Helle to reup - that's $9 plus million.

DeMelo is probably around $4 as is Nino.

If Perfetti goes off they may elect to lock him up long term for $8 like what has happened with his draft peers lately.

I'd like to see what we have with Chisholm who very well might be needed as a full time player next season.

If injuries hit I hope he and Ville are given looks over Stanley.
OK for cap purposes I get it. That's not the case for the Jets this year. They've also hardly ever (never?) just traded out of players for the sake of giving some AHL player a shot. Closest thing was maybe Mason to try and get Stastny and ended up signing Brossoit. don't think many teams do this particularly on Defense outside of cap purposes.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
OK for cap purposes I get it. That's not the case for the Jets this year. They've also hardly ever (never?) just traded out of players for the sake of giving some AHL player a shot. I don't think many teams do this particularly on Defense outside of cap purposes.

I'm not really arguing trading anyone outside of Stanley atm. The team clearly wants to win so they will go with the entrenched players. I just hope if injuries hit Chisholm gets a good look.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You seem to be completely missing the point. I AM NOT ADVOCATING TRADING DILLON.

I am advocating keeping Chisholm over 1 of Stanley or Capobianco.
Why? We haven't seen him play yet? Most likely he is in the same general 7/8/9 depth range. And @Weezeric makes a good point. What if Capo was drafted by the Jets and Chisholm was drafted by another team and signed as a UFA? Capo has higher draft pedigree 63 OA Vs. 150 OA. Capo also had much better numbers at the AHL level, at the same age. Capo also had impressive numbers for the Jets in limited duty last season. 63.64 GF%, 55.91 CF% and 55.99 xGF%. My guess if Capo was a Jets draft pick you'd be right in there arguing how he was never given his opportunity and the Jets have failed to develop him properly.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Some people just want to throw away known commodities for what’s in the box.

View attachment 743026
if the Jets Defense stunk and had the likes of beaulieu, sbisa, dahlstrom, etc. again, id be far more inclined to see what we have in the box (ie: regular roles for chisholm or heinola).

however, that's not the case. the depth-chart has good players on it now, and the Jets defense rated well this past year. the teams has continuously proclaimed wanting to win/compete this year, as well as bowness singling out wanting to maintain their good defensive play. i don't foresee them trading out some of their vet dmen - esp. dillon who i think not only the team values on the ice with his play, but as well as the intangibles - who have helped contribute to that.

if the Jets were to have kicked off a rebuild this past year.... yea id think dillon would have been dealt given his value + the ufa market being soft for Dmen.... however the trade market turned out to be trash this off-season so :dunno:

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Chisholm niku petan... the list goes on and on. List of prospects who were overrated by hfboards.com prospects lovers.

Dude is 23. It's now or never for him.
Niku and Petan had clear weaknesses to their games that could potentially hold them back, and they did. Chisholm is solid all around. Not saying he's going to be a top pairing guy but I don't see any part of his game that would stop him from being a serviceable NHLer.

Last year there were 32 defensemen in the league under 24 that played half the season or more. 23 is definitely not a now or never age.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Why? We haven't seen him play yet? Most likely he is in the same general 7/8/9 depth range. And @Weezeric makes a good point. What if Capo was drafted by the Jets and Chisholm was drafted by another team and signed as a UFA? Capo has higher draft pedigree 63 OA Vs. 150 OA. Capo also had much better numbers at the AHL level, at the same age. Capo also had impressive numbers for the Jets in limited duty last season. 63.64 GF%, 55.91 CF% and 55.99 xGF%. My guess if Capo was a Jets draft pick you'd be right in there arguing how he was never given his opportunity and the Jets have failed to develop him properly.
Much better numbers is a stretch, but Capo having better offensive numbers in the AHL is to be expected since he was their go to offensive defenseman, there was literally nobody else to run the play through unlike the Moose that had Heinola and Gawanke in addition to Chisholm. Also Capo's question mark was always his defensive game and durability, neither of which has been an issue for Chisholm.

Capo is 26 and a pressbox defenseman. We know what he is. Why prioritize two pressbox defensemen over a 23 year old with room to grow? If we lose either Stanley or Capo and keep Chisholm and Chisholm never becomes better than a #7 then nothing was lost. We can get #7s anywhere.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd send Heinola and Capo down (unless Ville earns a spot in TC) and keep Chiz and Stanley eating popcorn.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I'd honestly send Stanley and Capo down and keep ville and chis up when it comes right down to it. I think both Stan and Capo clear. Nobody gonna take a flyer on them and If a team did, prob would have traded Stanley by now. No interest there obviously

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Much better numbers is a stretch, but Capo having better offensive numbers in the AHL is to be expected since he was their go to offensive defenseman, there was literally nobody else to run the play through unlike the Moose that had Heinola and Gawanke in addition to Chisholm. Also Capo's question mark was always his defensive game and durability, neither of which has been an issue for Chisholm.

Capo is 26 and a pressbox defenseman. We know what he is. Why prioritize two pressbox defensemen over a 23 year old with room to grow? If we lose either Stanley or Capo and keep Chisholm and Chisholm never becomes better than a #7 then nothing was lost. We can get #7s anywhere.
I think the organization will go strictly by who they think is better now. They just gave Chisholm the most AHL tweener contract possible coming out of his ELC. 1 year 2 way at NHL minimum with a real low end AHL salary. To be honest I think the organization is more invested in both Stanley and Capo.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd honestly send Stanley and Capo down and keep ville and chis up when it comes right down to it. I think both Stan and Capo clear. Nobody gonna take a flyer on them and If a team did, prob would have traded Stanley by now. No interest there obviously
100% Stanley would get claimed.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Good
Who cares he’s not an important part of our team going forward
Out of the 3 of Stanley, Capo and Chisholm my guess is Stanley would be the least likely to be waived. And probably the only one with any potential trade return. After that I don’t know if either Capo or Chisholm get claimed if waived. All teams have similar level payers at the edges of their rosters.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

If we are going to talk about small samples Chisholm posted a 62 CF% and a 67 XGF% the year before last. It's not like he hasn't also done well in limited time. He also did it as a younger player then Capo. He took his opportunity and performed well. Hard to ask for anything more from him, AHL allstar and performed well when given a shot.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think the organization will go strictly by who they think is better now. They just gave Chisholm the most AHL tweener contract possible coming out of his ELC. 1 year 2 way at NHL minimum with a real low end AHL salary. To be honest I think the organization is more invested in both Stanley and Capo.

You honestly think they are invested in a 26 year old PB guy over an AHL Allstars that they drafted and developed?

Yeah the org can't seem to admit it's wrong with Logan but Logan wants out if he is once again in the PB so it's not going to be a question of Stanley vs. Y.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I think that's really short sighted. I just don't see the logic in keeping easily replaceable players in favor of a player who could potentially be better than replacement level. Worst case scenario Chisholm falls flat and we have to replace a player that is, again, easily replaceable. Best case scenario we have a better than replacement level player in Chisholm. The upside of him turning out greatly outweighs the downside of him not turning out in my mind.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I could see Stanley getting claimed. There’s too many old school GM’s that value his size and would be willing to take that gamble that he’s just slow developing and just needs a change of scenery.

Of course Chevy wouldn’t let that happen because the optics of it would be a 1st rounder lost to waivers.

I think there would definitely be teams interested , but they just not willing to pay Chevy’s price.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Chisholm niku petan... the list goes on and on. List of prospects who were overrated by hfboards.com prospects lovers.

Dude is 23. It's now or never for him.
Add Versa-Laine and tiny Heiny to that list…..

Sure our D is overpriced and a couple are pretty marginal but still better than the overhyped tiny Heiny and Chisholm who was actually still a better d man than tiny Heiny in the A last season

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You honestly think they are invested in a 26 year old PB guy over an AHL Allstars that they drafted and developed?

Yeah the org can't seem to admit it's wrong with Logan but Logan wants out if he is once again in the PB so it's not going to be a question of Stanley vs. Y.
I think the organization quite likes what Capo brings. A low maintenance vet that is willing to take on the 7/8 role and be able to step in and show well on a moments notice after not seeing game action for a couple weeks at a time. This is how these depth guys hold onto careers. In terms of Chisholm I don’t think the organization sees him as anything more than deep depth and his RFA contract would suggest that. A week before camp he gets a 2 way league minimum with a low end $90,000 AHL salary with a $120,000 minimum guaranteed if he doesn’t get his handful of injury call ups. Going into camp Chisholm is likely #10 on a crowded defense. Maybe it gets cleared up a bit with a before season trade, but I think the main beneficiary of that will be Heinola who I think the organization will want to get NHL games this season. If I had to make a bet I’d say Chisholm gets waived prior to the season and clears and plays on the Moose with a handful of injury replacement NHL games.

Reactions: LowLefty and DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

The Jets basically did the same thing with niku. We hyped him beyond galore ranking him b/w 2nd-5th for multiple years in hf jets' prospect rankings. Yet clearly wasn't good enough and the Jets transactions would've told you that too.

NOT saying chisholm is as good or bad as niku, however unless multiple injuries hit there is no spot for him, and the Jets transactions (or lack of) seem to suggest they're content with their d group. Or he may not be better than any of the regulars we iced last season.

The Jets have a good d group and put up solid numbers. They have a better grasp on what they have on Chisholm or any prospect than anyone here. Maybe just maybe they know what they have in him.

as @KingBogo mentioned we're a week away from camp and he got this as a contract. He's what, 7th on the LD depth chart? If the Jets viewed him anything of significant or a difference maker I think they'd have opened up a path for him to the roster much earlier in the off season.

And Stanley reportedly took back his trade request fwiw.

Reactions: LowLefty

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Jets basically did the same thing with niku. We hyped him beyond galore ranking him b/w 2nd-5th for multiple years in hf jets' prospect rankings. Yet clearly wasn't good enough and the Jets transactions would've told you that too.

NOT saying chisholm is as good or bad as niku, however unless multiple injuries hit there is no spot for him, and the Jets transactions (or lack of) seem to suggest they're content with their d group. Or he may not be better than any of the regulars we iced last season.

The Jets have a good d group and put up solid numbers. They have a better grasp on what they have on Chisholm or any prospect than anyone here. Maybe just maybe they know what they have in him.

as @KingBogo mentioned we're a week away from camp and he got this as a contract. He's what, 7th on the LD depth chart? If the Jets viewed him anything of significant or a difference maker I think they'd have opened up a path for him to the roster much earlier in the off season.

And Stanley reportedly took back his trade request fwiw.

If this org had a better track record with dmen I'd be more willing to cut them more slack.

I'm sure it will materialize again if he is stapled to the PB like last year. I think he's happy here if he is playing but if he's not he would want to be where they will play him. At this point in his career I don't blame him as he's running out of runway to establish himself and make good coin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad