Confirmed with Link: Declan Chisholm claimed by Minnesota.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Liked his game in A and when he had a cup of coffee in the NHL. Would hope they keep him around ahead of Stanley and Capobianco.

My 8 d for this season would be:

Morrissey/DeMelo
Samberg/Pionk
Dillon/Heinola
Chisholm/Schmidt

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Good to get him signed, Jets need to find a way to keep him up because I don't think he clears waivers. Hopefully he's heading right to Penticton.

He's 23 entering his 6th season post-draft. Is he better than any of the regular 6 plus Capo, Heinola or Stanley that they put out last year? And specifically on the left side with Morrissey-Dillon-Samberg?

If not then I don't think the Jets will really be aggressive in trying to free up a spot for a 9-10D. That never really has been their MO.

It seems like Bowness really liked the D group and overall performance from last year. I'm wagering on no change from last season.

None

Feb 22, 2012
He's 23 entering his 6th season post-draft. Is he better than any of the regular 6 plus Capo, Heinola or Stanley that they put out last year? And specifically on the left side with Morrissey-Dillon-Samberg?

If not then I don't think the Jets will really be aggressive in trying to free up a spot for a 9-10D. That never really has been their MO.

It seems like Bowness really liked the D group and overall performance from last year. I'm wagering on no change from last season.

Probably depends on the metrics you're using to define better, but I think he could be better than all of Capobianco, Heinola, and Stanley. Personally I think it's a wash between him and Heinola and that both are almost certainly better than Capobianco and Stanley.
As for the top 6 I think he could have the same or similar impact as Pionk or Schmidt, but the problem there is that he's LHD and they're RHD. Chisholm being cost controlled is a point in his favour but if there's no plan to fill out the roster using those potential savings then that point is moot.

I think you could possibly replace Dillon in the top 6 with Chisholm if you can handle the growing pains as he adjusts but it's only like a ~2.2 million cap saving move that we really don't need to make.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Heinola doesn't require waivers so he'll probably end up back on the Moose, and it's not out of line to say that Chisholm has been every bit as good as Heinola at the AHL level. He's also better than Stanley was at the AHL level. He didn't look out of place at all when he played 2 games in the NHL 2 years ago. There's much more potential value in seeing what we have in him than there is sticking with what we know we have in Stanley and Capobianco.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Probably depends on the metrics you're using to define better, but I think he could be better than all of Capobianco, Heinola, and Stanley. Personally I think it's a wash between him and Heinola and that both are almost certainly better than Capobianco and Stanley.
As for the top 6 I think he could have the same or similar impact as Pionk or Schmidt, but the problem there is that he's LHD and they're RHD. Chisholm being cost controlled is a point in his favour but if there's no plan to fill out the roster using those potential savings then that point is moot.

I think you could possibly replace Dillon in the top 6 with Chisholm if you can handle the growing pains as he adjusts but it's only like a ~2.2 million cap saving move that we really don't need to make.
so showcase the metrics/criteria then? Capo was better than all of heinola and Stanley last year imo.

Pionk is playing 20+ mins a night and the team has shown 0 signs of them ever demoting him regardless of how he played.

Schmidt was good last year with either Samberg or Dillon. He struggled with Stanley in 21-22, like mostly everyone did, and i think has anchored folks' view on him.

Replace Dillon with Chisholm, c'mon now. I don't think that's even in the ball-park of realm of possibilities. Dillon was real good last year and is our only Defenseman that plays with size and physicality while being one of the best defensively.

I really doubt this team is going to replace one of their top-6 dmen, that are around 20 mins night, or used in high-leverage situations etc w/ a non-elite prospect in a win-now year.
Heinola doesn't require waivers so he'll probably end up back on the Moose, and it's not out of line to say that Chisholm has been every bit as good as Heinola at the AHL level. He's also better than Stanley was at the AHL level. He didn't look out of place at all when he played 2 games in the NHL 2 years ago. There's much more potential value in seeing what we have in him than there is sticking with what we know we have in Stanley and Capobianco.
idk i just don't see the jets opening up a spot to give him regular NHL time.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
so showcase the metrics/criteria then? Capo was better than all of heinola and Stanley last year imo.

Pionk is playing 20+ mins a night and the team has shown 0 signs of them ever demoting him regardless of how he played.

Schmidt was good last year with either Samberg or Dillon. He struggled with Stanley in 21-22, like mostly everyone did, and i think has anchored folks' view on him.

Replace Dillon with Chisholm, c'mon now. I don't think that's even in the ball-park of realm of possibilities. Dillon was real good last year and is our only Defenseman that plays with size and physicality while being one of the best defensively.

I really doubt this team is going to replace one of their top-6 dmen, that are around 20 mins night, or used in high-leverage situations etc w/ a non-elite prospect in a win-now year.

Re: Schmidt, the "3rd pairing d making almost $6m" slander is ridiculous. Put him with an anchor and he gets anchored down, what a shock. I agree with you on him.

Also agree I don't see where Chisholm breaks in. If he was a left shot I don't think anyone would even care. Lots of players look good in the AHL but can't make the transition, I think Chisholm ends up in that category.

Reactions: DRW204

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

idk i just don't see the jets opening up a spot to give him regular NHL time.

My guess is he starts as the number 8 and has to wait for an injury to show what he can do. Honestly wish Stanley was dealt this summer as it looks to me like we are going to lose a potentially better player due to waivers in Capo/Chisholm at the end of camp.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Re: Schmidt, the "3rd pairing d making almost $6m" slander is ridiculous. Put him with an anchor and he gets anchored down, what a shock. I agree with you on him.

Also agree I don't see where Chisholm breaks in. If he was a left shot I don't think anyone would even care. Lots of players look good in the AHL but can't make the transition, I think Chisholm ends up in that category.

yeah lots of players struggle with stanley other than really demelo. so no surprise schmidt did too, esp to end of 21-22. but w/ samberg and dillon, both pairs performed really strongly. esp. dillon-schmidt.

does chisholm translate or not, no idea... im just looking at it more of a lens of this upcoming year. there's little to no shot imo that he's playing as a regular nhl dman on this team barring injury. even then this team i think really likes stanley still, and you have capo still in the fold who played well last year too.

does chisholm have potential to be the new PB guy? sure. but the idea of making room at this point of the off-season and finding a way to get him consistent NHL TOI i think is a bit farfetched given the depth chart.

at this pt in the off-season... what are the chances we see one of schmidt or pionk moved? :dunno:

this was a tweet from last year...still the same set of names ahead of him and i really don't think there's a trade coming.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Schmidt shoots left, but plays the RD position as he's rather adept at playing the puck off his backhand. I think we'd all be alot more appreciative of Nate if the team had another right shot defenseman, freeing him to play his strong side.

Morrissey/DeMelo
Samberg/Pionk
Dillon/Heinola
Chisholm/Schmidt
Even at the AHL level, Heinola has played LD. He hasn't been groomed at all for this responsiblity. The right shooting Kovacevik was his partner two years back & last season was the right shooting Gawanke. Unlike the Jets, the Moose have been loaded at RD for several seasons now.

Even with Kovacevik long gone & Gawanke traded for Kniazev, the Moose still have Lundmark, Salomonsson & Bauer at RD, so I doubt Heinola will spend much time there.

If you're looking for a a Schmidt replacement with an LD playing his weak side, it's Chisholm that's been given that resposibility at times.

Last edited:

None

Feb 22, 2012

So are we predicting what the Jets will do or assessing what we think is best? Because if we're assessing what the Jets will do then that's pretty easy. Obviously they're not replacing Schmidt or Pionk with Chisholm. All I was saying was that his upside is in the territory of those two. I don't think he's that far off either. I think long-term it's better for the team to provide opportunities to players like Chisholm who have dominated at the AHL level.

In that scenario it would be less Chisholm-replacing-Dillon and more Samberg-replacing-Dillon in my view. You're not going to have Chisholm leapfrog Samberg. I think Samberg is a more than adequate replacement of Dillon's minutes and Chisholm would be an adequate replacement of Samberg's role last year.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Chisholm is a left shot. I'm not saying he should jump straight into the lineup I'm saying he should be kept in the press box for when we get injuries and he should be in the lineup before Capo or Stanley.

Chisholm has been an elite defenseman in the AHL since he got there, he's earned a shot.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So are we predicting what the Jets will do or assessing what we think is best? Because if we're assessing what the Jets will do then that's pretty easy. Obviously they're not replacing Schmidt or Pionk with Chisholm. All I was saying was that his upside is in the territory of those two. I don't think he's that far off either. I think long-term it's better for the team to provide opportunities to players like Chisholm who have dominated at the AHL level.

In that scenario it would be less Chisholm-replacing-Dillon and more Samberg-replacing-Dillon in my view. You're not going to have Chisholm leapfrog Samberg. I think Samberg is a more than adequate replacement of Dillon's minutes and Chisholm would be an adequate replacement of Samberg's role last year.
my OP was operating in the lens of what i think the Jets will do. not fantasy-hockey HF talk that hardly ever comes to fruition. hence leading off my points in the OP with "I don't think the Jets will...." & "It seems like Bowness really liked the D group..."

and what criteria or methods of assessment are you looking at that showcases this team is better off replacing dillon in a roundabout way with chisholm?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Because they aren’t better than anyone on the “overpriced d-core”? I don’t feel bad for players who are worse than Schmidt, I feel bad for the Jets. This isn’t a high bar.

Why would you feel bad for the Jets? This is entirely on them. It is the strongest indictment of their ability to draft and develop defenseman than anything else right now. The way I see it, the Jets were unable to get any qualitative value for offloading the overburgeoning defensemen they have on their back end, and they are more valuable to them as proven NHL defense. Conversely, they aren't able to get anything else substantial value for unproven NHL defenseman, but they can't unseat the incumbents because of their contract status.

The Jets have no true number one defenseman, have a number two, two number three's, a number four, and about six number sixes. Heinola and Chisholm are capable of NHL games right now. They are fighting with Stanley and Capobianco for the press box.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Why would you feel bad for the Jets? This is entirely on them. It is the strongest indictment of their ability to draft and develop defenseman than anything else right now. The way I see it, the Jets were unable to get any qualitative value for offloading the overburgeoning defensemen they have on their back end, and they are more valuable to them as proven NHL defense. Conversely, they aren't able to get anything else substantial value for unproven NHL defenseman, but they can't unseat the incumbents because of their contract status.

The Jets have no true number one defenseman, have a number two, two number three's, a number four, and about six number sixes. Heinola and Chisholm are capable of NHL games right now. They are fighting with Stanley and Capobianco for the press box.

I mean JoMo has played the last two years at a number 1 level. They don't have a number 2 or 3. The rest are 4-6 types.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

I don't disagree with their record on draft/develop dmen.

However, no true #1? If Morrissey isnt a #1 then there's like a handful of "true #1 nhl dmen". I will say he does have to showcase last year wasn't a fluke though

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Liked his game in A and when he had a cup of coffee in the NHL. Would hope they keep him around ahead of Stanley and Capobianco.

Morrissey/DeMelo
Samberg/Pionk
Dillon/Heinola
Chisholm/Schmidt

I think the odd man out on your list is Ville. He is still waiver exempt. That is if there are no trades.

I agree with no change in the top 6. There are possibilities after that, including potential trades.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad