Decision on Blashill coming up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
That he wasn't let go right after the season is a strong indicator he will be signed. It is just how much and how long. He isn't a hot commodity in the open market so I have to imagine Yzerman is sweating him on length of term with an option to terminate.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Him and Yzerman are completely clueless about tanking. 1-2-2 and play your best goalie to the bitter end.
If Stevie wanted to tank he wouldn't have signed any free agents and re-signed Bowey. Extending Blash is just an admission that the team doesn't have enough pieces to compete for a playoff spot.

The team is just stuck in a bad spot right now. Not good enough to compete for the playoffs, not bad enough to get a top pick. Chances are pretty good that the team will be a .500 (pt percentage) team next season, regardless of the coach. The only reason to change coaches would be to actually tank and go for Wright.

Reactions: lilidk

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
I don't believe this until one of those speak up. Both persons who have spoke have had a torn in their side to Babcock. Z, D and Lidstrom don't have anything to lose to speak up.

The whole Franzen incidents I as I read things, don't think anyone knew they extend of his mental state. And honestly think it's been blown up given the end of Franzen's career and his state now.
Again, these guys have nothing holding them back of speaking out about things if they want to., if there is something there. I have only read once that Z spoke about it, and he said he didn't know and hadn't seen the extent of it. Or it's possible that he being in the league for many years, in many cases are used to coaches being on different players now and then and it sort of is a part of pro hockey.

I agree with this. I cannot imagine Nick Lidstrom, Zetterberg or Datsyuk going to Holland and demanding Babcock be fired and the Wings chose Babcock over said players. I have little doubt those guys didn’t like him, but I can’t see Lidstrom going to Holland and Holland telling him that if he doesn’t like playing for Babcock, he can be traded, which is paraphrasing what Chelios said Holland’s reply was.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If Stevie wanted to tank he wouldn't have signed any free agents and re-signed Bowey. Extending Blash is just an admission that the team doesn't have enough pieces to compete for a playoff spot.

The team is just stuck in a bad spot right now. Not good enough to compete for the playoffs, not bad enough to get a top pick. Chances are pretty good that the team will be a .500 (pt percentage) team next season, regardless of the coach. The only reason to change coaches would be to actually tank and go for Wright.

well, it worked for Buffa...ohhhh, wait a minute.

I've banged the drum before but I still don't think it's appreciated how being a lousy team bleeds into following seasons and the affects it can have on an organization. It's like salting the earth, it just gets more and more difficult to get anything to grow. Your players lose faith in you, your fans lose faith in you, other teams lose faith in you. And it's not like this club bottomed out when Yzerman took over, they were a bottom10 team for the last two years Holland was here.

This team is going to get better, and it's going to need a bit more luck at the draft lotto if they want a top pick. To actively work against the upward swing of the organization is courting some pretty nasty fall out.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
well, it worked for Buffa...ohhhh, wait a minute.

I've banged the drum before but I still don't think it's appreciated how being a lousy team bleeds into following seasons and the affects it can have on an organization. It's like salting the earth, it just gets more and more difficult to get anything to grow. Your players lose faith in you, your fans lose faith in you, other teams lose faith in you. And it's not like this club bottomed out when Yzerman took over, they were a bottom10 team for the last two years Holland was here.

This team is going to get better, and it's going to need a bit more luck at the draft lotto if they want a top pick. To actively work against the upward swing of the organization is courting some pretty nasty fall out.
I'm not a tank proponent, but I'm also against overpaying for middle tier talent in free agency. We'll see what Stevie manages to do this summer. The team needs a LHD.

I hope he goes big next summer though.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not a tank proponent, but I'm also against overpaying for middle tier talent in free agency. We'll see what Stevie manages to do this summer. The team needs a LHD.

I hope he goes big next summer though.

It's not even about chasing big name UFA, though - it's not wanting to accumulate points at all. Even if we go out and sign the equivalent of Staal/Merrill/Ryan this offseason, I think the hope/idea is that the young guys we have in the lineup or who will be brought into the lineup will get better. And this team is probably going to move slowly up the rankings. Instead of hanging out in the 2-5 area most of the year, they'll be in that 4-7 area.

But there are going to be complaints about playing our "good" goalie, or playing a system that covers for some of the flaws of the roster (complaints that go beyond it just not being a preferred or entertaining system - it's the fact that it works). I think we should want everyone to do what they can to win. If you go out of your way to force losing on a team for the sake of draft picks I think it gets harder to become a team that doesn't lose.

this team is really going to rise and fall on the back of the young guys and if it rises...good.

edit: not that I'm saying you're pro nuking everything. From our past conversations I think we're closer to how we see this team and moving forward than we're not.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
"It's all about puck possession here," Mantha said. "They want us to keep the puck as long as we can, make the plays at the right time, and if it's not there, they want a lot of shot attempts or to get the puck back. They want to control the play basically for the whole game. Compared to Detroit, which lately was more of trying to dump a little more, and obviously the confidence wasn't as high as over here."
- Anthony Mantha wants to be a 'difference-maker' for the Washington Capitals

We're all aware of Blash's low-event/dump and chase game plan by now but here's Mantha talking about it a bit.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Thank you for that elaborate and detailed discussion of Blash's system. I really appreciated Mantha's nuanced explanation of the topic.

I love the part where Mantha doesn't talk about how if any single Wings player tried some of the things that Ovechkin or Carlson or Backstrom tried to hold onto possession, it would result in a turnover and an odd man rush headed back the other way.

I mean Mantha can't talk about his former teammates and friends in a negative fashion, but you know deep down he's thinking "holy shit, these guys are so much better that we can play real hockey"

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He'll also be signing a player contract. He's replacing Bernier next year.
Not until after the expansion draft. Any player re-signed now would just mean someone else gets exposed. Free agency doesn't start until after the expansion draft, so there's no rush.

The delay probably has to do with Blash, and if he was going to get released, they would have done that by now. Looks to me like an extension of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad