Decision on Blashill coming up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
I don’t believe Blash has earned the right to return, but no one knows what next year is going to look like, and seeing as how the team still isn’t going to be any good, I would get the thinking that it’s just easier to maintain the status quo for one more year. I don’t agree with it, but these aren’t normal times.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Here are the number of times in NHL history a coach (of one of the active 31 NHL franchises) had four straight, out-of-the-playoff seasons and lived to start season 5.4.

1940s. F Boucher, Rangers. (previous cup winner)
90s-00s. B Trotz, Nashville. (expansion)
2010s. Dave Tippett

Boucher had won a cup with the Rangers, so maybe that's why they were patient.
Trotz was the franchise's original coach.
Tipppet had brought the Yotes to the playoffs 3 straight years after a six-year drought and was considered one of the few respectable things about the franchise.

Blashill's point percentage
15-16 .567
16-17 .482
17-18 .445
18-19 .451
19-20 .275

IMO, allowing Blashill to return would be a slap in the face to the players, team staff and fans.

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
I guess no one wants to coach this roster, eh?

EDIT: I wonder if the top candidates that Stevie may or may not have his eye on are waiting to see what happens with teams that are in that 24 playoff group.

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
Also, question - I suppose they can't point to extenuating circumstances/the delay in the season as grounds for extending Blashill's contract deadline?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
UGH if he is staying. At least a decent portion of our sucking is still on him. Yes we have a low end roster, but 4 bad years is still 4 bad years, and keeping status quo is really lame when trying to keep people interested in a currently losing situation.

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
Here's my very xanax induced take: Who cares? In case anyone noticed we're historically awful. And it's more than likely we will continue to be awful this coming season. And (brace for impact) probably still pretty bad the season after that. Why take a good coach and force him to try and squeeze blood from a rock for 3-4 seasons? And why would a good coach even wanna sign up for that? Just make stanky butt Blashill do it until we have all the 1st rounders we want, then dispose of him when that period has run its course.

IMO if Blashill is back it clearly indicates Yzerman is content to run this boat into the rocks for another season, if not more. Blashill will continue his vital role as the sacrificial lamb to the tank gods so we can get our picks. Plus "hE's GoOd wiTh KIdS" remember when every anti-baber was feverishly preaching this? Well that's exactly what we need now; good with kids baldy bro. So reap what you sowed and take your Blash-medicine.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I don’t believe Blash has earned the right to return, but no one knows what next year is going to look like, and seeing as how the team still isn’t going to be any good, I would get the thinking that it’s just easier to maintain the status quo for one more year. I don’t agree with it, but these aren’t normal times.
The Tank Commander has done a glorious job and will do so again next year.

You guys wanted to tank and you got your Tank Commander Blashill. Best in the game at that. What is problem?

Reactions: ChrisReevesLegs

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Look, I've got nothing against Prashanth Iyer, but why do people around here quote him like he's got some inside information? He lives in North Carolina for f***'s sake. He does... suspect... statistical analysis, and people seem to think he's some sort of holy grail of information.

Talk about an overreaction. He made a comment that is 100% accurate about the decision needing to be made. He referenced a Custance article. He gave his gut feeling.

He didn’t pretend to have inside information. He literally just restated information that was already established, but that nobody else had previously brought up with the NHL’s announcement.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Yzerman should probably be fired if he brings Blashill back again next year with how many good coaches are floating around right now

he won't be,but for me that would cross that line
Well considering it's his 1st full season as our GM I wouldn't be too hasty in firing Yzerman.

That said I'd prefer to see Blashill replaced - however are the guys available wanting to coach in Detroit?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Here's my very xanax induced take: Who cares? In case anyone noticed we're historically awful. And it's more than likely we will continue to be awful this coming season. And (brace for impact) probably still pretty bad the season after that. Why take a good coach and force him to try and squeeze blood from a rock for 3-4 seasons? And why would a good coach even wanna sign up for that? Just make stanky butt Blashill do it until we have all the 1st rounders we want, then dispose of him when that period has run its course.

IMO if Blashill is back it clearly indicates Yzerman is content to run this boat into the rocks for another season, if not more. Blashill will continue his vital role as the sacrificial lamb to the tank gods so we can get our picks. Plus "hE's GoOd wiTh KIdS" remember when every anti-baber was feverishly preaching this? Well that's exactly what we need now; good with kids baldy bro. So reap what you sowed and take your Blash-medicine.
If there's a man that's capable...

e30a-2015520-babcock-leafs.jpg

Reactions: ChrisReevesLegs

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada

You don't think a different voice behind the bench is important, regardless of the lack of talent on the roster? Blashill has already overstayed his welcome. I realize the team sucks, but it's not logical to keep bringing the same guy back because the team sucks. Sometimes a new voice is a breath of fresh air for the players. There is no reason whatsoever in keeping Blashill around.

Based on all of this though, I fully expect him to be back next year because, hey, it's the Red Wing way! Loyalty at all costs! "Who cares if this guy has one of the worst winning percentages in the history of the league, let's bring him back with open arms because we are a loyal organization that treats people the right way!"

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
If he was going it would have been done by now. I don’t agree with his coaching philosophies of only taking high percentage shots and then we end up with 20 shots the entire game. Is he good with the kids? I didn’t see AA flourishing under his guidance. Larkin seems frustrated at times. I don’t know who to bring in. Maybe Lane Lambert. Just don’t bring back that effing Babcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->