Injury Report: Dec. 31: Del Zotto (hand/wrist) day-to-day

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I just don't see how Hextall (and possibly you?) can say anything other than Ghost playing in the NHL being the best thing for the team. It's just terribly clear. I don't know what they're willing to do, but sending down Ghost isn't something I'm willing to do.

It's clear he is shining. He needs to be in the NHL. Do whatever you can to keep this train rolling with minimal issues.

Ghost HAS forced older players out. It's pretty obvious that he's among the top 6 defensemen, and there's no excuse to be playing duds like Schultz, Manning or even Schenn ahead of him.

I'm not sure how you can think he hasn't already placed himself in the top 4 of the depth chart, unless your definition of force someone out is to have them whacked.

Hextall said it, that's why I mentioned it. "It's obvious," "pretty clear," "how can you say otherwise," words and allusions that keep appearing in this thread when it comes to when Ghost should stay in the lineup. It's also what people say about Nick Schultz's bulletproof status. Also obvious that Schultz wasn't required to return (he got 2 years!) Obvious, clear, apparently it's none of those things.

If the plan is to waive Gagner or Umberger, or send down Laughton, then it will happen. If the plan is something else, then time may need to be bought to let itself play out. Remember when Claude Giroux had to return to the Phantoms in 2009?

I don't think Manning will be the one because he is cheap to keep around. I don't like to have 8 defensemen around unless you're playing 7 defensemen.

Last edited:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Hextall said it, that's why I mentioned it. "It's obvious," "pretty clear," "how can you say otherwise," words and allusions that keep appearing in this thread when it comes to when Ghost should stay in the lineup. It's also what people say about Nick Schultz's bulletproof status. Also obvious that Schultz wasn't required to return (he got 2 years!) Obvious, clear, apparently it's none of those things.

If the plan is to waive Gagner or Umberger, or send down Laughton, then it will happen. If the plan is something else, then time may need to be bought to let itself play out. Remember when Claude Giroux had to return to the Phantoms in 2009?

I don't think Manning will be the one because he is cheap to keep around. I don't like to have 8 defensemen around unless you're playing 7 defensemen.

I understand that. But if we just "ok" and sit here until the decision, there's no conversation being had. Also, GM's aren't always forward with their intentions, which is why I feel I can doubt these allusions.

I do remember when Giroux was sent down, but Giroux didn't have nearly the impact Ghost did. G came up, looked a little flashy (even got a shootout opportunity against Ottawa, I think) and went back down. Simple considering he had I think 9 games or we burned a year off of his ELC. Ghost has to play. If anything else happens, I seriously question what the goal of the organization is this year at this point.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I understand that. But if we just "ok" and sit here until the decision, there's no conversation being had. Also, GM's aren't always forward with their intentions, which is why I feel I can doubt these allusions.

I do remember when Giroux was sent down, but Giroux didn't have nearly the impact Ghost did. G came up, looked a little flashy (even got a shootout opportunity against Ottawa, I think) and went back down. Simple considering he had I think 9 games or we burned a year off of his ELC. Ghost has to play. If anything else happens, I seriously question what the goal of the organization is this year at this point.

You're thinking it was that emergency recall. The next year he turned pro, and midway through the season he was brought up, but Holmgren was juggling cap space, injuries, and roster spots.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think it's going to be a minor trade. Who goes I have no clue though. Wait until the roster freeze is over and give it a few days since after tonight we don't play until Wednesday again for something to finalize.

I don't think it's Simmonds at all but rather a Luke Schenn trade maybe. Vancouver or a team like that. Hopefully. We can pray right?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Was everyone aware that Hextall is in Finland for the tournament or am I last to the party on this?

It had been reported but I don't think everyone here noticed. I argued it made the unlikely move of trading Simmonds even less likely. Not because a trade couldn't get done over the phone, but I think the GM would want to be with the team when something that big went down.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think if push comes to shove they send Laughton down & roll with 7 defensemen until a solution is made/found.

Him or Umberger. I would prefer it to be Gagner but Hextall might think or know he can get a pick for him at the deadline.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
It had been reported but I don't think everyone here noticed. I argued it made the unlikely move of trading Simmonds even less likely. Not because a trade couldn't get done over the phone, but I think the GM would want to be with the team when something that big went down.

Yeah, I think if Hextall traded Simmonds over the Christmas break, it's the kind of trade that would demand an immediate press conference to explain. That's a big deal kind of trade. He wouldn't wait until the 6th to do that.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I just can't see any way Hextall would trade Simmonds with the team playing well (and he being a big contributor to that).

We aren't contenders and we aren't in a tear-down rebuild mode. Makes little sense.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I don't think there's a trade in place, and I don't think many do. Speculation was/is just a way to pass the time.

Just waive or trade Gagner and get on with it.

caseoftastykakes

Sep 26, 2015
If we can move Streit I'd be so happy

I think for any team to be interested he would need to play some more games with Philly first. He's coming off a pretty serious injury. His skill set may be redundant and replaceable at this point. I have mixed feelings on moving Streit. He's been a good pro for the Flyers.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think the Flyers can get anything for Gagner & I don't think he would be claimed off waivers either. They'd probably have to take a contract back in a trade if anything is there for him to be moved.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Streit shouldn't be moved right now unless they're getting a 1st round pick-plus for him.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That's incredibly optimistic.

Not at all. Look at what Coburn returned. Streit produces, on the power play, too. Streit doesn't have a credentialed playoff resume, but those guys are still game-changers, and having him under contract for another year is potentially a big positive.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
If Ghost keeps his spot on the top PP unit, it will mean reduced production for Streit. Hat might take a bite out of the potential return.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Streit's contract more than likely works against him than it does for him.

He's 38 years old & was looking like he was losing some steps before his current injury. The cap being tight & an extra year at $5.25M might be too big of gamble for a team to take on top of giving premium assets.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think the Flyers can get anything for Gagner & I don't think he would be claimed off waivers either. They'd probably have to take a contract back in a trade if anything is there for him to be moved.

Then why would they demote Laughton or waive Umberger, both of whom who Hakstol prefers in the lineup over Gagner?

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

He's 38 years old & was looking like he was losing some steps before his current injury. The cap being tight & an extra year at $5.25M might be too big of gamble for a team to take on top of giving premium assets.
If he really played despite being injured, it would explain why he was looking slow.
I don't think he has lost a step yet. Last season was his most productive season as a Flyer.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

A 40-point defenseman with only a commitment for one year may be worth the gamble if you're a team like Florida, who have assets and cap room to play with, or St. Louis, who are pretty desperate to make some noise. With 9 points in the first 16 games, he was doing just fine.

Remember, last year a team was willing to give up 2 2nd round picks for a 40-year old defenseman who hadn't played a game. Defenseman are always at a huge premium. If Streit is available, they will definitely get a haul.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad