Injury Report: Dec. 31: Del Zotto (hand/wrist) day-to-day

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
A 40-point defenseman with only a commitment for one year may be worth the game if you're a team like Florida, who have assets and cap room to play with, or St. Louis, who are pretty desperate to make some noise. With 9 points in the first 16 games, he was doing just fine.

Remember, last year a team was willing to give up 2 2nd round picks for a 40-year old defenseman who hadn't played a game. Defenseman are always at a huge premium. If Streit is available, they will definitely get a haul.

Florida's looking for help up front. They got Campbell & Ekblad on their top PP unit. St. Louis is another team that needs more help up front than they do on the backend. They have Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, & Parayko on the backend for their PP units.

Timonen had no committment to him past that year. In a lot of cases teams will overpay just for that flexibility of being able to just walk away if things don't work out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Timonen had no committment to him past that year. In a lot of cases teams will overpay just for that flexibility of being able to just walk away if things don't work out.

To improve their chances to win, they'll make it work. Worry about it later. Streit also don't have the same mileage.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
To improve their chances to win, they'll make it work. Worry about it later. Streit also don't have the same mileage.

$5.25M is a lot to think about with a stagnating cap.

We'll see but I wouldn't get my hopes up of Streit even being traded this year let along bringing in a big haul.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I could see Streit to a decent team needing PP help like Florida or Minnesota. Suter should not be heading a PP.

I thought about Minnesota, but the Flyers would have to take a contract back. Which is fine. They're on the hook next year for $1M from Matt Cooke's buyout.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not at all. Look at what Coburn returned. Streit produces, on the power play, too. Streit doesn't have a credentialed playoff resume, but those guys are still game-changers, and having him under contract for another year is potentially a big positive.

Well Coburn is/was worth significantly more than Streit because of his defensive play. Also, teams aren't stupid, they know a lot of Streits points came from playing with Giroux and Voracek on the power play so it's not like they're going to get as many points out of him as we did.

As for the Timonen trade comparison, the problem here is Striets contract. I think that significantly lowers his value because teams just don't have the cap space for it. Timonen was far cheaper and was expiring. Whoever we trade Streit to needs to find a lot of cap space for next year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Minnesota is also running out of draft picks. They don't have a 2nd, 3rd, or 5th this year, nor their 2nd next year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well Coburn is/was worth significantly more than Streit because of his defensive play. Also, teams aren't stupid, they know a lot of Streits points came from playing with Giroux and Voracek on the power play so it's not like they're going to get as many points out of him as we did.

Someone who makes that move presumably has comparable players. Power plays work because you have good players on it.

Are teams stupid? Yes. Some of them are.

As for the Timonen trade comparison, the problem here is Striets contract. I think that significantly lowers his value because teams just don't have the cap space for it. Timonen was far cheaper and was expiring. Whoever we trade Streit to needs to find a lot of cap space for next year.

A team that feels they are close will deal with it.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Does Ottawa make sense?
A fan said they need a 2nd pairing LHD.

Karlsson runs both powerplays so I'd say they'd look elsewhere. If I want a LHD from the Flyers with a contract expiring in 16/17, I want Del Zotto. Younger, cheaper, and better 5v5.

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008
I'd debate you on this. ;)

We have been one of the dumbest teams when it came to taking aging players with huge contracts. We finally are changing that(it seems). I think back to when we got Tony Amonte, it always seemed we got players wayyyy past there prime, lecaveler is a perfect example. It's about time we started fleecing some other teams....

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I wouldn't call teams stupid but more desperate. The GM's are in control by Owners almost always have final say on decisions and also roster moves they are thinking about making. Also, they give GM's demands just like our bosses do. The owner thinks they have a chance he might tell the GM to try and get something done to make it to the cup. Desperation is more the word I think I would use instead of stupid.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I wouldn't call teams stupid but more desperate. The GM's are in control by Owners almost always have final say on decisions and also roster moves they are thinking about making. Also, they give GM's demands just like our bosses do. The owner thinks they have a chance he might tell the GM to try and get something done to make it to the cup. Desperation is more the word I think I would use instead of stupid.

Some moves are just stupid though. Boston trading for Rinaldo, trading Hamilton before properly shopping him, us trading for MacDonald and extending him for 6 years. Clarkson...Bolland... There's such a long list of inexplicable moves, and they happen with such regularity, it's hard for me to be convinced that some general managers aren't pretty dumb.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Tbf to Streit he is, since joining the Flyers:

25th in 5v5 P/60 for Dmen. (Shattenkirk, Faulk & Leddy are three closest around him.)
28th in 5v5 points for Dmen. (Leddy & Ekman-Larsson with same amount.)

I mean... I think he IS worth a late 1st in terms of his playing ability... it is just if that extra year of contract is too big a hump for teams to give a 1st. If he came back playing at the same level he was before going down and was UFA at year end I would be pretty confident of a late 1st.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
$5.25M is a lot to think about with a stagnating cap.

We'll see but I wouldn't get my hopes up of Streit even being traded this year let along bringing in a big haul.

Absolutely. That's a major issue for all contenders unless Hextall is willing to retain half of his cap hit.

There is a bunch of pieces like Luke Schenn, Nick Schultz or Medvedev that could easily be moved. Streit will most likely still be here next season. Even if an OD, PP QB goes down there will be other options with less term available.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
If streit is healthy, and we retained 25% of his salary, I have no doubt he's worth a 1st to the capitals or some other top team.

But do we really want to trade him? If we get into playoff position, he could really help us out..

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Step 1: do as little as possible to get cap compliant with Streit back in the lineup.

Step 2: wait and see how the next month goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->