LeBrun: DeBrincat will most likely be traded, agent has submitted list of preferred destinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
I am not sure why I would even do Bratt for Debrincat straight up
He's a better fit. Like Bounces R Way said, I could see him being dynamic paired up with Hughes. Though, I'd make the top line Debrincat-Hughes-Meier. Or swap the wingers around if they prefer to play on that side. This playoff run showed me that Bratt isn't the kind of guy you lean on when you need to win.

Will Debrincat be that guy? Maybe not, he's about as weak defensively as Bratt is, but I really like the idea of him with the Hughes bros.

Reactions: Weezeric

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
How about he go back to Chicago and form the pocket rocket duo of Bedard/DeBrincat - their nickname will be the Tyrion Lannister line.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
He's a better fit. Like Bounces R Way said, I could see him being dynamic paired up with Hughes. Though, I'd make the top line Debrincat-Hughes-Meier. Or swap the wingers around if they prefer to play on that side. This playoff run showed me that Bratt isn't the kind of guy you lean on when you need to win.

Will Debrincat be that guy? Maybe not, he's about as weak defensively as Bratt is, but I really like the idea of him with the Hughes bros.

I don't know what you're watching if you think that Bratt is weak defensively (that's not to say that he's Mark stone, of course...but i Have no major issues with him defensively).

Debrincat is also more expensive for the one year they have left

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
How about he go back to Chicago and form the pocket rocket duo of Bedard/DeBrincat - their nickname will be the Tyrion Lannister line.
No. I don't need more reason to cheer for Chicago. Tyrion's the best.

independent observer

Apr 9, 2023

As an Oilers fan, I would make the following proposal:

Yamer for DeBrincat… that‘s basically a wash, similar size and skill… Yamer has a bit more teamfriendly contract and plays with more grit… morever, mcdavid would be happy if his jrs buddy is back on his wing.

If Ottawa wants some size, we can give them Foegele on top for a 2nd rounder.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
The challenge in a Debrincat trade is the same as Chicago faced last summer. If the player is on a market level contract long-term (9M AAV) - its hard to justify giving up a plethora of significant assets for him (or any other player at that cap hit) - because it means you have to move other pieces off your roster to make the money fit.

Hes a year from UFA, so he will have the leverage to choose where he wants to go in trade (or they trade him without an extension worked out, in which case they will get less than they traded FOR him last season coming off a better season and under team control for two years).

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
As an Oilers fan, I would make the following proposal:

Yamer for DeBrincat… that‘s basically a wash, similar size and skill… Yamer has a bit more teamfriendly contract and plays with more grit… morever, mcdavid would be happy if his jrs buddy is back on his wing.

If Ottawa wants some size, we can give them Foegele on top for a 2nd rounder.
This is a popular buyout candidate for a 25 year old two time 40 goal scorer?

Stop the search Ottawa. Clearly an offer you jump at.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Whats amazing about Debrincat to me is he's played at least 82 games in 4 different seasons
and if not for the Covid shortened seasons he could have played 82 in every season of his career.
For a guy that small thats quite amazing.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Probably figured three major factors would be things nobody knew at the time.

- How much he’d like his teammates and want to grow with them

- How much he’d like the city after living here a while and want to put down roots

- How much actual on ice success he’d have here

These are things you can’t know pre-acquisition of a player.
Not to mention there was very little risk for Ottawa.

If he liked it there and wanted to sign for a reasonable number, was a steal of a trade.

If Ottawa isn't comfortable with the number he wants to stay, they can very likely recoup nearly the same value they traded for him all the while they got a season with him to make a run at the playoffs.

Very little ways for Ottawa to walk away from this venture as losers.

Reactions: PatrickMcC

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Bratt has been a playoff dud in the one year he's had a chance to go. He's also only had two 70+ point seasons - both of which were when he needs a new contract. He's not a one hit wonder any longer, but he can still just as easily regress.

Debrincat has been solid throughout his entire career. Better track record overall. He can play either wing which gives him more versatility.

I just personally find Debrincat more valuable.
I won't argue more valuable, if you want that have it, but a 1st?

The last 2 seasons he has been as good if not better than Debrincant.

Playoffs are 13 games with 6 points for Bratt, 9 games with 6 points for Alex. Again, not worthy of a 1st or even mentioning really.

No doubt Debrincat has been better longer, but now that Bratt is on par with him and 8 months younger, the past doesn't really matter.

Again, at least not to the tune of a 1st.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
He doesn't want to sign apparently, it was a gamble. They should be able to recoup something.
He (probably) isn't willing to sign long-term right now. Anything beyond that is speculation, although I will say I was against acquiring Debrincat before it happened.

I thought the price was well worth it at the time, though, and am not too concerned either way given that (as you mention) we will recoup assets, plus the acquisition brought a lot of excitement. Not sure we get Giroux if not for Debrincat, not sure we extend Stützle so easily without G & Cat, etc.

LOOOOL. Where are Sens fans who were screaming he would get signed at?

You could tell he was going to bolt from Day 1.
Nice Tavares avatar

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
What was the purpose of the acquisition? I thought they planned on signing him long term.
Unfortunately it's frowned upon to force players to sign contracts against their will. They obviously thought the good vibes in the Ottawa locker room combined with a bunch of young guys ready to turn the corner would be enough to entice DeBrincat to sign long term. He apparently doesn't want to and such is life. You move him for something of relative value and you move on with your life

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
If they can recover their lost assets then it'll be fine for Dorion.

The summer of Dorion was a meme. GM looking to compete with 0 bad salary on the books and a ton of cap space signs and trades for help. Shocker.

What's more shocking is how Dorion didn't swoop in on cheap free assets with their cap space like Carolina did.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I'd wager the return would be something like a mid - late first, decent prospect, a 2nd or 3rd, and maybe a fodder chip?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Dorion put Ottawa in a very tough situation. Trading a 7th OA pick for a player getting close to UFA in a season where you yourself said the goal is not the playoffs... that had the chance to backfire spectacularly and lo and behold, it has.

Ottawa needs to hope there's a team out there, with whom Debrincat would extend, that's under the gun from their owner to win quickly and think Debrincat might push them in contention.

I'm thinking Washington might be a fit. Ottawa could take Mantha back to get a better pick/prospect in the deal.

ADB for Mantha + McMichael + 2023 2nd (40th OA).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad