GDT: Death, taxes and Travis Green (Canucks vs. Wild on Wednesday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Canucks win 5-3 with goals from Pettersson Miller Toffoli Virtanen and the empty netter by Horvat assisted by Eriksson and Pearson

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
That lineup looks like you have a 3rd line destined to play 9 mins.

Not rocket science.. but there is logic here.
Lmao the 3rd line is perfectly fine. Let them f***ing play and they'll show yoi just that.

Prometheus

May 14, 2018
Lmao the 3rd line is perfectly fine. Let them ****ing play and they'll show yoi just that.

I recall in high school our basketball coach wanted to try an innovative defensive scheme. When it worked and everybody clicked it was deadly, but if timing and decision-making were even a bit off we got ventilated. We either gave up 40 and won by 30 or gave up 80 and lost by 20.

Seems like this with the Canucks this year. Either they are dominant with pressure or they are a firedrill in their own end and rely on Markstrom to keep the puck out and Hughes to change the flow.

Cam someone describe what kind od system Green uses and if this is the result? Or is it a personnel issue? Or is this what you have to accept with a young team learning to play the pro game at the highest level?

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Why is Eriksson still in the top 6? He has like 5 non empty net points this year.. and has been trash offensively for 3 seasons now. Give anybody else a chance. Baertschi or Lind aren’t going to set the world on fire but they are much better options. I would rather see Tomi Santala or Byron Ritchie in the top 6 than Loui f***ing Eriksson.

But hey this is the same coach who played beagle and Schaller decent minutes over 4o games when they combined for a single goal.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I'm starting to think that we have a systems problem...........our team shouldn't be giving up anywhere near the amount of scoring opportunities that we are night in and night out. Unfortunately I don't see Green getting fired anytime soon.

How would you know if there was a systems issue?
Ever coached at a professional level?

I dont think you are qualified to make these assumptions.

Reactions: I am toxic

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I recall in high school our basketball coach wanted to try an innovative defensive scheme. When it worked and everybody clicked it was deadly, but if timing and decision-making were even a bit off we got ventilated. We either gave up 40 and won by 30 or gave up 80 and lost by 20.

Seems like this with the Canucks this year. Either they are dominant with pressure or they are a firedrill in their own end and rely on Markstrom to keep the puck out and Hughes to change the flow.

Cam someone describe what kind od system Green uses and if this is the result? Or is it a personnel issue? Or is this what you have to accept with a young team learning to play the pro game at the highest level?

I can't find anything right now. For discussion on offensive zone, there is this:

The Canucks are at their best playing a north-south game that places a premium on pressuring the opposition. Forecheckers and pinching defencemen are supposed to create turnovers and scoring chances. Sometimes they do and sometimes blue-liners are caught up ice, and if there’s not a forward in support, there’s trouble.
“It’s important for any team to be aggressive on the forecheck, and part of that is the D-man pinching down on the half wall,” said Myers. “It’s partly on us (defencemen) to make sure we have coverage and a lot on F3 (high forward) to make sure he’s there.
“We want to be aggressive — it’s the strength of our team — and it’s just making sure we back each other up.” And when they don’t and odd-man rushes turn into goals, school is back in session.

For breakouts, I thought I read somewhere something about stretch passes (to spread out the opposition and open up space on the breakout), but honestly if the Canucks have a system I can't see it.

Other than relying on Markstrom to bail them out.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
How would you know if there was a systems issue?
Ever coached at a professional level?

I dont think you are qualified to make these assumptions.

Someone had a nerve struck didn't they? Relax, maybe try some meditation.........The Calm app is great. No one is going to take your right to critique management away from you. It's going to be ok..........

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Pretty clearly a nerve was struck - but sure let me remind you that I agreed with your point 100% so not really sure what upset you soo much? (unless your hockey pools aren't doing great lately?)
Alright, alright, I'll bury the hatched.
Also, I don't do hockey pools.

Careful with the subtle jabs, it's the sort of stuff that won't get you an infraction but will bait people into flaming you. I had to deal with that a bunch when Ryan Miller was around. Holy shit that guy. I think I had the exact same argument with that guy as I did with you. Probably why I was a bit more aggressive. So I admit, it did hit a nerve. The guy would bait a lot of people into flaming him, so I had to give them an infraction/warning (mostly all warnings) and not him.

You know, Ryan Miller and I had a long discussion in PM's about if the Canuck's Army guy, who had official credential passes given out by the Canucks organization themselves, about if they were considered a "real source". He insisted that all discussions surrounding the "Miller for the 9th overall pick from SJ" should all be shut down due to them not being a real source. We went back and forth with that for days. Then when I thought it was all done, he would open up the discussion again.

And because he didn't directly flame anyone, he wouldn't pick up infractions because he had technically not done anything wrong. That is when the board was a f***ing shit-show with anti-Benning/pro-Benning posts. From both sides, I was accused of favoring the other side.

I probably should have been harsher on him, but he was such a regular that booting him would also be considered favoritism. Especially when some posters agreed with him on certain positions. After I stepped down, they banned him. Thank goodness for that. I have a whole different perspective on moderating that I did previously.

It really isn't that hard to get into trouble as long as you don't attack the posts, not the poster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Motte in for Mackewen
Somehow beagle is still in the lineup. wish they would go with Sutter as the 4th line Center but we won’t since beagle has complete immunity.

MacEwen scored more goals in ten games than beagle has all season.

we pretty much have to rely on Petey/miller most nights because our 4th line is so bad and never chips in.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I know they needed the rest, but a game every 3 or 4 days is a drag. Hope Toffoli injects some much needed spark.

LET'S GET GOING !!!

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
What a weird critique.
The 70's line hasn't been a thing for while - dating back to while they were on the same roster.. and meanwhile we need a RW for the top line here.

I'm pretty sure they'll get their opportunity together... probably as soon as after the next PK.

Additionally... Gaudette best worked with Virtanen... and with Roussel picking up his play a bit here... seems to make the most sense to reunite that trio to help get things going while continuing to shift Virtanen up with Horvat here and there when needed..

or we could be like :scared:

I'll be like that.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Alright, alright, I'll bury the hatched.
Also, I don't do hockey pools.

Careful with the subtle jabs, it's the sort of stuff that won't get you an infraction but will bait people into flaming you. I had to deal with that a bunch when Ryan Miller was around. Holy shit that guy. I think I had the exact same argument with that guy as I did with you. Probably why I was a bit more aggressive. So I admit, it did hit a nerve. The guy would bait a lot of people into flaming him, so I had to give them an infraction/warning (mostly all warnings) and not him.

You know, Ryan Miller and I had a long discussion in PM's about if the Canuck's Army guy, who had official credential passes given out by the Canucks organization themselves, about if they were considered a "real source". He insisted that all discussions surrounding the "Miller for the 9th overall pick from SJ" should all be shut down due to them not being a real source. We went back and forth with that for days. Then when I thought it was all done, he would open up the discussion again.

And because he didn't directly flame anyone, he wouldn't pick up infractions because he had technically not done anything wrong. That is when the board was a f*cking shit-show with anti-Benning/pro-Benning posts. From both sides, I was accused of favoring the other side.

I probably should have been harsher on him, but he was such a regular that booting him would also be considered favoritism. Especially when some posters agreed with him on certain positions. After I stepped down, they banned him. Thank goodness for that. I have a whole different perspective on moderating that I did previously.

It really isn't that hard to get into trouble as long as you don't attack the posts, not the poster.

Cool story

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
MacEwen was the best forward last game and is big and physical. Way to go Travis, lets take him out.

While we are at it lets put 10 point Loui back in the top 6.

I really don’t think green commands the room. It’s why players walk all over him and take nights off.

He has different standards depending on age or seniority. There isn’t much internal competition because green doesn’t make the vets earn ice time on merit.

based on performance this year ( and last) guys like Schaller, beagle, and Eriksson have no reason being in the lineup. Meanwhile any young unproven player is given a short leash where it’s impossible to actually prove themselves. As a result we have a 4th line Center with 1 goal and a guy in our top 6 with 5 non empty net points this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad