Dear Michel Therrien,

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
I think the team has mostly stopped listening to Therrien. The turning point was the last game against Ottawa... they won that game basically without any input from the coach. We've scored 48 goals in those twelve games for a 4.0 clip .... in the 66 previous games we scored 159 goals for a 2.4 clip .... Vanek helps ... but is he really worth 1.6 goals a game particularly in a grinding system. I'm not saying we can do that over an 82 game season, but it's clear that we should not be a grinding team. Hard working yes. Hard on the puck yes. By insisting on grinding you take inventiveness away from players and tire them out when playing against larger teams. Keep Therrien around for his informative pressers .... get a coach who knows what to do with the talent we have. Unleash PK and we'll probably get .5 - 1 more goals per game and give up .25 - .5 more goals per game .... fair trade I say.

Nov 6, 2007
I think the team has mostly stopped listening to Therrien. The turning point was the last game against Ottawa... they won that game basically without any input from the coach.

Yup, the Habs went down 3 goals within the first 6 minutes. And the coach did nothing to adjust and we lost the game 6-0. Oh, wait...

.... get a coach who knows what to do with the talent we have.

We're in 3rd place. 3rd place! But you're absolutely right: With talent like Briere, Gionta, Murray, Boullion, Bourque, Bournival, Eller we should probably be in 6th.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005

Retired NHL Ds and ex-coaches that are plastered across various sports talk shows also seem to like it that Subban is playing with Bouillon, given the current state of our D.

They'd have to be plastered to like that pairing. ;)

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
It's OK to request and earn 9 million per year, more than anyone else, but he also needs to be with a top D to help him defensively ? Is that the logic here ?

Most here keep *****ing about Desharnais needing Pacioretty to produce but now you're making a case for Subban absolutely needing a top D as being normal to be effective defensively....hmmmm.....

No. But he needs to be paired with an NHL defenceman, not a guy like Bouillion. C'mon.

DD NEEDS the 2 best wingers on the team. PK needs a competent Dman with him.

Varlan

Nov 26, 2009
Yup, the Habs went down 3 goals within the first 6 minutes. And the coach did nothing to adjust and we lost the game 6-0. Oh, wait...

We're in 3rd place. 3rd place! But you're absolutely right: With talent like Briere, Gionta, Murray, Boullion, Bourque, Bournival, Eller we should probably be in 6th.

You can't watch Montreal play, and be happy with the way they are winning games? can you?

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
I think people are grasping at straws. PK had a bad game, not the end of the world.

Both he and Bouillon had very good games after Gorges went down. Any 7-8 mil a year player shouldn't suddenly lose their game playing with a guy like Bouillon.

When PK has a bad game, the whole world knows it. Why? Because the dumb coach either benches him in dramatic fashion or makes a silly comment. Meanwhile other players make mistakes and get more ice time or praise. Therrien is a pinhead, plain and simple. We all knew he didn't like PK from his AC days so it's no suprrise he's a complete clown with him now. The media throws soft ball questions at MT to say something nice about PK. He refuses...but has no issue falling over himself to praise other players. You don't pull this **** with one of the cornerstones of your franchise.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
You can't watch Montreal play, and be happy with the way they are winning games? can you?

My theory, years of mediocrity have altered the expectation levels for the team. Similarly, perhaps having no star talent skaters for so long has people not realizing the worth of guys like Subban.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
I agree with Lafleur that progression of players is key but many on this site would like to have a name like Mike Smith.If therrien were to win a cup this year many of you will be crying-where is my anglo coach

I would put my life on the line... MT will never win a cup. Never.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
My theory, years of mediocrity have altered the expectation levels for the team. Similarly, perhaps having no star talent skaters for so long has people not realizing the worth of guys like Subban.

Yep. Habs fans haven't experienced a team that actually dictates the play and plays playoff winning hockey that they're happy with the way this team plays and the way it is run. It's normal. You see the same with Leafs fans and other fans of teams that have been crap for a long time.

Last edited:

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC

OK smartass. Therrien thinks we win playing a grinding game, it's what he preaches. Please tell me what adjustments he made last night that had anything to do with his preferred style of play. The only move he made was benching Subban.

In third in the division, yup, impressive. 3 weeks ago we were in a funk and losing games. Pulled out the Ottawa win, where Therrien admitted he checked out, in other words stopped coaching. A winning streak puts us solidly in the playoffs and hopefully home ice for at least one series. I'm saying Therrien has had **** all to do with it. It's the players.

Therrien was completely unable last spring to adjust to what Ottawa was doing. There have been a number of games this year where he's not been able to adjust.... he's just kept preaching the same crap. I'm saying the players have tuned him out and are playing for themselves. When they get down, they open it up, the proof is right in front of you.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We were outshot at a rate of 2-1. 43-23 was the final number. And at one point in the 2nd period we were being outshot at a rate of almost 3-1.

We scored 7 goals on 23 shots. Yeah, what a ****ing great job MT did adjusting to the play...

Why is he playing Bouillion and Murray? Why is Bouillion on the PP? Play somebody ELSE. Its not that hard to figure out.
Would you rather be happy with how they were losing games?

A win, is a win. Doesn't matter a damn how you do it.
Of course it does! Esp if you're evaluating a coach. WTF wouldn't it matter????

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Extend MT NOW! 5 year deal!

quiet_you_picard.jpg

:rant:

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
Therien's system is actually pretty offensively minded. More than most teams.

And it seems to be working since both our forwards and dmen are below average imo, and we're 3rd in the east.

:yo:Amen. And, to all his critics who said that he couldn't make in-game adjustments, ahem, look at the last two games vs Ottawa, the last Toronto game and tonight's game vs Detroit. Therrien 2.0 is a slightly different coach.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Like I said before, Therrien is a solid old school coach but not a great one. At his age, you learn a few tricks and you stick by them. But he lacks foresight, intelligence and he's as stubborn as a mule. Cause of that, he'll never win the cup.

I go back to the whole Gillis-Tortorella talks with the media recently. Gillis went on a tear about the fall of the Nucks being that they forgot who they were and stopped being a puck-possession team. When Torto took the mic he agreed saying that "because the Nucks had injuries, we had to play safe and play a more defensive style but it's my fault. Cause I had them keep playing that way after the return of the injured players". So basically Torto showed how closed minded and stubborn he was, it was easy for him to make them play this way so he did. Nevermind that they were a better team playing the other way. Hell he was stubborn enough to not have them play puck-possession even when it was easy to see that their team couldn't play dump and chase and they kept losing.

So I go back to Therrien and how dominant the players were last year by playing a puck possession game and then they go to the playoffs, they play defensive trapping hockey and they get beat. It didn't work yet MT had them play like all year this year. I don't even understand how they won games this year, it's been a mess. And recently it's been basically the first line saving his butt. The change to play that mess of a style, has cost the season(possibly career) of Diaz, Subban, Eller, Chucky, Bork, Emelin in my opinion. They have seemed completly lost. Even Bork he seemed reenergized playing a puck-possession game last year and he caught the malaise of the new "style" this year. Why would MT do that? Cause like Torto, he's close-minded, stubborn, he's scared to lose. Nevermind that it damaged the developement of key guys. He's like a thug that prefers using a magnum instead of a baretta cause "he knows more about the magnum" even if his gang risk of being blown to bits by guys using higher technology.

It's not brain surgery why the Bell Centre crowd has been mild this year. The fans sees this, they have not liked what they see, it's a mess to watch and they only cheer when goals are scored. Most of the time this year crowds have felt like when Cunneyworth coached. Still, I understand why Bergevin let his coach do what he wants(cause it's the professional way to do it), but I think he would need what Gillis has said to the press, MB needs to go to Therrien and say enough is enough of the monkey business and coach a puck-possession game so that talented players can flourish offensively. Esp. Subban. This style is killing him, it's like they put mines under his chariot and exploded his wheels. You're not gonna pay 8 million for half a machine, right.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Like I said before, Therrien is a solid old school coach but not a great one. At his age, you learn a few tricks and you stick by them. But he lacks foresight, intelligence and he's as stubborn as a mule. Cause of that, he'll never win the cup.

I go back to the whole Gillis-Tortorella talks with the media recently. Gillis went on a tear about the fall of the Nucks being that they forgot who they were and stopped being a puck-possession team. When Torto took the mic he agreed saying that "because the Nucks had injuries, we had to play safe and play a more defensive style but it's my fault. Cause I had them keep playing that way after the return of the injured players". So basically Torto showed how closed minded and stubborn he was, it was easy for him to make them play this way so he did. Nevermind that they were a better team playing the other way. Hell he was stubborn enough to not have them play puck-possession even when it was easy to see that their team couldn't play dump and chase and they kept losing.

So I go back to Therrien and how dominant the players were last year by playing a puck possession game and then they go to the playoffs, they play defensive trapping hockey and they get beat. It didn't work yet MT had them play like all year this year. I don't even understand how they won games this year, it's been a mess. And recently it's been basically the first line saving his butt. The change to play that mess of a style, has cost the season(possibly career) of Diaz, Subban, Eller, Chucky, Bork, Emelin in my opinion. They have seemed completly lost. Even Bork he seemed reenergized playing a puck-possession game last year and he caught the malaise of the new "style" this year. Why would MT do that? Cause like Torto, he's close-minded, stubborn, he's scared to lose. Nevermind that it damaged the developement of key guys. He's like a thug that prefers using a magnum instead of a baretta cause "he knows more about the magnum" even if his gang risk of being blown to bits by guys using higher technology.

It's not brain surgery why the Bell Centre crowd has been mild this year. The fans sees this, they have not liked what they see, it's a mess to watch and they only cheer when goals are scored. Most of the time this year crowds have felt like when Cunneyworth coached. Still, I understand why Bergevin let his coach do what he wants(cause it's the professional way to do it), but I think he would need what Gillis has said to the press, MB needs to go to Therrien and say enough is enough of the monkey business and coach a puck-possession game so that talented players can flourish offensively. Esp. Subban. This style is killing him, it's like they put mines under his chariot and exploded his wheels. You're not gonna pay 8 million for half a machine, right.

You're wrong though.

The habs played off-the-rush attacking, and a swarm defense in the playoffs. The same system we rolled all last season - the same system that failed.

He changed it slightly the beginning of this season and then fully midway through the first mini-slump.

I don't disagree that his recent defensive system is lacking in tactical acumen but so are you if you think that our system changed LAST year when the playoffs and reg season were exactly identical.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I would put my life on the line... MT will never win a cup. Never.

:loony:

Even if your assessment of Therrien is right that he is an idiot, you do realize that Jean Perron won a cup, right?

If the impossible (according to you) does happen, I wouldn't want to remind you that you need to pay up on your debt. After all you're a Habs fan despite some of your ridiculous comments about Therrien & Bergevin.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Why is he playing Bouillion and Murray? Why is Bouillion on the PP? Play somebody ELSE. Its not that hard to figure out.

Seeing as you're speaking in one of our other official languages - Doubletalk - I think I should translate for those posters who don't understand what you just posted.

Why are the Habs winning and not losing. Why? They're not following my plan and yet they are still winning. Why? Why? Therrien you're making me look bad, like I don't know crap about hockey. Either stop winning or play my way and lose. At least you'll lose with style. The Lafleurs Guy's style.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Seeing as you're speaking in one of our other official languages - Doubletalk - I think I should translate for those posters who don't understand what you just posted.

Why are the Habs winning and not losing. Why? They're not following my plan and yet they are still winning. Why? Why? Therrien you're making me look bad, like I don't know crap about hockey. Either stop winning or play my way and lose. At least you'll lose with style. The Lafleurs Guy's style.
Its been answered for you several times. Goaltending.

Not sure why this is confusing for you. Not sure why you can't understand common sense. Our offense has sucked this year. Our defense has sucked this year. Our once lethal PP is now 17th! Our goaltending has been amazing. We're basically the Leafs only with a better defense and worse offense. We get outplayed and outshot consistently and we've got a good roster of players.

Playing Bouillion and Murray over Beaulieu and Tinordi is inexplicable. Playing Bouillion on the PP is inexplicable. Consistently benching your best blueliner and letting far inferior players consistently make mistakes with no accountability is inexplicable. This is not double talk. This is what's been happening with our team all year long.

But folks like you only look at the scoreboard. Forget the fact that we were pretty much outshot two to one over the past couple of games right? And forget the fact that we scored 7 freaking goals on something like 23 shots.... that to you is an indication that our coach is good?

Dude wake the **** up.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
:loony:

Even if your assessment of Therrien is right that he is an idiot, you do realize that Jean Perron won a cup, right?

If the impossible (according to you) does happen, I wouldn't want to remind you that you need to pay up on your debt. After all you're a Habs fan despite some of your ridiculous comments about Therrien & Bergevin.
Randy Carlyle won a cup too. So its possible to win with an idiot coach. But it sure doesn't help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad