Speculation: DEADLINE DALLAS: Dream Defenseman Destination? Discuss.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
This guy has had insight to Flyers deals before and is close with the team it seems

Seeler and Walker play together

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Cool- but the Flyers wouldn’t actually sell, right?

Seems they're still set on continuing to rebuild and both those guys contracts are up this season.

I saw they might still wanna re-sign them or Walker at least tho so idk. But based on that and the Scott Laughton rumors they're definitely sellers it appears

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Walker and Seeler don't seem like difference makers to me
I honestly wouldn’t gamble on any of the d-men from Philly. Torts runs a hybrid trap system where they forecheck hard until they get the lead and then switch to 1-3-1 to clog up the neutral zone. Remember when Bowness ran the show? We had a way worse d- core and a much more inexperienced Miro Heiskanen yet still won most games 2-1/3-2 playing low event hockey. Those systems make d-men look better than they are because they aren’t covering as much ice once they have the lead.

If you watch the Flyers you’ll notice they struggle a lot if they have to forecheck for too long. Start getting caught on odd-man rushes and they do not defend the rush well at all. That includes walker and seeler.

just gonna rehash this

Reactions: nuck

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I'd rather just move a first for Tanev then both Walker and Seeler. To be fair, I don't know much about Seeler though

Reactions: LT

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
So how much of the walker-seeler is the system they play in? Walker can move a puck and seeler blocks shot and hits.

But what happens to suter? I can’t see DeBoer wanting to move Hakanpaa. He loves putting him with Lindell. Does suter go the other way? Philly is a playoff team.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
So how much of the walker-seeler is the system they play in? Walker can move a puck and seeler blocks shot and hits.

But what happens to suter? I can’t see DeBoer wanting to move Hakanpaa. He loves putting him with Lindell. Does suter go the other way? Philly is a playoff team.
Suter ain’t moving. Way better shot at a cup here and he likes Dallas.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Canucks fan coming in peace. Any interest in a Pettersson trade in the off-season where he signs a new contract for around 8 x $12 mill?

Some ideas (feel free to shoot them down or make counter proposals)

Hintz + Stankoven
Johnston + Stankoven
Stankoven + Bourque + Bichsel

Dallas can include a cap dump in any of these to make them work.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Canucks fan coming in peace. Any interest in a Pettersson trade in the off-season where he signs a new contract for around 8 x $12 mill?

Hintz + Stankoven
Johnston + Stankoven

No.
Hell no.
Definitely not.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South

Hintz + Stankoven
Johnston + Stankoven

i guess every board has their skygodz.

why on earth would dallas do this?

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022

Hintz + Stankoven
Johnston + Stankoven

So you want Stankoven?

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
To try to win a Cup probably
by getting rid of 2 or 3 low cost, high output players for one mega cost, slightly higher output player.

perhaps that would be great if there were no salary cap and a need for 12 forwards, 6 defensemen, and a goalie.

we should really start keeping goals/points per dollar stats readily available.

Sports2

WDI
Jul 1, 2018

Hintz + Stankoven
Johnston + Stankoven

I don’t think Dallas has the depth to make a move for an upgrade from a Hintz, for instance. Pavelski is 39. Benn is 34. Marchment is a question mark beyond this season sans Duchene. I think they’re going to need at least Stankoven to remain competitive along with the current group which leaves them with not a lot to offer- though no doubt there are great packages out there to be put together. Pettersson is amazing.

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla

Hintz + Stankoven
Johnston + Stankoven

Petey is sick no doubt, I would probably try to make 2/3 blue chippers work with a 1st but the issue is we probably wouldn't offer him the money he can get from other teams on an extension, especially the rumored $12m/yr deal that's been supposedly offered.

Please don't take this personally, but we've seen this a lot from fans of teams like the canucks, sabres, etc. They think their player is better than hintz/heiskanen/whole dallas team because of regular season points. But when it comes to playoff success, their player/team has nothing to show for it. Then we hear the excuse Roope etc. plays with better players/depth and then point to Benn and Seguin lol.

Pettersson has 18 playoff points
Hintz is 1 shy of 50 playoff points.

You saying Hintz + Stankoven means you think Pettersson is that much more valuable than Hintz and a lot of us would disagree. Hintz was a lock for conn smythe in our last playoff run if we went the distance. Eichel only ended up with 2 more points than Hintz did by the end of the finals. He's an elite two-way C (albeit in an offensive slump no doubt) and with him locked in long term at $8.5m a year he's more valuable to us. If Pettersson really is worth that much more than Hintz, he should have no problem getting a team deeper in the playoffs. The value just doesn't add up for me.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Petey is sick no doubt, I would probably try to make 2/3 blue chippers work with a 1st but the issue is we probably wouldn't offer him the money he can get from other teams on an extension, especially the rumored $12m/yr deal that's been supposedly offered.

Please don't take this personally, but we've seen this a lot from fans of teams like the canucks, sabres, etc. They think their player is better than hintz/heiskanen/whole dallas team because of regular season points. But when it comes to playoff success, their player/team has nothing to show for it. Then we hear the excuse Roope etc. plays with better players/depth and then point to Benn and Seguin lol.

Pettersson has 18 playoff points
Hintz is 1 shy of 50 playoff points.

You saying Hintz + Stankoven means you think Pettersson is that much more valuable than Hintz and a lot of us would disagree. Hintz was a lock for conn smythe in our last playoff run if we went the distance. Eichel only ended up with 2 more points than Hintz did by the end of the finals. He's an elite two-way C (albeit in an offensive slump no doubt) and with him locked in long term at $8.5m a year he's more valuable to us. If Pettersson really is worth that much more than Hintz, he should have no problem getting a team deeper in the playoffs. The value just doesn't add up for me.
All fair points but I disagree on playoff success. Pettersson has played on some awful rosters with bad coaches (Travis Green) and management (Benning), it’s not his fault he only has 18 points. This year will be a good litmus test for how he can perform in the playoffs. Currently, all we know is that he was capable of going over a point per game in his sophomore season (a much higher clip than Hintz’ career playoff stats), and he was the MVP in the SHL playoffs in his draft+1 season. He certainly appears to be a player that can up his game for the playoffs.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Petterson doesn't really fix a need we have, we're right up there with Vancouver as one of the top scoring teams in the league. Great player, no doubt, but I wouldn't do any of your proposals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad