Post-Game Talk: DD starts Danault in OT, we lose again

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Man everyone not because you lose the faceoff OT mean you will lose OT. The puck shift multiple times. If we can't manage to breakout a 3v3 play or save a puck just to regain a possession just because we lost the faceoff is beyond dumb.

You should always send your best player out there. There is a reason why Winnipeg dont send d-man on OT because they all suck. Simple as that , they use the best stuff win or lose the faceoff.

Reactions: Gravity

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Danault isn't good at math. Passing it back to Price was best option instead of leaving Petry with three Jets ready to take off. LOL
It's not rocket science.... The Habs were even doing this back to last year or the year prior.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Ok there...let's pretend that Byron and Danault are better options then carry on...
petry is clearly a good option if winnepeg is going to go with three forwards.

of those more " talented" which ones are as good as dano and byron defensively ? or, is iw we but up our not as good best against their much better best and hope ?

that's the new plan ? put out your best players regardless of context and hope?

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
We see it often with other teams, I don't know why our players don't have the instinct of sending the puck back in our zone to Price which they can then line change and keep possession
Not compatible with the grinding philsophy of this team. Be smart like Rafalski? It's a one-way ticket OFF this team.

But slow pylons with puck over glass, icings, and fights where the player gets himself first? Sign them up long term.

Reactions: Tighthead

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Danault isn't good at math. Passing it back to Price was best option instead of leaving Petry with three Jets ready to take off. LOL

Why not? I don't see why they never do that.Price is good with passing and can handle a puck. Even way back when I played I'd do that if no options at times,surprised the shit out of the goalies at first:laugh:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
petry is clearly a good option if winnepeg is going to go with three forwards.

of those more " talented" which ones are as good as dano and byron defensively ? or, is iw we but up our not as good best against their much better best and hope ?

that's the new plan ? put out your best players regardless of context and hope?
How about play to win like the other team and not worry about how good they are defensively like the other team and maybe we win some OT games like the other team

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I think a distinction needs to be made in terms of this game vs. most games since DD has been named head coach.

Some posts are focusing on Byron and Danault having had no responsibility for the outcome of this game as if this somehow justifies their use in OT. Or even, how Danault having scored a goal in regular time, somehow now means that he should have been used in OT (maybe as a reward or on the theory that he's likely to score again).

This should be distinguished from general view suggested by several posts that defense-first players like Danault, should never be used in OT and how those deployed in OT should own scoring ability, good possession stats and speed -- with the coach favoring those players who possess all or most of these attributes.

That would be a rather paltry list though.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Every time we lose in OT it reminds me of John Carlson's golden goal against Canada at the 2010 WJC

If we don't score on our first chance, it's an odd-man rush coming back our way which usually goes in

Reactions: Gravity

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Their go to solution includes a guy who can't even get claimed on Waivers.. I don't have an answer.

That waiver allusion is not really founded since Byron is not being claimed on account of bloated contractual terms. If the guy was paid what he was worth on a short deal, he would have been claimed.

Regardless, I agree that his deployment in OT is sketch.

You can’t lose an OT without your best players having hit the ice.

Reactions: CrAzYNiNe

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That would be a rather paltry list though.

Paltry relative to some other teams? Sure. But use your best early and often — if you’re going to win or lose, it makes much more sense for them to be involved in the outcome.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Paltry relative to some other teams? Sure. But use your best early and often — if you’re going to win or lose, it makes much more sense for them to be involved in the outcome.

Habs list would be paltry,not many that are fleet of foot with the ability to handle the puck effectively.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Habs list would be paltry,not many that are fleet of foot with the ability to handle the puck effectively.

I don’t like their roster construction but it doesn’t change the fact that you can’t lose a game in OT without the Habs having deployed their best players.

Reactions: malcb33 and BLONG7

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
What's the value of winning a draw in OT when possession changes hands so often?

I really don't see what's the big deal with the opening draw, there's pretty no offense generated when the game is settled and everybody got his man in the D-zone.. I see this 3 on 3 OT more as a counter attacker game, that's when you can the get odd man rushes or breakaway, not by winning the opening faceoff.

Reactions: Runner77

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
How about play to win like the other team and not worry about how good they are defensively like the other team and maybe we win some OT games like the other team
We DID play to win, we had control and had a grade A chance before winnepeg had meaningful possession.

What you are complaining about is that hellebyuk stopped a great tip by petry, rather than letting it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad