Post-Game Talk: DD starts Danault in OT, we lose again

Status
Not open for further replies.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He never has perfect control of the puck.

That's what I don't get. How do people expect Petry to pass it back when he never controlled the puck?

It's also highly speculative to say he could have received the pass better if he never turned around, since I believe he would have been far from the puck had he not done so.

Reactions: Milhouse40

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
What Dom said yesterday can be applied, not only to the OTs, but also the games. This is team that was 'brought up' to get rid of the puck ASAP in the D-zone, and to create offence out of the rush.

Our young pups can play the puck control game. The others have had YEARS of brainwashing the other way, because Michou and Clode wanted production out of the rush.

It produces guys that panic in the D-zone when there is no puck support. And it takes over their game.

Players that have been playing here for a long time all suffer from this.

Watch KK and 14 play in their D-zone. Their mindset is to gain control first. But, because of what they were thaught under other regumes, they just seem to follow the others' beats once in a while and panic.

That's why I think it's important to bring guys from the outside. I don't want guys like Danault and Gallagher to teach them "how to play". Gallagher can mentor them in the mental aspect or whatever, keep him far from KK and Suzuki on the gameplay perspective.

People wonder why our new additions perform better (think Tatar at first, Toffoli, Anderson, Perry), they don't just "dump and chase".

Reactions: dinodebino

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Seriously? KK has superior offensive talent. Not talking production. And this isn't about just tonight. Danault was good but he's not the same player in a 3v3 situation.

I'm not saying that KK won't become the best offensive player (pretty sure he will). But right now, his offensive production is not better than Danault. Both players have the same amount of points per 60 minutes. But that's with KK spending 2 minutes per game on the power play. And with KK being sheltered and Danault taking most of his faceoffs in the defensive zone.

DANAULT
Offensive zone faceoffs : 109
Defensive zone faceoffs : 229

KK
Offensive zone faceoffs : 132
Defensive zone faceoffs : 87

Normally with those numbers, KK should have much numbers than Danault per 60 minutes. But it's currently not the case.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Starting Danault in OT makes sense only when you consider the importance of winning that first draw. Ideally you just maintain possession.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Petry just had to dump it back to Price. What's the f***ing point of having one of the best stickhandling (and high paid) goalies if you won't use him in OT ? But Petry decided to try and play keepaway in the middle of the offensive zone during a line change. Bad decision. It happens. He's still our most impactful skater atm imo

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I'm not saying that KK won't become the best offensive player (pretty sure he will). But right now, his offensive production is not better than Danault. Both players have the same amount of points per 60 minutes. But that's with KK spending 2 minutes per game on the power play. And with KK being sheltered and Danault taking most of his faceoffs in the defensive zone.

DANAULT

KK

Normally with those numbers, KK should have much numbers than Danault per 60 minutes. But it's currently not the case.
What is Danault's points per 5 mins of OT time?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

DANAULT

KK

Some good points.........up until recently KK had Armia and Leks and Danault has had Tatar and Gally.....something to consider.
KK is 20 yrs of age, and Danault is 27? Something else to consider.
KK has played around 2 minutes less per game.....another consideration.
On the whole, most will say KK has been building towards a much better finish than start......we can only hope Phil can do that too!! Last night was his best game, outside of the OT brain cramp on a bad line change.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Start OT assuming you're going to lose the faceoff, that way Danault will never see the light of day (or shouldn't, but you know... DD...).

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Problem is the team has too many 1 point games and will keep dropping in the standings. I was so happy to see that comeback and the late goal with the goalie pulled...then the ole get a good chance on offence only to have the team come back and score on you...ouch
There's no 3-on-3 in the playoffs so as long as we get there, I like our odds. How many 2 goal comebacks have we had so far this season? This team has proven itself to very hardworking and resilient. It's just the gimmicky B.S. that's screwing us. We have depth, but we don't have the high-end talent to win 3-on-3.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I obviously didn't say that since he had a good pass, it shows why he should start all the OT's. I said that if there was ONE game where we shouldn't blame him, it was last night. Like a world of difference.

And yes, I think that my lines suggest that I'm going with my best scorers. Though I do comeback with DAnault but if you think rolling 2 sets of 3 hoping we score in the first 2 minutes, fine with me too. Just that if we don't, as great as they are, you might see them being unable to skate at one point....
I dont blame him, I look at the coach. It's dumb as heck to go with the combined firepower of 4 goals up front to start the OT.
I also can't let go of the fact we had a waiver player start the OT...
If he had scored 3 goals then alright, but ffs man.
Turned into one chance, cool, we lost. If we start with Toffoli and Anderson, maybe we carry the play for 3 min and score.
You want to put all the odds in your corner, you don't achieve this with Danault-Byron.
What happened is actually the opposite of why they were started, ie win the faceoff and/or change when you get possession after smart defending.
Instead, we lose the draw, get it back, push forward for a scoring chance and then get caught on a 1-3...lolll What a strategy!

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
KK has been as good, maybe better than Dano at faceoffs lately, and OT is not a race, you don't need speed, you need brains; something that's sorely lacking in our coaches. Why not use Price as an extra attacker? There's no reason he couldn't skate up the ice with the puck half-way to the blue line and pass it off before retuning to his net. He's a better puck handler than half our D squad.

Last edited:

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
you can get the extra point in overtime by scoring or preventing the other team from scoring. The idea that we simply abandon any matchup and say we are going to put our best line out there against their best line and hope for the best is not much of a strategy. espcially on teams that are better than us offensively.

And we have had very poor outcomes in overtime, but last night was not like 5 or so of the the other 7. I will take getting possesion of the puck and an attempt like petry's before they ever have any real posession every time.
You can't get the extra point by preventing the other team from scoring. If nobody scores it goes to the shootout which is also a coin toss. You need to score to end it. The defensive matchup idea does not work, even if you gain possession who's going to score? Defensive matchup schemes just don't work out 3 on 3. There's too much time and space for elite players.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
douin, he of 2 goals ( the same as danault) how did he get grouped into our best offensive players ?
is it because of where he was drafted a million years ago ?

I guess with only three opposing players, its harder to stickhandle into them. Harder, but not impossible.
Ok there...let's pretend that Byron and Danault are better options then carry on...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Because it's really easy to point the finger at DD for starting Byron and Danault but their individual contributions to this goal are negligible I feel. Byron even goes for a change (albeit he stays on for a rush first when he should be off the ice the minute we have possession).

I think a distinction needs to be made in terms of this game vs. most games since DD has been named head coach.

Some posts are focusing on Byron and Danault having had no responsibility for the outcome of this game as if this somehow justifies their use in OT. Or even, how Danault having scored a goal in regular time, somehow now means that he should have been used in OT (maybe as a reward or on the theory that he's likely to score again).

This should be distinguished from general view suggested by several posts that defense-first players like Danault, should never be used in OT and how those deployed in OT should own scoring ability, good possession stats and speed -- with the coach favoring those players who possess all or most of these attributes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad