Post-Game Talk: DD starts Danault in OT, we lose again

Status
Not open for further replies.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Only saw the highlight OT goal. Looked like a dumass line change. These OT losses are becoming a thing but in this case I'm just glad they made it to OT. If CD would have this OT thing mastered his record would be pretty stellar. C'mon CD, may you gain your first OT win at some point. LOL

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
You can hear him beavertailing calling for the puck off camera and instead of making the safe play and playing it back to Carey he trys to turn back toward the net and loses possession. There's an argument for sure that Danault should have just looked him off and played it back himself but he was being watched pretty closely by 2 Jets and made the pass that was available to a teammate that was open.

Ahhh I did not know about the sound. Still he never got control though, how could he have made that pass to Price? I'm debating irrelevant stuff though because I guess we all agree that it was a bad sequence all around.

There's also a case to be made to praise the Jets players on being so aggressive, since Danault was watched by 2 Jets and after passing the puck across the ice to Petry, he himself is surrounded by 3 Jets.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
We simply lack the talent to be effective in 3 on 3, it is not surprising they suck at it. It is a shame because if we had won half of our OT games and won our next game, we'd be tie with the Leafs in 1st.

- Suzuki/Kotkaniemi will get better, but right now their speed limits them at 3 on 3.
- 3 of our top point scoring wingers are Toffoli, Gallagher and Tatar who also aren't known for their speed which limits them in OT. Guys like Anderson, Drouin and Byron have speed but have shown next to nothing in OT this year.
- On we have Petry who can skate, aside from rookie Romanov there are no other D who should see the ice in OT.

We were effective in OT in the past as we had guys like Pacioretty, Domi and Byron up front who could make plays offensively in OT due to their speed, now Domi/Patch are gone and Byron has severely declined.

We've never been effective in OT. This year is insane but we've always been the or among the worst teams in the league in OT.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Only saw the highlight OT goal. Looked like a dumass line change. These OT losses are becoming a thing but in this case I'm just glad they made it to OT. If CD would have this OT thing mastered his record would be pretty stellar. C'mon CD, may you gain your first OT win at some point. LOL
Who’s CD? Claude Ducharme?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
If last night was an indicator that the Danault line will be more of a force than anytime this season...it’s a very good sign.

Habs absolutely dominated the Jets in the 3rd, entire period was 5-on-5.

Both Danault and Tatar played like they suddenly realized they're about to get pay cuts not pay raises in free agency if they don't get their f***ing asses in gear and start meaningfully contributing.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Better chance of getting a goal than the aforementioned strategy which is tried and true for a 0-8 record.

you can get the extra point in overtime by scoring or preventing the other team from scoring. The idea that we simply abandon any matchup and say we are going to put our best line out there against their best line and hope for the best is not much of a strategy. espcially on teams that are better than us offensively.

And we have had very poor outcomes in overtime, but last night was not like 5 or so of the the other 7. I will take getting possesion of the puck and an attempt like petry's before they ever have any real posession every time.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I am far being a usual glass half full.
But i watch the games and i se huge improvement, something i did not see during most of MB tenure.
however I know it is more popular for all here to beat the same drums and miss the improvements the team made since fraude firing

I agree the team dramatic improvements in a lot of areas including PP. I like his system better too. Players have been inconsistent in their efforts.

Reactions: tazsub3

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Byron is fast...so what? He is not a good playmaker and doesn't exactly have the best habs or shot...so wtf? Danault played a good game fine but I agree with you that it should be your best OFFENSIVE players. There are at least 6 better players that should have been on the ice in OT, pick 2 from the below list:

Toffoli
Anderson
Drouin
Gallagher
Tatar
Suzuki
KK
even Armia...

It's just mind boggling, the other team iced 3 forwards FFS!!!! Think they get it or what?

douin, he of 2 goals ( the same as danault) how did he get grouped into our best offensive players ?
is it because of where he was drafted a million years ago ?

I guess with only three opposing players, its harder to stickhandle into them. Harder, but not impossible.

clarke19

Feb 1, 2008
Ahhh I did not know about the sound. Still he never got control though, how could he have made that pass to Price? I'm debating irrelevant stuff though because I guess we all agree that it was a bad sequence all around.

There's also a case to be made to praise the Jets players on being so aggressive, since Danault was watched by 2 Jets and after passing the puck across the ice to Petry, he himself is surrounded by 3 Jets.

This is where it you enter a grey area because you wonder what was going through Petrys mind, but the pass was handleable, he only bungled it when he tried to take it while simultaneously turning toward the net to attack. If he had received the pass with intention to skate it back or play it to Carey while the change was completed I don't think he has trouble getting control over it. It's all hearsay though.

I've watched the 4:45 to 4:52 segment of this video about 15 times today trying to get my head around it. Because it's really easy to point the finger at DD for starting Byron and Danault but their individual contributions to this goal are negligible I feel. Byron even goes for a change (albeit he stays on for a rush first when he should be off the ice the minute we have possession).

Reactions: tazsub3 and abo9

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
So far, KK's superior offense has made him collect 2 more points than Danault this season, and that's with a lot of PP time.

Danault is by far the best faceoff guy. He was also the best player tonight. 99% of NHL coaches would start him on 3 on 3.

People here just blinded by hatred and by the shiny new toys.
Seriously? KK has superior offensive talent. Not talking production. And this isn't about just tonight. Danault was good but he's not the same player in a 3v3 situation.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Ducks fan here

How has Perry been for you guys? I see he has some decent stats.
Miss him in Anaheim for sure
he's been the cat's meow and unlike toffolli ( who is killing it) what he brings looks exactly like what we had hoped for and seems entirely sustainable.
he's old and slow but we knew that going in, he's succeeding despite those two things.

he still had hands, he could stickhandle in a phonebooth and he still goes to the dirty parts of the ice.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
This is where it you enter a grey area because you wonder what was going through Petrys mind, but the pass was handleable, he only bungled it when he tried to take it while simultaneously turning toward the net to attack. If he had received the pass with intention to skate it back or play it to Carey while the change was completed I don't think he has trouble getting control over it. It's all hearsay though.

I've watched the 4:45 to 4:52 segment of this video about 15 times today trying to get my head around it. Because it's really easy to point the finger at DD for starting Byron and Danault but their individual contributions to this goal are negligible I feel. Byron even goes for a change (albeit he stays on for a rush first when he should be off the ice the minute we have possession).

I can't believe how bad Gallagher can be. Two goals directly from a Gallagher turnover because he sucks bag taking a pass

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Seriously? KK has superior offensive talent. Not talking production. And this isn't about just tonight. Danault was good but he's not the same player in a 3v3 situation.

Danault is not the same player every time the stakes are high. It's the same in playoffs even at 5v5. He's not the guy we should send on the ice ever when we need a goal to win now no matter what the situation is.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I can't believe how bad Gallagher can be. Two goals directly from a Gallagher turnover because he sucks bag taking a pass

That was on the entire line including the D. You can't have your back to your defense and receive a pass no forward was an option for Petry. He either needs to turn back or eat the puck so the forwards circle back or flip it out alley oop style. TBF he was in tight quarters so I don't think he could turn back.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't get why people defend Danault on that goal. He has more than enough space to return the puck back to the guy defending before going to the bench. The pass was fine but before going to the bench he should have checked to see if Petry received the pass well. Petry never was in control of the puck so going to the bench was a mistake.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

What catches me off-guard is the complain about him "wanting to deke 3 Jets". Obviously his mishandling of the puck led to that situation, but he would have been alone with the goalie, maybe a D if he caught the puck correctly.

And it's tough to judge but he had to skate back fast and the pass was too far behind by the time it reached him so I don't think he could have caught it on the way back to the D-zone (which is a moot point because he clearly went back in offense mode).

Not to be harsh on Danault, but he threw a grenade to Petry, Petry mishandled it and it exploded in his face.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
It would not of went in... but that's beside the point

Calling that Ehler's shot a "simple shot" or an easy save is as ridiculous as pinning the loss on Danault for being on the ice

I dont get the hate on Ehlers goal... 3 v 1. He had the puck from his own zone, he skated up the ice, took speed, momentum, Price had to play the pass too

He is the least to blame for that OT fiasco.

From Petry stupid, play, to Drouin slow changeup, anyway its OT we stand no chance.

Reactions: abo9

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
That was on the entire line including the D. You can't have your back to your defense and receive a pass no forward was an option for Petry. He either needs to turn back or eat the puck so the forwards circle back or flip it out alley oop style. TBF he was in tight quarters so I don't think he could turn back.

I mean, the first thing we learned in bantam was keep your back to the wall, ALWAYS in the defensive zone.. I agree it was a combination of things, but he has been very week on the wall lately and just taking a pass under pressure. I don't understand why the team is panicking so much in their own end lately. The will have a clear breakout and then circle back , like they are the Harlem Globetrotters of hockey, and then cough up the puck in their own zone again. Byron did that a couple times last night, so did Gallagher.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
It was good getting 3/4 points but man, it is so frustrating . It was a dumb play by petry there but would have been nice to get a save too . As soon as Winnipeg gets the puck they score .

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
What Dom said yesterday can be applied, not only to the OTs, but also the games. This is team that was 'brought up' to get rid of the puck ASAP in the D-zone, and to create offence out of the rush.

Our young pups can play the puck control game. The others have had YEARS of brainwashing the other way, because Michou and Clode wanted production out of the rush.

It produces guys that panic in the D-zone when there is no puck support. And it takes over their game.

Players that have been playing here for a long time all suffer from this.

Watch KK and 14 play in their D-zone. Their mindset is to gain control first. But, because of what they were thaught under other regumes, they just seem to follow the others' beats once in a while and panic.
In agreement. And this is an important part of development. If you get in this habit and stop using the creative side of your brain, you end in panic mode.

They want d responsible players, system guys, but forget that its often the creative plays that can get you out of hot water. Subban with a flip as an example. More interesting is seeing skilled players that come to montreal without thorough conditioning. Perry, toff and anderson all look for other options. They arent stuck in the "playing not to lose" mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad