Post-Game Talk: DD starts Danault in OT, we lose again

Status
Not open for further replies.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
We had 9 OT losses in 71 games last season.

We have 8 in 29 games so far :laugh::biglaugh:

So nearly 1/3 of our games are OT losses lmao

The overtime stat is truly mind-boggling, but it also really sums up how this team has performed so far.

Just think if the team won half of those games (an extra 4 points) they'd be tied with Winnipeg and would be "contenders" for the division instead of people starting rebuild threads.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I really don't see what's the big deal with the opening draw, there's pretty no offense generated when the game is settled and everybody got his man in the D-zone.. I see this 3 on 3 OT more as a counter attacker game, that's when you can the get odd man rushes or breakaway, not by winning the opening faceoff.
With only one defenceman ( Petry) who has the mobility to play 3 on 3, the team should use three forwards after Petry's first shift and three forwards until Petry is ready to go again. The lack of viable options for the team in overtime, really exposes the false notion that Montreal is somehow a fast team.

Reactions: JAVO16

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
How about play to win like the other team and not worry about how good they are defensively like the other team and maybe we win some OT games like the other team
So we expect to win most games against teams less offensively talented than we are and lose to teams more people offensively talented than we are.

Who, precisely, is worse than us offensively in the north?

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
So we expect to win most games against teams less offensively talented than we are and lose to teams more people offensively talented than we are.

Who, precisely, is worse than us offensively in the north?

Ottawa, Vancouver and Calgary

but they lost against Ottawa once.

3 games losses against Winnipeg.
1 loss against Toronto
2 SO losses against Vancouver
1 SO loss against Ottawa

Checking stats further:

Habs are:
2-1-3 against Winnipeg
5-0-2 against Vancouver
1-2-1 against Toronto
2-1-2 against Ottawa
2-1-0 against Edmonton
1-3-0 against Calgary

We're playing the last 2 games against Vancouver this weekend.
:help:

WG

Sep 9, 2008

1 loss against Toronto
1 SO loss against Ottawa

Checking stats further:

Habs are:
2-1-3 against Winnipeg
5-0-2 against Vancouver
1-2-1 against Toronto
2-1-2 against Ottawa
2-1-0 against Edmonton
1-3-0 against Calgary

In the NVHL (No Vancouver Hockey League) the Habs are a .500 team, right where they were last year when they were a shoo in to miss the playoffs but for a once in a lifetime global crisis. Eight wins in 22 non-Vancouver games this year against a pretty pedestrian Canadian division.

Reactions: ArtPeur

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
With only one defenceman ( Petry) who has the mobility to play 3 on 3, the team should use three forwards after Petry's first shift and three forwards until Petry is ready to go again. The lack of viable options for the team in overtime, really exposes the false notion that Montreal is somehow a fast team.
I'd throw out KK, Toffoli and Romanov to start. Save Petry for the second shift with Gally and Anderson. Suzuki with Drouin and Weber and that's all.

Reactions: Surfer72

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
We DID play to win, we had control and had a grade A chance before winnepeg had meaningful possession.

What you are complaining about is that hellebyuk stopped a great tip by petry, rather than letting it in.
Did you type that with a straight face?

Seriously you couldn’t select 2 forwards with less goals than Byron and Danault on the roster

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I'd throw out KK, Toffoli and Romanov to start. Save Petry for the second shift with Gally and Anderson. Suzuki with Drouin and Weber and that's all.
Honestly I’d rather have Danault out there as a “defensive forward” rather than Webber in 3 on 3.

Reactions: peate

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

1 loss against Toronto
1 SO loss against Ottawa

Checking stats further:

Habs are:
2-1-3 against Winnipeg
5-0-2 against Vancouver
1-2-1 against Toronto
2-1-2 against Ottawa
2-1-0 against Edmonton
1-3-0 against Calgary

Vancouver is weird in that they have the talent to score goals but their defense awareness is completely lacking.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
That waiver allusion is not really founded since Byron is not being claimed on account of bloated contractual terms. If the guy was paid what he was worth on a short deal, he would have been claimed.

Regardless, I agree that his deployment in OT is sketch.

You can’t lose an OT without your best players having hit the ice.

Agreed about Byron while at the same time totally ignorant to why he gets on the ice in OT in a game that had one line do a lot of the work. Danault absolutely deserves to be out there. But why Byron? I’m tired of this team always coaching safe. It just goes to show that the coach doesn’t trust his best players. It’s a sad continuous reality that we have to endure.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
This is why I don’t understand why he isn’t paired with Romanov. That kid can do so much to help protect Weber.
We need a good partner for Petry, someone to play LD next to him on the top pair. Weber needs to be second pairing from here on in and I don't think that what I am saying has anything to do with my like or dislike of any player. He is simply not aging well.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I don’t like their roster construction but it doesn’t change the fact that you can’t lose a game in OT without the Habs having deployed their best players.

Not contesting that, was curious whom those players are and best suited for OT as you can have different schools of thought how it can be approached. Hockey is suppose to be a team sport, 3 on 3 essentially voids that and turns it into a superior individual contest and the Habs do not have the same level of quality players others teams have.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Did you type that with a straight face?

Seriously you couldn’t select 2 forwards with less goals than Byron and Danault on the roster

We got possession off the drop and had a grade A chance ( Petry's tip) that they then went 3-1 to score.
that puck moves 2 inches in any direction off petry's stick and everyone says what a great come from behind win this was.

Reactions: swimmer77

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
petry is clearly a good option if winnepeg is going to go with three forwards.

of those more " talented" which ones are as good as dano and byron defensively ? or, is iw we but up our not as good best against their much better best and hope ?

that's the new plan ? put out your best players regardless of context and hope?
At this point yes. I agree with Petry being out there for sure btw...no issues there. Look at the results in OT this year following that strategy. Is it working? NO. it is 3 on 3 why are we focused on defense? Look, we are focusing on defense and we are losing anyways...I mean c'mon now, at least try it for god's sake. You can't tell me you are ok with this continued approach - 3 on 3 is basically pond hockey, let's not over think this...as I mentioned, the other team tossed out 3 forwards-yes they are better than anything we have offensively basically BUT they weren't thinking defense AT ALL now were they?

That's all I am sayin'...a new approach is needed...can't get any worse.

Reactions: BLONG7

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
We got possession off the drop and had a grade A chance ( Petry's tip) that they then went 3-1 to score.
that puck moves 2 inches in any direction off petry's stick and everyone says what a great come from behind win this was.
Life Lesson 101

Good Decision = Good Result 90% of the time (Intelligence)
Bad Decision = Bad Result 90% of the time (Stupidity)
Good Decision = Bad Result 10% of the time (Bad Luck)
Bad Decision = Good Result 10% of the time (Good Luck)

If we had of won it would’ve been good luck but we lost so it was stupidity, statistically we had a 10% chance to win with that trio starting.

OT was a microcosm of the last 25 years of the Habs philosophy, 1/2 pregnant. We started 2/3rds of our PK unit with our top offensive D man against the Jets top PP unit. Anderson/Toffoli should’ve been on the ice.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We need a good partner for Petry, someone to play LD next to him on the top pair. Weber needs to be second pairing from here on in and I don't think that what I am saying has anything to do with my like or dislike of any player. He is simply not aging well.
I would push Weber down to the 2nd pairing with Eddy, and put Romanov with Petry as the #1 pairing....

Reactions: OldCraig71

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
At this point yes. I agree with Petry being out there for sure btw...no issues there. Look at the results in OT this year following that strategy. Is it working? NO. it is 3 on 3 why are we focused on defense? Look, we are focusing on defense and we are losing anyways...I mean c'mon now, at least try it for god's sake. You can't tell me you are ok with this continued approach - 3 on 3 is basically pond hockey, let's not over think this...as I mentioned, the other team tossed out 3 forwards-yes they are better than anything we have offensively basically BUT they weren't thinking defense AT ALL now were they?

That's all I am sayin'...a new approach is needed...can't get any worse.
Our philosophy in OT has produced ZERO results..............everything about it, has to change! To start an OT with Byron and Danault, and have all of our best offensive players on the bench, Petry notwithstanding, is just wrong on so many levels.
At least try to WIN the extra point, and if you lose at least you can say we tried to WIN.

Reactions: Yoor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad