Prospect Info: Dawson Mercer (#18 pick - 2020 draft)

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Yeah I think this kid is going to be an impact player

High hopes would be an understatement, can't wait

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Posted this in the general NCAA, CHL, Euro prospects thread but thought it would be good to share here too. Here's his shift-by-shift from Chicoutimi's win over Québec on Monday, 5/10:

It may just be the number he's wearing but I get some pretty significant Toews vibes from his play. Regardless of where he ends up playing - Center or Wing - this kid is going to be really good.

This is a tremendous video. Thanks for taking the time to make and post these.

Reactions: thethinglonger

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Yeah super pumped about him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he pushes for a spot on the team. Moreso than I have faith in holtz, and I really like holtz too.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Mercer is a talent that can play the fourth line and not feel left out or be out of sync for the style theyd play

I think he makes the team in camp; but the team may also just tell him to get a year or less in the A first

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Again, with prospects, it's not really the sum of their past or how they started that matters. It's where they are at the end. Look back at Smith. He was pretty mediocre during the first part of his final WHL season. He was roughly at a PPG pace. Then he went to the WJC where he was good but not great. Then he returned to the WHL. Something just clicked. Over the final how ever many games, he jumped from a roughly 70 point pace to an over 100 points pace and was just dominating games. You can almost go back in his game logs and see where the light came on and he's been great since then. Mercer is sort of the same thing to me. Post WJC he just turned it up another notch and went from roughly a 1 PPG pace to roughly a 2 PPG pace and then he kept that up in the playoffs. Winning a top defensive forward award is a wrinkle that just suggests if the effort stays where it was down the stretch he should turn into a very good NHL player with time. I'm not sure if he will step in as Jack's right wing next year but that would be a heck of a pairing if he could make the jump successfully.

Reactions: Guadana

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
I mean I would prefer parise 2.0 minus the bolting away.

Parise was good for 70 points in his prime and his best seasons he hit 94 and 82, I’m not going to expect that of Mercer, especially given he’s going to be behind Jack and Nico and most likely used in a shutdown role. Give me 40-50 and great defense and I’m more than pleased.

Also keep in mind we had to rely on Zajac as our 1C because we had no other options, Mercer won’t have to be burdened with that because we’ll have two guys way more suited for it. If he exceeds expectations than all the better but I’ll temper them for now.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Parise was good for 70 points in his prime and his best seasons he hit 94 and 82, I’m not going to expect that of Mercer, especially given he’s going to be behind Jack and Nico and most likely used in a shutdown role. Give me 40-50 and great defense and I’m more than pleased.
Mercer wont play center most likely

A defensively strong winger is best; his game doesnt revolve around the center of the ice either, he very much is a willing participant in board play and the half-walls

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I'm getting Patrice Cormier vibes from Mercer. In the sense that he seems like a good leader (Cormier was captain for Canada's WJC team back in the day I believe, and also in the Q), and has great defensive abilities.

I think Mercer is truly a better prospect than Cormier was, just similar vibes/player type. Dawson is way better offensively obviously, and probably a less impulsive player. Cormier had some pretty dirty plays.

I remember I was really hyped about Cormier at some point, seemed like he would be a good 2-way guy for us.

I have a lot of faith in Mercer, and although I love Holtz a whole lot and feel he'll be a 30-40 goal scorer for us, I feel like Mercer is more of a "sure shot" to reach his potential.

Reactions: Oneiro

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I'm getting Patrice Cormier vibes from Mercer. In the sense that he seems like a good leader (Cormier was captain for Canada's WJC team back in the day I believe, and also in the Q), and has great defensive abilities.

I think Mercer is truly a better prospect than Cormier was, just similar vibes/player type. Dawson is way better offensively obviously, and probably a less impulsive player. Cormier had some pretty dirty plays.

I remember I was really hyped about Cormier at some point, seemed like he would be a good 2-way guy for us.

I have a lot of faith in Mercer, and although I love Holtz a whole lot and feel he'll be a 30-40 goal scorer for us, I feel like Mercer is more of a "sure shot" to reach his potential.

I cannot believe he's the prospect that went for Kovalchuk. Just unreal.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Yeah, I remember being excited for Cormier. ATL was a tirefire but was surprised he never stuck.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Patrice Cormier was borderline “edgy” player who ended getting suspended indefinitely by QMJHL in January of his last season for a hit that got him criminal charges. (After Captaining the World Junior team.)

Cormier also never was even a PPG player in junior and he played there up to his D+2 season. That’s not good. That might due to injury issues, he had all sorts of them and never played more than 54 games in 4 years in the QMJHL.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
This is one of my favorite prospects in 10 years. Add on the very promising play of Bahl and that Hall trade could look like gold for us.

Gold Jerry Gold!

I can honestly say that -- outside of #1 overall picks -- Mercer is my favorite Devils prospect since Scott Niedermeyer.

I'm not saying Mercer is the best prospect in this time, he's just such a likable player and his compete level and hockey IQ are both absolutely through the roof. He's a guy you win with.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I can honestly say that -- outside of #1 overall picks -- Mercer is my favorite Devils prospect since Scott Niedermeyer.

I'm not saying Mercer is the best prospect in this time, he's just such a likable player and his compete level and hockey IQ are both absolutely through the roof. He's a guy you win with.
You think it's possible he becomes as good as Andreas Johnsson?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad