Confirmed with Link: David Savard sign 4 years at 3.5M

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Great deal, good defender.

It's a little more of the same considering we have Chiarot and Edmundson, but Savard is reliable and overall solid.

I think people skeptical about this will have to eat their words. He'll quietly deliver good defending on most nights (no player is perfect for 82 games).
If he delivers similar value to Steady Ed, that would be fantastic. Solid signing for me.

Reactions: shanewalsh

Jul 6, 2016
MB was not a Danault's fan. Especially after his presser at the end of last Summer Playoffs Series. + The fact that he refused a 6X5 M $ contract at the beginning of this season.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006

You can criticize these but I think this time that's actually very accurate.

I used to like Savard a lot in Columbus and thought he was a very good and underrated player but these last 2 seasons I feel he's been on a clear downward trend especially in terms of his overall impact on the ice. Last 2 years he has become more and more just a pure off-the-glass stay-at-home guy who can't really do much else, and it's fair to assume that's going to be case going forward.

He's a heavy player whose main thing at this point in his career is, like it says there, to defend the slot. And he's still pretty good at it. So I'm expecting him to be good at keeping guys away from grade A spaces and closing those lanes, clearing the net, blocking shots, playing PK. But his ability to transition and join the play and chip in offensively is just gone, which makes his 5 on 5 impact questionable. Especially without a high mobility and skill partner, I feel he's just going to be stuck in his own zone or going off-the-glass.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Seems fair to me, although I’m not that familiar with Savard’s game. Is he closer to a #4 or #6?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I used to like Savard a lot in Columbus and thought he was a very good and underrated player but these last 2 seasons I feel he's been on a clear downward trend especially in terms of his overall impact on the ice. Last 2 years he has become more and more just a pure off-the-glass stay-at-home guy who can't really do much else, and it's fair to assume that's going to be case going forward.

He's a heavy player whose main thing at this point in his career is, like it says there, to defend the slot. And he's still pretty good at it. So I'm expecting him to be good at keeping guys away from grade A spaces and closing those lanes, clearing the net, blocking shots, playing PK. But his ability to transition and join the play and chip in offensively is just gone, which makes his 5 on 5 impact questionable. Especially without a high mobility and skill partner, I feel he's just going to be stuck in his own zone or going off-the-glass.

We'll see. Montreal's system seems to pretty good at getting the most out of guys like that. What you described is what the Habs likely expect.

Prospector

Aug 28, 2004
Although Savard might look redundant with what we already have and lost his offensive touch in the past years, keep in mind that Chiarot is probably gone next year or at the TDL this year. We need some defensive-minded D to complement our next core of more offensive defensemen : Norlinder, Harris, Mailloux, Struble and to some extent Romanov. Good signing for an UFA !

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Seems fair to me, although I’m not that familiar with Savard’s game. Is he closer to a #4 or #6?
He used to have more utility but I'd say that at this point in his career he's a straight up stay-at-home defender who you'd prefer to have in the 3rd pairing mainly taking heavy defensive assigments.

But if you can get him a high quality partner who has high mobility and skill, he could probably play higher up in the lineup.

Reactions: tooji

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
His ankle has been a problem for years now and he's a big guy which doesn't help the situation.

Anything is possible but the team can't be moving forward with Weber in their plans unless the whole thing is 4-D chess. And I seriously doubt Weber would agree to sit out for 6-9 months without being physically unable to play - that's not like him at all.

He'll be out long term whatever happens, no choice on his part. The only question is if he can come back at all.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
A surprisingly reasonable contract. He's a solid add at this price and he should fill in pretty easy into the more defensive minutes Weber was playing. We still need to add a more offense oriented piece on the defense to complement the rest but I like what he brings to the table.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl

Sounds like Weber tbh.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
MB was not a Danault's fan. Especially after his presser at the end of last Summer Playoffs Series. + The fact that he refused a 6X5 M $ contract at the beginning of this season.
If MB was not a fan, historically, why did he let him walk for free?

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
I think I can live with that, better than the Alzner deal by a country mile.

I can't believe the Stars gave Suter 4 years....AAV $3.65M

Well, that's a high friggin bar, isn't it? Savard can open his own cans in the kitchen.

Today the team looks a lot better than two days ago. Still a couple of holes, but some cap to work with and with the increased offense and the stabilization that Savard will bring, probably a better regular season team than last year.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I was referring to the fact that we have zero offence from the back end. I know that Petry is capable but he is very inconsistent
No worries. I have been complaining about lack of offense from Habs D for the last 5 years, it's been incredibly bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad