Confirmed with Link: David Savard sign 4 years at 3.5M

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
4th D-man for points on his team and worst +- stats with his team. Had a tremendous camp and start then, faded.

again not true, he was doing fine, so well that he got invited to play for Team Sweden during Euro Tour which is a warm up for the WC's. He got injured there, missed some time, came back, got injured again and his team was in a major slump. As one of the top teams in the league every year, they had started out being in the top 3 and were neck and neck but then the offense went into a blackhole so while Norlinder was out with his 2nd injury in a short span, they brought in a hired gun in Sigalet who took over Norlinder's spot at RD in the top 3 in terms of TOI (though I can't say I actually checked where Sigalet's TOI was each game). I assume they did this in a panic to shake things up as the team fell from top 3 to the 7-10 range which is the bottom of the playoff range. When Norlinder came back they moved him to LD, he had some defensive issues at times for sure, but then caught fire in the playoffs where he was one of their best players. I think injuries impacted him to some degree but he did what you want to see and that's finish very strong as he was one of the top goal scoring blueliners in the playoffs despite the fact he was a rookie.

Again, why did MB sign him if he was struggling so badly?

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Can't be upset at Savard when they overplay him. Seems like a good guy and he took a discount just to play for us. Wish a star local kid would do that too.
That's the thing with us trying to bring in French players. I don't think anyone in the french media should complain about the Habs and their lack of Quebec players when so many just dont want to come here. Vincent Lecavalier for instance avoided us like the plague and then Briere in his prime ignored us too. I admire the fact Savard came here and likely passed up on some money to do so.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
That's the thing with us trying to bring in French players. I don't think anyone in the french media should complain about the Habs and their lack of Quebec players when so many just dont want to come here. Vincent Lecavalier for instance avoided us like the plague and then Briere in his prime ignored us too. I admire the fact Savard came here and likely passed up on some money to do so.

Savard said he signed because of French schools and proximity to his family. The lesson is Québécois NHL players will sign when their kids are old enough to go to school. So in their early 30s.

Reactions: Andrei79

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Savard said he signed because of French schools and proximity to his family. The lesson is Québécois NHL players will sign when their kids are old enough to go to school. So in their early 30s.
Here's hoping Huberdeau follows a similar path. I'd like it for a big name Quebec born player to come in and lead this team. It would be a good sight to see.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Lecavalier was the absolute worst because unless I'm misrembering, he seemed to always kind of play coy about being interested in joining the Habs one day and relishing the idea of being our team leader and then turned us down for Philadelphia haha

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Lecavalier was the absolute worst because unless I'm misrembering, he seemed to always kind of play coy about being interested in joining the Habs one day and relishing the idea of being our team leader and then turned us down for Philadelphia haha
Vinny_cover_medium.jpg

The hype around Vinny to Montreal in 2009 was nuts. I remember the standing O he got at the 09 All star game. I can't find any quotes but I definitely recall Vinny never shutting down the idea of him going to Montreal. Credit to Briere, at least he did come here and was clutch in the playoffs in 2014!

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
We have friends in edmonton originally from the Montreal area. They have their kids in a fully French school. I imagine most large cities would have them.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Vinny_cover_medium.jpg

The hype around Vinny to Montreal in 2009 was nuts. I remember the standing O he got at the 09 All star game. I can't find any quotes but I definitely recall Vinny never shutting down the idea of him going to Montreal. Credit to Briere, at least he did come here and was clutch in the playoffs in 2014!

Montreal was so thirsty for him. :laugh:

Honestly, it had really gotten to a point where the responsible thing for Lecavalier to do would have been to play it down but I think he may have dug the ego boost and that's why he kept playing footsie.

Reactions: donghabs98

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Montreal was so thirsty for him. :laugh:

Honestly, it had really gotten to a point where the responsible thing for Lecavalier to do would have been to play it down but I think he may have dug the ego boost and that's why he kept playing footsie.
When he played Jean Beliveau in The Rocket movie, I bet people were going nuts over the symbolism!

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
That was 100% the idea. Damn, thinking back on it, that whole Lecavalier thing was so corny and unhealthy from both sides. :laugh:
It was a pretty unhealthy relationship from both sides :laugh:. Habs fans and the media were hungry for a french superstar, Vinny probably loved being treated like royalty.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
We have friends in edmonton originally from the Montreal area. They have their kids in a fully French school. I imagine most large cities would have them.

Canadian cities would, there are french schools in Toronto. You could probably find places in New York and some other big cities, not in smaller US cities.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Only if their spouse is also from Quebec, which is the case for David Savard. But many Quebec born players meet their spouse after leaving the province.

Reactions: FF de Mars

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Hopefully Romanov takes a development leap and top 4 becomes:

Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Savard

yeah as much as people don't like our D corps, you can't count out Romanov. He's a real wild card. Don't know if he quite becomes a difference maker as soon as next year but it's not to be ruled out

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

For the non-French speaking folks:

At the end of the vid after he puts the jersey on, he says he feels like a 12 year old again wearing the jersey. He feels like he's going to watch a game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad