Confirmed with Link: David Savard sign 4 years at 3.5M

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
I don’t mind Savard, but I don’t think I would have offered a contract tbh. 4m for a unidimensional d that we already have 3 more of just isn’t good asset management. We need to get a puck mover somehow.

We miss a puck mover that's for sure for the next year or two. But in two years, we should have at least one of Harris, Norlinder and Brook (maybe Guhle too) ready and with Petry and Romanov, maybe Savard and Edmundson will be the kind of D-Man needed to support them.

Still hope Savard dip in play last season was an anomaly and he could at least get back being a good top 4 defenseman. The term is more scaring than the AVV for me.

Reactions: Redux91

ROEN

Writes for Habsworld
Feb 18, 2008
www.habsworld.net
Savard will do well in Montreal, I still go back to Domenic Lunardo's scouting report on this guy :

A natural-born leader. Heart and soul, team-first player, who gives it everything he has on every shift and leaves it all on the ice. We’ve all heard the cliches about pro-athletes for better or for worse. The funny thing is that these players are an important part of every locker room/team dynamic and contribute to a “winning culture” that so many franchises ascribe to. It is players like this who provide that coveted “it” factor. The Columbus Blue Jackets are fortunate enough to have one of them. His name? Although you might not have thought of it, it’s none other than David Savard.

And to finish off

Savard is as consistent and solid as they come. He plays hard, does things the right way, and takes it upon himself to elevate his play and that of his teammates as often as possible.

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
I would like to move this contract at the trade deadline and get a 2nd back for 2024 draft

Don't think we can move the contract and get something in return. I don't know why the habs hate analytics but a lot of advanced stats were pointing towards a steep decline in Savard case in the last two years.

Reactions: Redux91

malton

Feb 17, 2009
We need some good vets to help move the tank.

He can help the young guys grow while also helping the tank succeed.

It's a brilliant signing to be honest, maybe a year too long.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He isn't the problem, but he isn't what that team needed, and his salary is about 750K higher than it should be.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
He's been good. Had a pretty bad game yesterday. He's playing up in the lineup because of injuries. I like the contract. I think it will age well - term not so bad.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He's had some bad games, but overall he's been respectable. He's been playing tough minutes and has been doing so with guys who should be on the third pair or in the press box. In an ideal world, he's on the third pair and being a stable partner for a younger guy. Also, I have plenty of respect for him for even wanting to come to Montreal on a reasonable deal given local players never want to deal with the pressure of playing here.

The bigger issue with this team is our GM keeps over paying bottom 6 wingers. Armia, Lehkonen and Byron account for $9M and between Armia/Lehkonen they have 2 points and no goals.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
In the context of recent rumours regarding the Leafs, I think Dermott - Savard could be a solid pairing.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
He's had some bad games, but overall he's been respectable. He's been playing tough minutes and has been doing so with guys who should be on the third pair or in the press box. In an ideal world, he's on the third pair and being a stable partner for a younger guy. Also, I have plenty of respect for him for even wanting to come to Montreal on a reasonable deal given local players never want to deal with the pressure of playing here.

The bigger issue with this team is our GM keeps over paying bottom 6 wingers. Armia, Lehkonen and Byron account for $9M and between Armia/Lehkonen they have 2 points and no goals.
That's pretty much my take on Savard as well.

I think he could be a perfectly fine #4 if we had a legitimate puck moving LD, or a good partner for Romanov/Norlinder on the 3rd pair.

The roster construction is a disaster.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That's pretty much my take on Savard as well.

I think he could be a perfectly fine #4 if we had a legitimate puck moving LD, or a good partner for Romanov/Norlinder on the 3rd pair.

The roster construction is a disaster.

Tampa gave up a 1st for him at the TDL just a matter of months ago.

He probably is a useful player on the right dcore. Let's hope some other team thinks so at the upcoming TDL.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Asked to do too much, can't move the puck. Not a fan of his at all but it's not really his fault the team stinks so bad.
I don't think he can't move the puck. He's doesn't have the escape ability due to his skating and he obviously needs a partner who is strong in transition, but I think he's actually a solid passer when given time and space. He's a bit like Weber in this regard.

Our perception right now is influenced by the fact that the pairings are bad and the team as a whole is disorganised. Even good players are bound to look bad in these circumstances.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad