Confirmed with Link: David Savard sign 4 years at 3.5M

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
NHL has him listed at 6'2" and 233lbs. He's got the frame and plays the kind of game that Habs have created as an identity for their d-corps.

Chiarot: 6'3" and 232 lbs
Edmundson: 6'4" and 227 lbs
Petry: 6'3" and 208 lbs
Savard: 6'2" and 233 lbs

All it takes is one stanley cup with that D Core, and every team will do it :laugh::laugh:

Then we can get the guys we want for cheap

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
All it takes is one stanley cup with that D Core, and every team will do it :laugh::laugh:

Just being in the finals is enough to maybe look at that model.

It's something they said Seattle tried to do with their D selections of Oleksiak, Soucy, and Lauzon. And they got Giordano to be like their Petry, a big body who can move and put up points.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Just being in the finals is enough to maybe look at that model.

It's something they said Seattle tried to do with their D selections of Oleksiak, Soucy, and Lauzon. And they got Giordano to be like their Petry, a big body who can move and put up points.
And look at how those type of defenseman got paid this summer

LaTenderness

Feb 9, 2019
Just saw the new guys get welcomed to the team …… my main takeaway is just how absolutely pathetic of shape this guy is in. I guess there are dudes in beer league with that type of man boob and they are ok, but I’m worried about how incredibly soft this guys physique is.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Well, of course you want a more talented group, but big defenses have been a successful trend even before this Montreal run. The unfortunate thing for Montreal is that they have the size, but the skill isn't quite there.

Tampa themselves are enormous on defense and won the last two cups. The blues had a big defense in 2019 outside of Dunn as well. There's your last 3 cup winners.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
If Romanov can possibly fault himself into the top 4 or better then I don't think this D core is actually that bad but it's a big 'if' at this point.

He's been solid defensively in every other league but he had some work to do, at least based on his stats, in the playoffs. Have to see how much of that is adapting to the league/rink, how much is playoff competition, how much is learning.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
with all the d signings lately this was a great contract!
But in truth, the other mega contracts were given to players who bring more to their respective teams than defensive orientation. Taking a degree of solace in the terms of Savard's contract compared to other recent signees, is truly an example of comparing apples to oranges.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
But in truth, the other mega contracts were given to players who bring more to their respective teams than defensive orientation. Taking a degree of solace in the terms of Savard's contract compared to other recent signees, is truly an example of comparing apples to oranges.

Savy is slow on D, but he uses his smarts and positioning to his advantage. He will block shots with reckless abandon and is the ultimate team guy. He can get pucks on net, but scoring isn't his mo. Love David Savard, would take him back on the CBJ in a heart beat.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Savard-Romanov HAS to happen.

If they gel this will be an insane pickup.
I believe Romanov will become reliable enough to take 20 min. + at some point this season. His offensive game will still be under development, but he will be defensively consistent enough.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Savy is slow on D, but he uses his smarts and positioning to his advantage. He will block shots with reckless abandon and is the ultimate team guy. He can get pucks on net, but scoring isn't his mo. Love David Savard, would take him back on the CBJ in a heart beat.
Absolutely. Savard got paid what he is worth in this age of hyper-inflated sport contracts. Savard's presence will not hurt the Canadiens. The question is, will he help elevate the team? The modesty of his contract tends to confirm that the team sees Savard as largely a placeholder until one or more of the team's defensive prospects is able to make a discernible impact.

Last edited:
Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Mr Mom

Sep 17, 2014
Screenshot_20210820-203053_Chrome.jpg

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Savard is basically Weber so the big perceived hole is not really a hole.
Weber has an 'out of jail pass' for cross checks in front of the net though, not Savard.
:laugh:

In all seriousness we were all sh*tting on Weber's last year regular season performance... The guy was so bad. Now that we lost him, it's like people are claiming him to be the the most important player on this team... What will most likely be missed is his papa figure and calming presence in the dressing room.
:dunno:

Reactions: OldCraig71

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I don’t mind Savard, but I don’t think I would have offered a contract tbh. 4m for a unidimensional d that we already have 3 more of just isn’t good asset management. We need to get a puck mover somehow.

Reactions: Toene

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad