Player Discussion David Rittich

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Is it safe to say that Rittich is the Flames #1 goalie? Or are we still going with the fantasy that Smith is our #1 or #1b at worse and we're just waiting for Smith to get his act together?

To me, a #1 will play the majority of games until season end and the other goalie will fill in on back to back games or play a non-b2b game when there is a particularly heavy workload in the week and even if the backup wins the #1 will play the next game.

Right now there are 3 sets of back to back games left in the season and there are 44 games left. If Smith plays 3 of those 44 games that would leave 41 for Rittich to play. As of today Rittich has started 20 games and Smith has started 18. If Rittich starts in the next 41 of 44 he would have 61 starts and Smith would have 21 which seems fine to me.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Is it safe to say that Rittich is the Flames #1 goalie? Or are we still going with the fantasy that Smith is our #1 or #1b at worse and we're just waiting for Smith to get his act together?

To me, a #1 will play the majority of games until season end and the other goalie will fill in on back to back games or play a non-b2b game when there is a particularly heavy workload in the week and even if the backup wins the #1 will play the next game.

Right now there are 3 sets of back to back games left in the season and there are 44 games left. If Smith plays 3 of those 44 games that would leave 41 for Rittich to play. As of today Rittich has started 20 games and Smith has started 18. If Rittich starts in the next 41 of 44 he would have 61 starts and Smith would have 21 which seems fine to me.
Is there any Q who the no.1 goalie is? Please check the stats, there is the answer.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

For now the Flames are still likely to play Rittich as the 1A and Smith as the 1B, but that can change. If nothing else changes, I’d expect Rittich to play in 60% of games and Smith in 40% of what remains.

I really do hope that Rittich continues to play as the undisputed starter because if he does that means we do not need to look for another goalie this offseason, FINALLY. However I’m still not sold that Rittich can continue this level of play for the entire season and being that Smith is our experienced vet, he could regain that role should Rittich falter.

But as of today no question Rittich has won that title and absolutely deserves lots of praise.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
For now the Flames are still likely to play Rittich as the 1A and Smith as the 1B, but that can change. If nothing else changes, I’d expect Rittich to play in 60% of games and Smith in 40% of what remains.

I really do hope that Rittich continues to play as the undisputed starter because if he does that means we do not need to look for another goalie this offseason, FINALLY. However I’m still not sold that Rittich can continue this level of play for the entire season and being that Smith is our experienced vet, he could regain that role should Rittich falter.

But as of today no question Rittich has won that title and absolutely deserves lots of praise.

I think Rittich can definitely post above .920 for 40 games played the way he's trending. I just hope Smith regains form or Tre gets a good backup for Rittich to help ease him more into the role.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

We still have to go find a good backup in the off-season. Smith is not getting re-signed and I have no confidence in any of our prospects. Also, the better of a backup we sign, the more we can drive Rittich's price down during negotiation in the off-season.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We still have to go find a good backup in the off-season. Smith is not getting re-signed and I have no confidence in any of our prospects. Also, the better of a backup we sign, the more we can drive Rittich's price down during negotiation in the off-season.

I agree Smith won’t be re-signed to be a backup. At this point I have no idea who that could be. But it’s huge that it’s starting to look like we have a goalie on our hands.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We might not have the cap space to go with anyone other than Gillies or a Parsons.

Rittich will command 4-5 million if his play keeps up, if we want term. Otherwise it might be smart to just bridge him and pay him once he hits FA. Tough decision.

I think the Tkachuk contract is the key but I still think he’s looking at 7.5x 8. Then Rittich (4.5x4). Bennett will be 2.5-3ish. It’s not going to be easy to fit in a backup goalie with that kinda cap situation. But you never know who could be out there looking for a cheap one year deal. Maybe Kinkaid or Talbot could be had for a low AAV prove it contract.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
We might not have the cap space to go with anyone other than Gillies or a Parsons.

Rittich will command 4-5 million if his play keeps up, if we want term. Otherwise it might be smart to just bridge him and pay him once he hits FA. Tough decision.

I think the Tkachuk contract is the key but I still think he’s looking at 7.5x 8. Then Rittich (4.5x4). Bennett will be 2.5-3ish. It’s not going to be easy to fit in a backup goalie with that kinda cap situation. But you never know who could be out there looking for a cheap one year deal. Maybe Kinkaid or Talbot could be had for a low AAV prove it contract.

RFA goalies just don’t get 4-5 million by having a good 50 games. That’s not how it works

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I’m not sure Gillies or Parsons are an option at this point. They need to show a heckuva lot more.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I would honestly sign Talbot as a back-up. It's not like his price will be very high and even Brossoit is looking better now that he's left the Oilers.

If we have the cap space though, you have to go with Varly

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Derek MacKinnon was there to focus on another guy.

At another position.

On the other team, in fact.

For MacKinnon, the Calgary Flames’ director of pro personnel, the purpose of this March 2016 scouting mission to Prague was for a live look at winger Daniel Pribyl, perched among the leading point-producers in the Czech Extraliga.

“So I went to the game with Daniel’s agent, was sitting with his agent, and as the game progressed, I literally leaned over to his agent and said, ‘Who is the goalie?’ ” MacKinnon recalled, noticing that Pribyl and his HC Sparta Praha pals were having trouble solving the lanky lad in the opposing crease. “The agent asked me, ‘Why?’ and I said, ‘Well, I really like him.’

“He was just explosively quick. I think they scored five on him, so the results weren’t there, but he probably stopped five breakaways and two or three other ‘A’ chances where he just exploded across the net.

“Now, there were other holes in his game, but he caught your eye.”

So who was this goalie?
“(MacKinnon) always sends me video when he’s over in Europe. Over the years, he has probably sent me about 20 goalies, and Ritter is the one that stuck out the most,” Sigalet said. “Right away, you noticed his hockey sense, the ability to read plays and the ability to beat pucks and beat plays. You noticed his edge work, how good he was on his edges and his recovery and getting across his net, his lateral movement. And then his battle level and compete level just really stood out.

“You never know how it’s going to translate over here, but we took that chance.”
“His agent texted me a little before 9 a.m. and said he was running late and that David was in the lobby,” MacKinnon recalled. “So I went downstairs and picked out who I thought was David and said hello. His English was very broken — just sort of ‘Hi’ or ‘Good.’

“He was incredibly nervous, and that’s what I attributed it to. I assumed he was just very nervous and that’s why he was giving me the one-word answers. We didn’t go through the plan for him or anything like that, but I thought the five minutes that we were conversing was at least sinking in.

“Anyway, the agent finally comes in and introduces us and I say, ‘Well, Robert, I’ve already met David. We’ve had a great conversation.’ And he looks at me and says, ‘He doesn’t speak a word of English. He doesn’t have a clue what you’re saying.’ ”

MacKinnon chuckles at the memory.
“What everybody focuses on last year is, ‘Ok, Mike got hurt and coming down the stretch, David had some tough games,’ ” said Calgary’s general manager, Brad Treliving. “Well, guess what? It was his first year in the league and that pressure … Being a backup is way different than, ‘Go save our season.’

“How do you get experience? You get experience by going through those difficult times, and so I was really confident — we were all confident — that the things David went through last year were only going to help him.
“So what do I see this year? I see a lot of the same guy that we’ve seen the last couple years — really competitive, really athletic, great teammate, but a guy who has some experience under his belt.

“At that position, it is so, so hard,” Treliving continued, steering the conversation toward one of the Vezina Trophy nominees last spring. “I’m not comparing at all, but I remember coming into last season, there were questions about (Connor) Hellebuyck in Winnipeg, right? (Steve) Mason gets signed. Well, last June, I think he was in Vegas. They give out this goalie award at the end of the year, and he was one of the guys that was up for it. So it just shows you it can take a little time.

“I’m not saying that with David. I’m just saying that experience that he went through, I think it’s helped him. It helps everybody.”
“We don’t ride the wave,” cautioned Treliving, always adamant about keeping expectations in check. “Last year, people were ready to take (Rittich) behind the barn and put two in his kneecaps. We weren’t there. And this year, we’re not ready to put a statue in front of the building for him yet. You have to be a little even-keeled.

“I think he’s a really good goalie who is competitive, who is still young and is only in his second year and has shown growth and I still think there is growth there. Let’s live in the moment here right now and continue to support him, and he’ll continue to work and get better.

“And we’ll see where we get to.”

MacKinnon, who logged that first report on Rittich in Calgary’s scouting database, is excited to see where this leads.

“I thought he could be a good, competitive goalie in the American league,” MacKinnon said. “You do this job, you have things that you like about goalies. I don’t profess to be an expert, but you like things, and you build from there. And there were elements to his game that we really liked.

“But to say that I thought he was going to be the starting goalie in Calgary, no, that wouldn’t have crossed my mind.

“I’m extremely proud of what he’s done. Just to see where he is at and to see the growth in him as a person, it’s been really impressive.”

Rittich has been fantastic find for Flames

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Rittich will be re-signed, but it won't be more than 2 or 3 years, just to make sure we know what we have and I am fine with that. If for some reason Rittich doesn't turn into the next Miikka (he will), we haven't hand cuffed ourselves.

I like when Tre says not riding the wave, I think he is going to play hardball with Tkachuk even with this big season, which again isn't a bad thing and I don't see him not signing before the season starts next year.

But this is thread is about Rittich [mod]

If he can continue his insane improvement progression like he did from his first season to now, oh boy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

This is the most heartwarming thing I've ever seen in my life. Really seemed like the team was distant from one another during the Gulutzan years by comparison. Now everyone seems like they're having fun playing hockey together.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
"“We don’t ride the wave,” cautioned Treliving, always adamant about keeping expectations in check. “Last year, people were ready to take (Rittich) behind the barn and put two in his kneecaps. We weren’t there. And this year, we’re not ready to put a statue in front of the building for him yet. You have to be a little even-keeled."

Greatest GM quotes... lol.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
"“We don’t ride the wave,” cautioned Treliving, always adamant about keeping expectations in check. “Last year, people were ready to take (Rittich) behind the barn and put two in his kneecaps. We weren’t there. And this year, we’re not ready to put a statue in front of the building for him yet. You have to be a little even-keeled."

Greatest GM quotes... lol.

This year I’d let Rittich take me behind the old barn if you know what I mean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad