Player Discussion David Rittich

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don’t like it either, too soon and kinda bad taste. Would be like Price sporting Roy on his mask in his rookie season, before he had even proven he could fill the shoes
Really? I look at it as a tribute and honoring the two best goalies that the Flames ever had. I doubt it has anything to do with Rittich's opinion of himself. I think you're way off base son.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Please elaborate on how this is 'disrespectful', I am just not seeing it.
Paying respect to someone is about them and not you. Painting the mask so soon makes it appear like it's for him and not Kipper. - I am just the messenger. Do not flame me.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I said bordering disrespectful. I don’t like because, I do think there is a little bit of presumption involved with it. It says to me that he’s starting to feel pretty comfortable, in spite of only posting a .902 sv% in his last 10 starts. I just see as moved reserved for veterans that have paid their dues and already proven their worth over time.
Or, maybe he just wanted a cool Calgary mask? We’ve seen masks with the tower etc, nothing wrong with this. This is like saying, players who idolize Gretzky and co, are being disrespectful because they’ll never be that good. Bennett bordering on disrespectful because he grew a Lanny stache?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Paying respect to someone is about them and not you. Painting the mask so soon makes it appear like it's for him and not Kipper. - I am just the messenger. Do not flame me.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I said bordering disrespectful. I don’t like because, I do think there is a little bit of presumption involved with it. It says to me that he’s starting to feel pretty comfortable, in spite of only posting a .902 sv% in his last 10 starts. I just see as moved reserved for veterans that have paid their dues and already proven their worth over time.

Not sure I follow. Are you suggesting that by having Kipper/Vernon on the mask, Rittich is somehow suggesting that he is entering the same territory as these guys or stating that he is just as much a 'starter' as them? Because I very much doubt that's the angle he is going for.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Or, maybe he just wanted a cool Calgary mask? We’ve seen masks with the tower etc, nothing wrong with this. This is like saying, players who idolize Gretzky and co, are being disrespectful because they’ll never be that good. Bennett bordering on disrespectful because he grew a Lanny stache?
I think Bennett’s stache has a lot more to do with losing the hair on his head than it ever did Lanny. To me, I see it more like Jankowski painting a picture of Nieuwendyk on his helmet, if he retired 5 years ago.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think Bennett’s stache has a lot more to do with losing the hair on his head than it ever did Lanny. To me, I see it more like Jankowski painting a picture of Nieuwendyk on his helmet, if he retired 5 years ago.
I have a tattoo of Jessica Rabbit on my arm. Does that mean I think I'm Jessica Rabbit?

Do you see where we're all going with this?

If you see something one way and EVERYBODY else sees it a completely different way, do you think there's a strong possibility that you're mistaken?

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm not saying that I believe it. I'm just interpreting his paragraph into a simpler paragraph.

Why you kill messenger!

Sorry.. Oh well. I'm sure you deserved it for something else you've done. Think of it as a makeup penalty call.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I have a tattoo of Jessica Rabbit on my arm. Does that mean I think I'm Jessica Rabbit?

Do you see where we're all going with this?

If you see something one way and EVERYBODY else sees it a completely different way, do you think there's a strong possibility that you're mistaken?
Who Framed Roger Rabbit came out 31 years ago Rubi. Kippers pads are barely dried out, way too soon. Yes, I do think there’s a bit of a “starter” statement in the mask and I’m not so sure he’d be one on 95% of the other teams.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Sorry.. Oh well. I'm sure you deserved it for something else you've done. Think of it as a makeup penalty call.
Chugs a beer, burps and yells defensively, "You don't know me!"

No problem, guys. Enjoy the game tonight!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Who Framed Roger Rabbit came out 31 years ago Rubi. Kippers pads are barely dried out, way too soon. Yes, I do think there’s a bit of a “starter” statement in the mask and I’m not so sure he’d be one on 95% of the other teams.
So Vernon's name on the mask is ok with you?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Eddie Lack was a failure here with his Trevor Kidd pads. If that trend continues then Rittich's new mask means that he'll be a super goalie

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
So Vernon's name on the mask is ok with you?
No it doesn’t, that was a different generation. Half the guys that post on here probably never even watched Vernon play and he’s been retired almost as long as the current draft class has been alive.

May 27, 2012
Earth
It’s a misguided, inappropriate attempt at respect. I know a lot of people, now a days, don’t understand respect or even care about it but it’s kind of like McDavid being drafted to Edmonton and wanting to wear 99. I’m sure Rittich’s heart was in the right place but he really hasn’t proven anything yet. I might be old fashioned, but to me, a guy with 51 games of NHL experience wearing a Kipper tribute, playing for his former team, borders on disrespectful.

giphy.gif

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Wasn't there a hockey player years ago who wanted to wear 99 and he got a lot of flack and people questioned him on it and he said it was out of respect to Gretzky? For some reason I seem to think he played for the Colorado Rockies. Or maybe I'm mixing my players and numbers up.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Wasn't there a hockey player years ago who wanted to wear 99 and he got a lot of flack and people questioned him on it and he said it was out of respect to Gretzky? For some reason I seem to think he played for the Colorado Rockies. Or maybe I'm mixing my players and numbers up.
Didn’t Ho Sang want to wear it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->