Player Discussion David Rittich

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Ho Sang was Mario’s

Yup. Ho Sang was Lemieux's number. Brodie also wore that number once upon a time.

Frolik has been quoted saying that no Czech in their right mind would ever wear Jagr's number. So as a "honoring" thing to wear a number, it doesn't make sense.

But a mask isn't the same as a jersey.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It’s a misguided, inappropriate attempt at respect. I know a lot of people, now a days, don’t understand respect or even care about it but it’s kind of like McDavid being drafted to Edmonton and wanting to wear 99. I’m sure Rittich’s heart was in the right place but he really hasn’t proven anything yet. I might be old fashioned, but to me, a guy with 51 games of NHL experience wearing a Kipper tribute, playing for his former team, borders on disrespectful.

You’re completely interpreting this wrong. Usually I don’t ever say anything about someone having a different opinion, but there nothing in bad taste about this other than your post and you’re really off base here. It’s simply a tribute to honouring a former Flames greats.

Reactions: Nanuuk

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
He's not one of the 2 greatest goalies in flames history. This is just a tribute.

Just like Smith's throwback Vernon helmet/cage look. Which I love and think is the best mask I've ever seen and totally want to get someone to duplicate on mine.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Is Rittich Calgary's "#1A"?
I think 1A or 1B. I’d be very surprised if the organization felt 100% comfortable banking on Rittich, moving forward, but he will be in the mix. The cap will be an issue, so I expect Treliving to target cheaper options, as opposed to an outright upgrade.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Rittich seems like a "heady" goalie. Either he goes beast mode in the playoffs or he will fold like a cheap suit. Smith is the same way.

Last edited:

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I think 1A or 1B. I’d be very surprised if the organization felt 100% comfortable banking on Rittich, moving forward, but he will be in the mix. The cap will be an issue, so I expect Treliving to target cheaper options, as opposed to an outright upgrade.

Going forward though as a fan would you pick Rittich or Smith if you had to ride 1 horse

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
It’s essential that one of our goalies gets got right about now and into playoffs. I don’t really care who it is. Would I like it to be Rittich showing he can be our #1 of the future? Absolutely. But Smith played very well in Florida, so might as well give him the chance to see if it’s him that can step up

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Smith is getting the start tomorrow. Sounds like peters is back to trusting the vet moving forward.

Hoping for the best, but I'm doubtful given that smith hasn't strung together solid back to back starts in months. Also, lazar was called up.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Is Rittich Calgary's "#1A"?

Eh.
The coach seems to be more inclined to keep Smith rolling than he is with Rittich.
Like, Smith could have a shit start, and if he was scheduled to make the next, he'd be in regardless. Rittich has a much shorter leach. Essentially the guy's been an elite goalie for the majority of his starts this year; but he's stumbled and the coach is much more inclined to go back to Smith. He trusts the veteran goalie a lot more.

He's the 1A, but that A/B relationship in Calgary is so wonky. Peters gives Smith a lot more leg room.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Rittich was going well until he relaxed too much and started making stupid mistakes. It became a bad habit now he has to fight to get his job back

Smith kinda played well against Florida but he didnt play that last goal well and he was a joke in the SO as usual

I still do not trust Smith but it is what it is....

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Overall Rittich has been very good this season, but the sample is small. I won’t be surprised if Smith or Rittich carry the load for the remainder of the year. I believe Rittich is a quality goalie, but it’s not uncommon that guys come in and play elite for stretches and then fall off a cliff. See Chad Johnson.

Rittich though seems to have sound fundamentals, his position is great and he’s always calm back there. But he’s been very inconsistent of late so no one knows what to expect. I know Treliving loves him and that’s important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad