Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Still feel the same way after watching Hutson and Mailloux play this past week? Reinbacher is the best talent of the three and probably most NHL ready. I'd bet a lot of money he makes the team next year.
wow. That's huge. Haven't seen much of Reinbacher. I should watch @montreal vids when I have some time. The little bit I saw I liked though.

We're in incredible shape.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Still feel the same way after watching Hutson and Mailloux play this past week? Reinbacher is the best talent of the three and probably most NHL ready. I'd bet a lot of money he makes the team next year.
It’s hard to say because we only saw them in 1-2 games. I think consistency is something majority of young defenseman really struggle with and the only way to gauge that is with a much bigger sample size. I do agree Reinbacher is probably the best out of the three right now but I don’t know if any of them are ready to be in the NHL full time yet.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
It’s hard to say because we only saw them in 1-2 games. I think consistency is something majority of young defenseman really struggle with and the only way to gauge that is with a much bigger sample size. I do agree Reinbacher is probably the best out of the three right now but I don’t know if any of them are ready to be in the NHL full time yet.
I honestly haven’t seen anything to show Reinbacher is the best of the 3. Not that I dislike him, but I think it’s too close to call that. Each of the 3 brings something different. Hutson is definitely more dynamic and not as bad in his own end as I thought he’d be for a small guy just starting.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I honestly haven’t seen anything to show Reinbacher is the best of the 3. Not that I dislike him, but I think it’s too close to call that. Each of the 3 brings something different. Hutson is definitely more dynamic and not as bad in his own end as I thought he’d be for a small guy just starting.
I agree. Comparing Lane with Reinbacher is a little like comparing apples and oranges just because they play is so different.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Gotta keep in mind Reinbacher is the youngest too

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I think just because of size, Reinbacher could be the more complete guy, but he’ll need to show more offence.
I would compare with Markov to make my point. The very first quality of a D is playing D in his own end. It starts there. We all talk about how Markov was a general on PP and offense in general. Right, good. But he was also excellent in defense. Let's say Marky was bad in his own end and excellent in offense, would we put him on a pedestal? Probably not. We would say he was an excellent one dimentional player.

My believing is Reinbacher will probably become one of the best defensive D of his generation and that already makes him a very valuable player. I'm sure he will bring something signifiant in offense, that's something he will developp. This is like a good sound system or a sunroof in a car. It's nice if you have it but the most important is the engine and the good mechanic.

So, Reinbacher should become the most valuable D of the 3.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I would compare with Markov to make my point. The very first quality of a D is playing D in his own end. It starts there. We all talk about how Markov was a general on PP and offense in general. Right, good. But he was also excellent in defense. Let's say Marky was bad in his own end and excellent in offense, would we put him on a pedestal? Probably not. We would say he was an excellent one dimentional player.

My believing is Reinbacher will probably become one of the best defensive D of his generation and that already makes him a very valuable player. I'm sure he will bring something signifiant in offense, that's something he will developp. This is like a good sound system or a sunroof in a car. It's nice if you have it but the most important is the engine and the good mechanic.

So, Reinbacher should become the most valuable D of the 3.
Markov started out putting up a lot of points and letting mediocre players deke and score on a pairing with Brisebois. He focused more on D as time went on, and got a lot of coaching. I remember stories that he was reluctant to change in ways the coaching staff wanted until he started seeing the benefits. He worked out his game.

Hutson's defensive issues are more physical. Markov wasn't huge but players overall weren't as big, either, so he wasn't at a huge disadvantage. We'll see how coachable Hutson is, how good the current habs coaches are, and whether he can deal with the size difference. He looked great on offense with the habs, but they were often hemmed in their zone when he was on, and he ended up -2 in spite of putting up points. He has a lot of time to work out his defensive game, but he's got a long way to go to be a playoff asset.

I was surprised at how good Mailloux looks. I haven't seen enough of Reinbacher to say anything about him. As a higher pick and a bigger, more responsible player, I expect he has a higher floor than the other two.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think just because of size, Reinbacher could be the more complete guy, but he’ll need to show more offence.
I think the thing Reinbacher has to do is become a rock defensively. That in itself will lend to better stats at the other end of the rink.
It's going to have to start with not getting beat to the outside and not letting players get behind him.
I think most of the other aspects of his game are fairly solid. We drafted this guy to be shut down.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think the thing Reinbacher has to do is become a rock defensively. That in itself will lend to better stats at the other end of the rink.
It's going to have to start with not getting beat to the outside and not letting players get behind him.
I think most of the other aspects of his game are fairly solid. We drafted this guy to be shut down.
It’s really the only defensive flaw I can see. SHOULD be an easy fix. He’s made plenty of beautiful effortless D plays against grown men.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Markov started out putting up a lot of points and letting mediocre players deke and score on a pairing with Brisebois. He focused more on D as time went on, and got a lot of coaching. I remember stories that he was reluctant to change in ways the coaching staff wanted until he started seeing the benefits. He worked out his game.

Hutson's defensive issues are more physical. Markov wasn't huge but players overall weren't as big, either, so he wasn't at a huge disadvantage. We'll see how coachable Hutson is, how good the current habs coaches are, and whether he can deal with the size difference. He looked great on offense with the habs, but they were often hemmed in their zone when he was on, and he ended up -2 in spite of putting up points. He has a lot of time to work out his defensive game, but he's got a long way to go to be a playoff asset.

I was surprised at how good Mailloux looks. I haven't seen enough of Reinbacher to say anything about him. As a higher pick and a bigger, more responsible player, I expect he has a higher floor than the other two.
Mailloux is quite a big guy in a good shape. He'll become a very good d in future, he have the complete set of tools. I wonder if he could top Reinbacher or Ghule. I think he will be the third best. Or it's Hutson. They both can improve.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

Reinbacher is an excellent skater, always balanced, he can do 360 degres both sides, he can roll making a check at high speed. He's freaky fast, a tall huge body with tons of skills and hockey IQ.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He was drafted the highest of the three yes. Doesn’t mean he’s better.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
He was drafted the highest of the three yes. Doesn’t mean he’s better.
He's the most "defenseman" of the three. If 3 of them developp into their ceilings, Rein's ceiling will be the highest. He will be the most effective D to catch and pinn on the boards opposite forwards. His skating + size + footspeed will make him an elite defensive D.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
My preliminary take (we'll see at camp):

- Even if Reinbacher is the better overall Dman than Hutson and Mailloux, Hutson brings something the team sorely needs: someone other than Matheson that can create offense. So Hutson will have a spot for sure.
- Whether Reinbacher will earn a spot will not only depend on whether he's NHL ready, but also the situation with the other D. Hughes is an asset manager. He may trade other D away to make room for Reinbacher. But he won't give them away. And so, Reinbacher could spend time developing in Laval while Hughes makes a trade. That's what would have happened with Primeau if Primeau didn't have to go through waivers, as Reinbacher doesn't.

But he looks like it
Hutson brings something special. I have to see more to see who adds more overall.

Reactions: jaffy27

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
It’s easier to bring in a young winger and let him work it out like Slaf then a defenseman. Reinbacher won’t make the team unless they think he’s truly ready.
Expectation will be higher on the team next year. Unless he can really hold his own he will not be in the NHL.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Lets not neglect he is the youngest of the three.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I trust Hughes will not rush Reinbacher as he should play a full season in Laval next year. There is no need to expedite bringing him up.

People said the same thing about slaf and he developed just fine in the big league. Reinbacher will play wherever they see fit.

Reactions: jrom

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
People said the same thing about slaf and he developed just fine in the big league. Reinbacher will play wherever they see fit.
There is a difference- Habs have a logjam of young D and there is no rush. That was not the case up front with Slaf who was a 1OA. Reinbacher I believe will be a solid NHL Dman in time but he doesn't need to be rushed. Nemec and Jiricek both played a full AHL season.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Reinbacher has looked good so far in Laval, especially for a kid that went straight from the Swiss League to the AHL and is still learning the NA game.

The stats speak for themselves so far:

11 Games, 2 goals and 3 assists with a +6

He hasn't been on the ice for too many goals for. Strong defensive play comes first, the offense will follow.

Just as a comparable, Simon Nemec finished his D+1 season in the AHL with 12 goals and 22 assists in 65 games with a +13, but he only had 1 goal and 5 assists in his first 18 games with a +2

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It’s easier to bring in a young winger and let him work it out like Slaf then a defenseman. Reinbacher won’t make the team unless they think he’s truly ready.

I'd think he'd be better than Barron for the number 6 spot next to Xhekaj. But we'll see in camp. He's also have to beat out Mailloux, Struble, and Harris, if they're still here.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Reinbacher be 6 or 7th best Defenseman in this draft.

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
There is a difference- Habs have a logjam of young D and there is no rush. That was not the case up front with Slaf who was a 1OA. Reinbacher I believe will be a solid NHL Dman in time but he doesn't need to be rushed. Nemec and Jiricek both played a full AHL season.
There was no rushing with Slaf. They wouldn't have put Slaf on the big club if they didn't think NHL was best for his development. They would have given his 3rd/4th line minutes to someone else.

We'll see what happens with Reinbacher. It will all depend on how he looks in camp. They are in a good situation where they can have internal competition for the D spots. I thought Mailloux looked terrific in his one NHL game.

Reactions: Mudz and Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad