Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Unless he blows the doors off at training camp, I would send him right back to Laval at the start of next season, along with Mailloux (same situation) and hopefully Lane Hutson. If he shows he's the first that deserves to be called up, than so be it. I want these kids to be ready to play in the NHL. We can afford to be patient with these prospects.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Unless he blows the doors off at training camp, I would send him right back to Laval at the start of next season, along with Mailloux (same situation) and hopefully Lane Hutson. If he shows he's the first that deserves to be called up, than so be it. I want these kids to be ready to play in the NHL. We can afford to be patient with these prospects.
I'm not sure that's the plan for him, but I'd be all for it.

At some point, if this team is going to be good, we need to stop having the youngest defense core in the league. Talent is nice, but maybe we can cook them a little bit more in the A before coming up.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I'm not sure that's the plan for him, but I'd be all for it.

At some point, if this team is going to be good, we need to stop having the youngest defense core in the league. Talent is nice, but maybe we can cook them a little bit more in the A before coming up.

If it isn't, it should be. We have more than enough defensemen on the roster for next season so that he can at least start the season in the NHL. Nothing says that he can't get called up at one point and play in the NHL on a continuous basis later in the season like Simon Nemec did with the Devils.

Of course, if he comes into camp stronger and faster and forces the Canadiens' hand, than that's great too.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and Rozz

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He is in the same tier of Simon Nemec right?!
The sample size is very small but from the 8 games he played i'd say yes

You got to give at least 10-20 games in the NHL to Mailloux next season though. Burying a kid in the AHL without giving him NHL experience is never a good idea in my book. It's fine if Mailloux spend most of next season in the AHL he's still very raw but he should have a taste of the NHL to know where he is at in his development like Barron this season.

Last edited:

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
If Reinbacher have same impact of Markov, that will be a homerun pick.

Markov have been not only a fantastic player, but a game changer.

Markov was an absolute steal in the 6th round. In a 1998 re-draft he probably goes top 5 , maybe even top 3. He ended up being better than Allen , Stuart and Vishnevsky who went 3-4-5th overall. We could make a case for Regehr i guess as he was an absolute defensive beast in his prime but that's probably it. When you look at it with hindsight Markov is probably the best D coming out of the 1998 class.

So yeah if Reinbacher ends up having the same impact as Markov then we get a future top pairing D in our hands. Let's hope that's the case

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Markov was an absolute steal in the 6th round. In a 1998 re-draft he probably goes top 5 , maybe even top 3. He ended up being better than Allen , Stuart and Vishnevsky who went 3-4-5th overall. We could make a case for Regehr i guess as he was an absolute defensive beast in his prime but that's probably it. When you look at it with hindsight Markov is probably the best D coming out of the 1998 class.

So yeah if Reinbacher ends up having the same impact as Markov then we get a future top pairing D in our hands. Let's hope that's the case

Man looking at the names in the 1998 draft and trying to compute they were all drafted 26 years ago :/

SwordSlash666

Mar 8, 2006
Montreal
I would say so (I watched him live once and I watched 5 of his 8 games). He's really more dynamic that I anticipated and you can see that he has more skills than anybody on ice. He skates well, he like to get in the action in the offensive zone. He's overcommiting sometimes, trying to do too much but he can repair his own mistakes most of the time. There's glimpse of him doing incredible things too.

He's not NHL ready of course, but he's already one of the best D in Laval.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I say 3rd overall

1) Datsyuk
2) Lecavalier
3) Markov

As late as Markov was selected, Datsyuk went even later.

Reactions: CapSpace and Tyson

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
If he has a great camp - which I expect he will - he'll make the team next year. I don't see any need for him to play a full year in the AHL, we will have a good enough NHL d core that he can get sheltered minutes with the big club. And Marty knows how to work with young guys, all signs pointing to him playing with the big club next year.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If he has a great camp - which I expect he will - he'll make the team next year. I don't see any need for him to play a full year in the AHL, we will have a good enough NHL d core that he can get sheltered minutes with the big club. And Marty knows how to work with young guys, all signs pointing to him playing with the big club next year.
I think he and Hutson play together in the AHL.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Strong chance Reinbacher has good camp though. Like Slaf this year when everybody wanted him sent down, he may develop better at NHL level. Plus Habs weak on right side. Only sure right shot D we have is Savard. Barron maybe, but that is iffy. Guhle I'd rather see him on his natural side. Seems to get hit more on his off side.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Strong chance Reinbacher has good camp though. Like Slaf this year when everybody wanted him sent down, he may develop better at NHL level. Plus Habs weak on right side. Only sure right shot D we have is Savard. Barron maybe, but that is iffy. Guhle I'd rather see him on his natural side. Seems to get hit more on his off side.
Pretty sure, we will try Barron first. Give Reinbacher 30 games in the AHL. If Barron can't handle the NHL, trade him. We need to give him one last chance to make the Habs roster.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Pretty sure, we will try Barron first. Give Reinbacher 30 games in the AHL. If Barron can't handle the NHL, trade him. We need to give him one last chance to make the Habs roster.

Yes, Barron is getting the NHL spot unless he shits the bed and someone else is just too strong to go back down. But we can exercise patience and we will.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I think he and Hutson play together in the AHL.
That would be cool, but they are going to have a tough call to make when he proves he is NHL ready next year. He will be D+2 and the best dman drafted that class, I think he proves he belongs like Nemec did. Hardly a stretch for the top dman of his class, smart player, with size who has been playing pro hockey for a few years, to play in the NHL at 20.

I know we have a logjam but can't see them making him play in the AHL if he is NHL ready. Should be a great problem to have!

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That would be cool, but they are going to have a tough call to make when he proves he is NHL ready next year. He will be D+2 and the best dman drafted that class, I think he proves he belongs like Nemec did. Hardly a stretch for the top dman of his class, smart player, with size who has been playing pro hockey for a few years, to play in the NHL at 20.

I know we have a logjam but can't see them making him play in the AHL if he is NHL ready. Should be a great problem to have!
I think Reinbacher is right on schedule and perhaps a tad behind because of the situation this past season.
The plan was always to play him a full year in the AHL; So call up for injury is possible but full time NHL duty is hard to see until after the TDL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad