Player Discussion David Quinn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
What are you talking about? If Tortz was at the help, the team would be 13-0 with 10 shut outs.

It's bizarre yet predictable that people are yearning for a coach like Trotz and Babcock.

The Rangers are a team in transition, and Quinn seems like an adequate transitional coach. Do I think he'll be the guy when this team is ready to truly compete in a couple of years? Probably not. That's the time to make a bigger splash with an established head coach.

The lack of patience astounds me. This team was stripped down to virtually nothing not too long ago. I think Quinn is doing a pretty good job rebuilding a culture with the club and developing the younger guys. You think a guy like Babcock or Trotz, who have already been to the top of the mountain, would even have patience for that?

The ironic thing is that most of the people yearning for a guy like Trotz would be the first ones to rip him when he got here.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Trotz and Torts have always felt so similar to me in that they can make bad teams look better than they are in the regular season then can’t adjust what they’re doing until they get fired

Reactions: haveandare

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
If it wasn’t expected that Trotz would be let go, how can you possibly hold it against the Rangers for not waiting for him to be let go when one of their other top candidates took a job elsewhere?

That's the most absurd defense I've ever heard. How can I hold it against them??? Because they failed to see who was available and that was an enormous mistake! It's like deciding on who your are going to sign as a free agent before you even know the possible free agents that are out there! You seriously can't be defending this decision to rush into hiring a coach before you even know who the pool of applicants could be! David Quinn was not getting snatched up by anyone-- he would have waited a month or so, I'm sure of that!

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
That's the most absurd defense I've ever heard. How can I hold it against them??? Because they failed to see who was available and that was an enormous mistake! It's like deciding on who your are going to sign as a free agent before you even know the possible free agents that are out there! You seriously can't be defending this decision to rush into hiring a coach before you even know who the pool of applicants could be! David Quinn was not getting snatched up by anyone-- he would have waited a month or so, I'm sure of that!
If it wasn’t expected that Trotz would be let go, what possible reason could they have to wait even longer than they did (if you don’t remember, people were freaking out that they were taking so long to hire someone)? And it’s not like your free agent analogy at all, if anything it would be like signing Panarin on July 1 and then McDavid gets his contract terminated and then you can’t do anything because you’ve already spent the cap space getting Panarin

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
You keep on banging down this door. You say convesation about Trots is pointless, but yet keep bringing up his name. Those early Nashville teams were not young at all. And when they were, they were NEVER as young as the Rangers. A Trotz team did not did not get a playoff win until his 6 full year coaching. But wait, there's more. A Trotz team did not get as much as one playoff series win until his 12th year in the league. You keep up bringing his name over and over and over again, but the fact is that his experience in "building" Nashville resulted in waiting 12 years until the team could get a single playoff victory here. Want to sign up for that right now with the Rangers? You should. Because you keep up bringing what a wonderful job he did with Nashville.

You were told time and time again. Gorton did not need to wait until the season was over until he made his hire. He identified his man. At that point it made not a single lick of difference if Trotz became available. Not one.

Gorton identifying his choice to lead the youngest team in the league is far from awful management. It was a calculated decision as to what was best for the franchise. And guess what? It was NOT Trotz.

That is because very few people see it as an awful decision.

You wanted your golden boy to become the head coach based on what he did with a Nashville team? Then you had better be on board with waiting until 2031 for the Rangers to get their first playoff series victory. How does that sound?

You are such a die in the wool Ranger fan it's incredible. "In Gorton we trust" "Gorton knows best" " Gorton is a soothsayer"-- just print the t-shirts up already!

How can you not see that a proven NHL head coach is a better option than a "he will work with the young guys" hire??? Also how could you possibly know if Gorton thought Trotz was his guy. HE DID NOT EVEN KNOW HE WOULD BECOME AVAILABLE!!!! That's my entire point. Maybe when Trotz became available Gorton said to himself " geez I should have waited." Obviously he won't ever say that and we will never know but again, he rushed to get "his guy" before he even knew all the candidates. Literally every single organization that hires these types of "stop gap coaches" end of replacing them with a proven winning NHL coach anyway. Not all of them do it successfully( as is witnessed by Toronto and the Babcok hire), but as I pointed out in this thread a few pages back, every single rebuilding team gets rid of their coach once they feel they are ready to take the leap to being more competitive. So why not just go right to the stage of, we want the Rangers to have a competitive approach each season and hire the best NHL coach that's out there! That's really not even a hard line of thinking to support.

Each time I read people defend this justification that Quinn was the Rangers guy it just makes me realize even more that the Rangers are brilliant at getting and attracting fans who are actually like pigs to a slaughter. Just accept a mediocre hire, just accept a week structure and poorly established foundation, but all is good because at least the organization got their man beind the bench and announced they were rebuilding. Is it not even possible to look critically at organizational decisions?

Just to shut this line of counter arguement down too-- I'm not advocating the Trotz would even be the guy. He's showing he can coach up a roster right now with the Islanders and I think he would have done amazingly well here with the Rangers. My main issue is the rush to hire Quinn.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYR

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
If it wasn’t expected that Trotz would be let go, what possible reason could they have to wait even longer than they did (if you don’t remember, people were freaking out that they were taking so long to hire someone)? And it’s not like your free agent analogy at all, if anything it would be like signing Panarin on July 1 and then McDavid gets his contract terminated and then you can’t do anything because you’ve already spent the cap space getting Panarin

The Rangers did not even wait until after the cup finals. It's not possible you can't see what I'm saying. If they waited another few weeks they at least would have known all of the possible candidates. That's my only point. It's simple-- just wait and see who was out there to be hired. If Gorton still loved Quinn more than Trotz, cool-- go with Quinn.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
The Rangers did not even wait until after the cup finals. It's not possible you can't see what I'm saying. If they waited another few weeks they at least would have known all of the possible candidates. That's my only point. It's simple-- just wait and see who was out there to be hired. If Gorton still loved Quinn more than Trotz, cool-- go with Quinn.
I get what you’re saying and it’s all based on hindsight and your own disliking of Quinn

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It's possible Trotz wouldnt have come here anyway with us in a rebuild, and there is also the idea that with a young team his system might not take as well as it did with a veteran Isles team.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I get what you’re saying and it’s all based on hindsight and your own disliking of Quinn

It’s totally based on hindsight but even in real time it’s just bad management to not allow a situation to develop fully before evaluating ones options.

Just to clarify again, I don’t dislike Quinn. I think he has attributes that I like in coaches. I just don’t believe how he’s a long term solution

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
It’s totally based on hindsight but even in real time it’s just bad management to not allow a situation to develop fully before evaluating ones options.

Just to clarify again, I don’t dislike Quinn. I think he has attributes that I like in coaches. I just don’t believe how he’s a long term solution
Quinn doesn’t need to be a long term solution though. He needs to be the right guy for what management wants right now, if their goals change and he’s not the guy to carry out those goals, it’s as easy as firing him and hiring a new guy

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
This myth where people are continuously stating that a coach doesn't need to be a long term solution is nothing more than that...A myth.

There shouldn't be any short term thinking right now, especially during a rebuild so I don't see how that buys you any points other than in creativity.

Happy Thanksgiving! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: JHS

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Agreed. I don't believe anyone was even mentioning Trotz at the time. If I recall the place was pretty much pro-Jim Montgomery.

Again, no one could have been pro Trotz because no one knew he was available until after the Rangers hired Quinn.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
How about we put Trotz coaching the team aside for a min and just emulate his system?
He's just coached a SC winning team and in a copy cat league, JG/DQ are 5 years behind...

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Trotz's system is Mitch Korn. You know what Robin Lehner's SV% is this season? .938%. Mitch Korn has literally followed Trotz everywhere since 1998. He was Dominik Hasek's goalie coach in Buffalo during the 1990s.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Trotz's system is Mitch Korn. You know what Robin Lehner's SV% is this season? .938%. Mitch Korn has literally followed Trotz everywhere since 1998. He was Dominik Hasek's goalie coach in Buffalo during the 1990s.

Aside from winning the cup, the Fishsticks of all teams have only 5 losses on the season thus far.
They are far from a stacked team yet they're right up the Caps ass.
We should give credit where due, no?

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I'll keep this short and sweet..
Out of morbid curiosity..I'd like to take a pole here.
Please give me YOUR grade on DQ and a reason why.
Please and thank you..

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Aside from winning the cup, the Fishsticks of all teams have only 5 losses on the season thus far.
They are far from a stacked team yet they're right up the Caps ass.
We should give credit where due, no?
I am, I'm just giving roughly 50% of the credit to their goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad