Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
True Blue said:
Maybe. But it does seem that a part of commitment, is a commitment to effort

I think it's more though. I don't look at someone like Buchnevich this season and think that he isn't working hard. I look at him and think he hasn't been engaged and he hasn't shown the willingness to do whatever it takes to contribute positively to the team. There's definitely overlap between commitment and effort, but I think the commitment side of it is what Quinn is looking for more than anything. That commitment engenders effort, but also maximizes skill.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
One of the things I'm looking to see is if Quinn can change the zone exits strategy to be a little more dynamic.

Alain ran the same outlet strategy every year he was here, and teams fully adapted by year 3. That stretch pass out of the zone isn't working anymore.

The Rangers have had a lot of trouble exiting the zone cohesively.... some of that is adjustments, some of that is stupidity, but those are the things you look at when a new coach is implementing his shit.

Take Bednar in COL for example.... he's got it down. Terrible during his 1st year... just terrible, yet he's able to adjust, and win with a low talent squad. COL has one of the better support systems when it comes to bailing their defense out when they get control in their own zone.

Torts still runs the same plays as he did in NY. Which, work.... against some teams.

But I like what Bednar is doing the most. He has his forwards alleviate the pressure of the D, and the D come up with multiple passing options.... none of which are the Alain home-run pass. In the last few years, only Michael Grabner benefited from that plan. The Bednar system has it simplified, but also opens up space for a trailer, or a headman. It's one of the reasons why MacKinnon is just crushing it.

Watch them play, keep an eye on the breakouts.... see what they do to free up Mac. It's really high entertainment value hockey. You'll see some filthy plays. Things that you never saw under Alain.

Reactions: GodlyRangers

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
One of the things I'm looking to see is if Quinn can change the zone exits strategy to be a little more dynamic.

Alain ran the same outlet strategy every year he was here, and teams fully adapted by year 3. That stretch pass out of the zone isn't working anymore.

The Rangers have had a lot of trouble exiting the zone cohesively.... some of that is adjustments, some of that is stupidity, but those are the things you look at when a new coach is implementing his ****.

Take Bednar in COL for example.... he's got it down. Terrible during his 1st year... just terrible, yet he's able to adjust, and win with a low talent squad. COL has one of the better support systems when it comes to bailing their defense out when they get control in their own zone.

Torts still runs the same plays as he did in NY. Which, work.... against some teams.

But I like what Bednar is doing the most. He has his forwards alleviate the pressure of the D, and the D come up with multiple passing options.... none of which are the Alain home-run pass. In the last few years, only Michael Grabner benefited from that plan. The Bednar system has it simplified, but also opens up space for a trailer, or a headman. It's one of the reasons why MacKinnon is just crushing it.

Watch them play, keep an eye on the breakouts.... see what they do to free up Mac. It's really high entertainment value hockey. You'll see some filthy plays. Things that you never saw under Alain.

It's tough to get any traction on zone exits when you're D is immobile in a game that is becoming increasingly more mobile. Skjei, Pionk, DeAngelo, and Shattenkirk are the guys that don't handle the puck like a hand grenade, and the latter 3 all have their own issues that run the spectrum. Anyway, you're completely right. It's the next phase I'd like to see some cohesion around, but its just tough when you don't have the horses.

Reactions: Rangerfans

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It's tough to get any traction on zone exits when you're D is immobile in a game that is becoming increasingly more mobile. Skjei, Pionk, DeAngelo, and Shattenkirk are the guys that don't handle the puck like a hand grenade, and the latter 3 all have their own issues that run the spectrum. Anyway, you're completely right. It's the next phase I'd like to see some cohesion around, but its just tough when you don't have the horses.

Wat.

Outside of being outmuscled in his own zone, moving the puck out of his own end via the pass has been his biggest weakness.

Hes pretty good at rushing it out when thats an option, but as a puck mover it almost seems like hes trying to emulate Staal, with the odd good pass here and there.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

The Rangers have had a lot of trouble exiting the zone cohesively.... some of that is adjustments, some of that is stupidity, but those are the things you look at when a new coach is implementing his ****.

It's just the eye test of an unsophisticated hockey fan but it looks to me like our breakouts are a lot better. More support coming out of the zone.

Reactions: NCRanger

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
It's just the eye test of an unsophisticated hockey fan but it looks to me like our breakouts are a lot better. More support coming out of the zone.

Definitely more support, but still not controlled imo. Some lines are great at it, the Bergeron unit for one, Mackinnon's.

They have set formations, which are hard to see on TV sometimes, but the Rangers are still happy to get the tip into the offensive zone, or resort to a dump and chase. The latter of which I'm actually happy with... especially when guys go in and chase it down. Howden is great at it.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
For the most part, I really like what Quinn has done. I also think the whole thing with Chytil is overblown. I'll never forget an interview I read with Joe Thornton years back where he talked about his first season in the NHL. He played an average of something like 5-10 mins per game, but said his experience that year jettisoned him onto the path for the player he became. He talked about the attitude of spending the year with professionals, practicing at an NHL level, etc. I would probably prefer Chytil get more minutes, but he has nothing left to prove in the AHL and can learn here as we have no pressure of succeeding this year.

The one thing that concerns me is I'm fearful Quinn is similar to Torts in that he gets the ultimate best from blue collar players but has difficulty handling skill guys. I'm worried Buchnevich is being severely mishandled. For example, in the game yesterday I saw Buchnevich trying to hit, check, start skirmishes on almost every shift. There's a difference between playing hard and playing tough. I'm worried Quinn associates playing hard with playing tough. It's one thing to ask skill players to buy in to a go hard to the net approach, which I think they can benefit from, but if hitting, playing with snarl, etc is what he requires from players like Buch, I don't see them properly developing here or succeeding in the way they could.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
For the most part, I really like what Quinn has done. I also think the whole thing with Chytil is overblown. I'll never forget an interview I read with Joe Thornton years back where he talked about his first season in the NHL. He played an average of something like 5-10 mins per game, but said his experience that year jettisoned him onto the path for the player he became. He talked about the attitude of spending the year with professionals, practicing at an NHL level, etc. I would probably prefer Chytil get more minutes, but he has nothing left to prove in the AHL and can learn here as we have no pressure of succeeding this year.

The one thing that concerns me is I'm fearful Quinn is similar to Torts in that he gets the ultimate best from blue collar players but has difficulty handling skill guys. I'm worried Buchnevich is being severely mishandled. For example, in the game yesterday I saw Buchnevich trying to hit, check, start skirmishes on almost every shift. There's a difference between playing hard and playing tough. I'm worried Quinn associates playing hard with playing tough. It's one thing to ask skill players to buy in to a go hard to the net approach, which I think they can benefit from, but if hitting, playing with snarl, etc is what he requires from players like Buch, I don't see them properly developing here or succeeding in the way they could.

F***ing great post RE: Chytil/Jumbo

I have no clue as to what they’re doing with Buch, I hope Quinn or Gorts has a bigger plan than any of us are seeing. Otherwise you’re correct, it looks like f***ery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad