Player Discussion David Quinn: Part VI

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Is he still employed because of feet dragging or because the FO has faith in the guy?

I'm thinking they are keeping him through the end of the Stanly Cup and then- maybe- they will see whose out there for coaches. If they still think Quinn is the best option than I guess he's back. I'm floored if they start the 2021 season with him leading the team but with this organization, who knows!

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Not clear on your point here. You said that players do not improve on faceoffs, but it's actually very common for young players to need to learn how to be successful at faceoffs at the NHL level. As for why Zibanejad regressed on faceoffs and why Strome has never been good at them, that's another question. But the idea that faceoff skill is innate is just not true, and following that line of thinking leads one to believing the only way for the team to improve on faceoffs is to replace these centers.

You're right. I phrased it wrong. Players can get better or worse, but if coaching were the reason, all the centers on a team would get better at it, if one did.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I've made the same point. Where is this development? He played Blackwell the second half of the year on the second line and PP1 over our youngsters. I'm telling you people like him personally and therefore stick up for him. AV was a douche and even though he accomplished infinitely more for the Rangers everyone wanted him gone.

I guess it comes down to some people thinking development begins and ends with ice time and others don't.

Reactions: haveandare

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Then that's a roster issue. Take your pick of analogy: warden's lost control, or teacher's lost control of the class.
that's most definitely not a roster issue... thats a leadership issue. As in management

RangerRebirth

May 2, 2021
Until the cheap ass owner refuses to sign the rest of the staff...
That sounds like wishful thinking. For us to get him we would need him to want to coach somewhere else, which doesn't seem likely according to previous interviews on the subject and he has a reputation of a straight shooter. And then we'd need him to want to come to NYR.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Will be absolutely insane if Quinn is left standing. I thought he would for sure be given the axe today in short order.

I didn't expect anything today. Dru is still probably in the process of gathering information as we speak and/or wants to give it a few days before dropping the hammer.

If he isn't fired by Wednesday? Yeah then he's probably staying.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
That sounds like wishful thinking. For us to get him we would need him to want to coach somewhere else, which doesn't seem likely according to previous interviews on the subject and he has a reputation of a straight shooter. And then we'd need him to want to come to NYR.
Oh it's absolutely wishful thinking, not banking on it at all. But like I said, stranger things have happened. Until the he puts pen to paper anything could happen. The likelihood of the anything happening is incredibly low though I concur.

Reactions: RangerRebirth

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
If Dolan looked at our team and said to himself that we clearly can't hang with the heavier teams and subsequently fired the 2 responsible for assembling the team, he's clearly indicating it was a personnel issue and not the coaching in his mind. Imagine if Quinn was in the war room pre-FA frenzy saying we need more N-S 2 way grit, and JG and JD preached patience and gave him Blackwell, then I can see them keeping Quinn for another year and give him a grittier group.

All conjecture.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Not a huge Larry Brooks fan, but the guy made a good point.

It all comes down to if David Quinn is the guy to take the Rangers to that next level?

Nothing more or less.

I think you would be right in saying he's not responsible for putting the team together.

But it's also a fact certain that the Rangers came on the ice for way too many games not ready to play. More than just those last critical games against the Isles and Caps.

That's about getting the most out of your team and helping them realize their potential which is absolutely the job of a head coach.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
To add to my last and to tap into the "Advanced Stats" demographic within our fan base, I would suggest looking at those games where the Rangers had a slow start to the game.

What was our winning percentage in those games I wonder?

It seems to me that a coach ready to take his team to the next level would be leveraging that in discussions with his players especially the younger ones.

Because it seems to me there is so much negative that can come from these slow starts: bad habits, bad relations with teammates, building a negative team culture as opposed to a positive one, etc.

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
If Dolan looked at our team and said to himself that we clearly can't hang with the heavier teams and subsequently fired the 2 responsible for assembling the team, he's clearly indicating it was a personnel issue and not the coaching in his mind. Imagine if Quinn was in the war room pre-FA frenzy saying we need more N-S 2 way grit, and JG and JD preached patience and gave him Blackwell, then I can see them keeping Quinn for another year and give him a grittier group.

All conjecture.

ha... that’s most of this board: conjecture!!! Nothing wrong with that.

I have mixed feelings about this whole debacle- what a season. Regarding what you said, I definitely think this is possible. Not to mention that Quinn was as much a Drury guy as a JG/Jd guy by all accounts.

that said, I definitely think his seat is up for discussion; especially if Dolan thinks we underachieved. I really don’t think we did though. Vally agreed, I think this team overachieved. Without the Pan drama- I bet we are in the playoffs. I won’t even mention the Mika or D stuff bc every team has some of those issues come up. The Pansaga though.... that was different

Reactions: romba

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
To add to my last and to tap into the "Advanced Stats" demographic within our fan base, I would suggest looking at those games where the Rangers had a slow start to the game.

What was our winning percentage in those games I wonder?

It seems to me that a coach ready to take his team to the next level would be leveraging that in discussions with his players especially the younger ones.

Because it seems to me there is so much negative that can come from these slow starts: bad habits, bad relations with teammates, building a negative team culture as opposed to a positive one, etc.
The slow starts weren’t a Quinn-only thing though. I swore up and down that these guys were drinking all night (slow starts seemed reserved for home games AND years ago my sis ran into a bunch of em drinking the night before a game). With covid this year- I can’t really blame that though.

i think maybe more a leadership thing. We don’t seem to have a lot of self starters on the team minus a handful.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
The slow starts weren’t a Quinn-only thing though. I swore up and down that these guys were drinking all night (slow starts seemed reserved for home games AND years ago my sis ran into a bunch of em drinking the night before a game). With covid this year- I can’t really blame that though.

i think maybe more a leadership thing. We don’t seem to have a lot of self starters on the team minus a handful.

Boomer, who would seem to be a guy with at least some inside info said:

" they have no Captain, because nobody has the balls to be Captain of this team."

I hear that and then I hear Kreider (don't want to pick on too much) say what he said today....and I think he's said that before. With Similar results.

I'm not sure I want him gone, but by golly we have to have a coach that will bench a guy for sulking and sour p***yng they way he was in that slump of his.

You wanna break a slump Chris? Be a 200 foot maniac out there. Crush a few people....and then do some more of it and fire up the damn team FFS.

All those physical gifts and I really don't believe he's ever tapped into his best potential.

.....end rant.

Reactions: Ruggs225 and Esa 10

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
You don't gas a good young coach who is improving as a coach unless you have a no-brainer replacement on standby.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Quinn got some pretty vocal support today from Zibanejad and Strome. More than just diplomatic lip service.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Quinn got some pretty vocal support today from Zibanejad and Strome. More than just diplomatic lip service.

The two dudes who never saw a reduction in ice time no matter how poorly they played, despite both being putrid at points this season? Shocker.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The players liking a coach should have close to zero impact on him staying or not. I'd rather my coach be hated but actually good.

In theory it isn't a deciding factor.

But I do think it provides some context to pushback on assertions that the roster "hates him" or that there's some kind of mutiny brewing.

That just hasn't been the word or vibe around this team thus far.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
In theory it isn't a deciding factor.

But I do think it provides some context to pushback on assertions that the roster "hates him" or that there's some kind of mutiny brewing.

That just hasn't been the word or vibe around this team thus far.

FWIW, I never thought that. I'm sure the players like him, he lets them play and he seems like a likable guy.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
FWIW, I never thought that. I'm sure the players like him, he lets them play and he seems like a likable guy.

Torts in his final days with the Rangers was a coach who'd lost the locker room. Quinn, warts and all, doesn't seem to have that same vibe around him.

It's not necessarily going to save him, but I don't know if it'll be a factor either.

One of the biggest factors out there could end up being whether the Rangers like any of the other options and/or feel the timing is right for those options.

Truth be told, this could end up becoming a marriage of convenience for a little bit.

Reactions: romba and TheDirtyH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad