Player Discussion David Quinn: Part VI

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
Would Drury consider naming himself head coach? Sather did double duty for the team in the past. He mentioned how when he filled in as an assistant when Quinn was out that it was his first time on the bench in years and it gave him a new perspective.
Once he picked up the 2nd title of President I think he withdrew himself from the HC running. He’s an ambitious man, but 3 titles? Too much even for him.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
There's just no reason to believe Quinn can take this group anywhere serious. Yeah, you can tweak the group, but at that point why risk that he won't be able to take the tweaked group anywhere serious, when there's no reason to take that risk? He just hasn't proven himself in any way to be a particularly good NHL coach, and I have no idea what management could see that would lead them to conclude otherwise. He's not a dick or an asshole or a horrible coach; he just isn't really that good a coach. Time to move on.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't necessarily know if AV completely lost the room, so much as the room changed and he wasn't necessarily the right guy where that change was leading (on top of shelf life concerns). To that end, him losing the room was inevitable at that point.

Yeah, I think he definitely lost the room, but I agree it probably wasn't really his fault and there was nothing he could do about it.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
One of the questions I suspect the Rangers will be asking themselves is whether the next level/next stage is 2021-22, or if it comes the year after.

Interesting point.

My concern in watching the Rangers repeatedly not show up for games this year was...WHY?

Others have better insight than me I'm sure, but I think the Rangers need to start building an expectation that the team needs to understand what it takes to win. Shifts. Periods. Games.

Begin building a culture about winning.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Interesting point.

My concern in watching the Rangers repeatedly not show up for games this year was...WHY?

Others have better insight than me I'm sure, but I think the Rangers need to start building an expectation that the team needs to understand what it takes to win. Shifts. Periods. Games.

Begin building a culture about winning.

I definitely think that's what they have to start doing. I think you have kids who have to keep gaining a grasp on what it takes to win at this level. I think you need vets who go down swinging (not necessarily in the literal sense), I think you have to build on and grow from what you learned this season.

Frankly, a lot of our veterans did not rise to the challenge this season. There were many times we needed them and all of them were invisible. That can't happen.

Not everyone is going to be on at all times. But they all can't be on the same cycle for being on or off either.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
the longer this goes, the more likely he stays.

winning that last game was bad in more ways than one.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Reactions: haveandare

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I expected Quinn to be fired and still probably leaning that way, but maybe the lack of an obvious replacement is giving the Rangers pause?

Drury may ride with Quinn for at least the start of next year, especially when he's got ready made interim coaches in Knoblauch or Martin. Not the route i would choose, but theres also not a clear better option imo

Reactions: drewcon40

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered
I expected Quinn to be fired and still probably leaning that way, but maybe the lack of an obvious replacement is giving the Rangers pause?

I think you nailed it here McRanger. It's Quinn vs "Available Alternatives" and the Rangers likely feel sticking with the former is the best route. That being said - I am not 100 percent certain he is coming back so anything can happen.

Reactions: McRanger92

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I didn't realize there were more interviews today. Tonight or tomorrow. If it's not done by then.... Our hope is we move to a good assistant for offense; or add a lot of help for the offense.

Skills coach(es)
Faceoffs coach

If we gave BB a fat enough check would he take an assistant role?

I have always wondered why teams don’t hire specialized coaches like skating, stickhandling, and shooting coaches. I think having coaches to help players with struggling abilities during practices/morning skates would be a plus. Every other sport has done that a lot more recently, I hope Rangers go in that direction.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not a huge Larry Brooks fan, but the guy made a good point.

It all comes down to if David Quinn is the guy to take the Rangers to that next level?

Nothing more or less.

I think you would be right in saying he's not responsible for putting the team together.

But it's also a fact certain that the Rangers came on the ice for way too many games not ready to play. More than just those last critical games against the Isles and Caps.

That's about getting the most out of your team and helping them realize their potential which is absolutely the job of a head coach.

Larry is one of those people who can have an excellent point. Aaaaaaand then it goes of the rails quickly and wanders into some interesting territories.

He's also one of those people who will propose something one article and then propose the complete opposite later on.

Why?

Because it keeps him employed quite frankly.

There's no money in boring.

And boring means a team without drama, a team that is thinking long-term and preaching patience, a team without shakeups or trades, without veterans to praise or pick apart, and without access for him.

In that sense, what Larry wants is what we've seen the last week, what he stirs up in articles, what he speculates and ultimately makes for a better story above anything else.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Its all too quiet on this front from the Organization. A lot of the Hockey industry is making assumptions that Quinn will be fired and subsequently replaced.

We shall see.

Reactions: fm

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
I don't like Quinn, but the only thing worse than not firing him would be hiring someone like Babcock or Boudreau or Roy who we know isn't going to win anything and we likely will eventually hate, but will probably stick around for 2-3 years or more. If there aren't any available coaches the team likes then that's fine.

Quinn won't win anything but he has one more season at most if he doesn't at least win a playoff round.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I don't like Quinn, but the only thing worse than not firing him would be hiring someone like Babcock or Boudreau or Roy who we know isn't going to win anything and we likely will eventually hate, but will probably stick around for 2-3 years or more. If there aren't any available coaches the team likes then that's fine.

Quinn won't win anything but he has one more season at most if he doesn't at least win a playoff round.
Those three are probably the worst choices available. Give it to Martin if anything. They guy has the track record, is familiar with the roster, and has delivered results with the PK.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Those three are probably the worst choices available. Give it to Martin if anything. They guy has the track record, is familiar with the roster, and has delivered results with the PK.

I wouldn't call on his track record as HC as a positive. His Senators teams couldn't get over the hump. His Panthers teams underachieved. He rode Halak to an ECF one year in Montreal, and then they fell back to normal after that. There's a reason his name hasn't come up in serious HC conversations in 10 years.

Not that I think it's all negative. Let's just not make him out to be an obviously good choice.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->