Player Discussion David Quinn: Part VI

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Not a huge Larry Brooks fan, but the guy made a good point.

It all comes down to if David Quinn is the guy to take the Rangers to that next level?

Nothing more or less.

I think you would be right in saying he's not responsible for putting the team together.

But it's also a fact certain that the Rangers came on the ice for way too many games not ready to play. More than just those last critical games against the Isles and Caps.

That's about getting the most out of your team and helping them realize their potential which is absolutely the job of a head coach.

I made a very similar point a few weeks back that it's not helpful to look back at Quinn's job so far and decide if he's the guy moving forward. What's most important is looking ahead and recognizing he does not have the skill set nor the experience to move the team to the next level..

Reactions: ponzu4u

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I made a very similar point a few weeks back that it's not helpful to look back at Quinn's job so far and decide if he's the guy moving forward. What's most important is looking ahead and recognizing he does not have the skill set nor the experience to move the team to the next level..

One of the questions I suspect the Rangers will be asking themselves is whether the next level/next stage is 2021-22, or if it comes the year after.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
One of the questions I suspect the Rangers will be asking themselves is whether the next level/next stage is 2021-22, or if it comes the year after.

I mean didn't we finish the highest out of all the non playoff teams? Playoffs should be the goal next season imo.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I definitely think the playoffs are the goal.

The question might be whether the Rangers view that as the next level, or what comes after.

Yea I don't think we need to go all in for them though like NJ did during Hall's Hart year. I'd rather miss next year and be consistent after that than make it next year due to a bunch of short term contracts and deadline rentals.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Does that change a year from now though?

Yeah, who knows. I guess all you can do is make the best decision you can with the info you have available to you in the moment.

If Sullivan was their guy, and it certainly looks like he's sticking in Pitt, maybe they just decide to trust the devil they know.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Torts in his final days with the Rangers was a coach who'd lost the locker room. Quinn, warts and all, doesn't seem to have that same vibe around him.

It's not necessarily going to save him, but I don't know if it'll be a factor either.

One of the biggest factors out there could end up being whether the Rangers like any of the other options and/or feel the timing is right for those options.

Truth be told, this could end up becoming a marriage of convenience for a little bit.

AV lost the room too no?

Ppl won't like your last point but I can see us sticking with Quinn for another year to see what other coaches shake loose and become available....and if the team turns it around next year and takes the strides expected then he can hang on longer until they hit a bad slump

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Still makes no sense if the reason they fired JD and Gorts was to change the culture (fair) yet they are keeping this guy

Reactions: haveandare

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Still makes no sense if the reason they fired JD and Gorts was to change the culture (fair) yet they are keeping this guy
Yea, I feel like starting off with a clean slate would be better for the team than sticking with Quinn who is probably going to feel even more pressure now to force a playoff run. Unfortunately, the only tool Quinn has to try and win games is force feed veterans minutes until they break. Another season like this past one is the last thing this team needs.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I wonder if the young guys potentially having to learn a new system will factor into Drury's decision. Kakko and Laff (towards the end of the season) looked so much more comfortable and not out of place. Do you really want them starting over? Hiring Knobloch would probably make for the smoothest transition.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
AV lost the room too no?

Ppl won't like your last point but I can see us sticking with Quinn for another year to see what other coaches shake loose and become available....and if the team turns it around next year and takes the strides expected then he can hang on longer until they hit a bad slump
I don't know if AV lost the room or the franchise moved away from AV's more hand's off style.

Reactions: romba

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
AV lost the room too no?

I don't necessarily know if AV completely lost the room, so much as the room changed and he wasn't necessarily the right guy where that change was leading (on top of shelf life concerns). To that end, him losing the room was inevitable at that point.

Reactions: romba

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If they keep the coach, I feel like that says that ownership felt like the blame for the lack of physical and mental toughness was more to do with the roster construction than anything the coach was or was not doing. That those games where we came out and got embarrassed, where we couldn't do a damn thing against a team like the Islanders, that's being viewed as more of a personnel issue than a coaching issue. I don't fully agree, but that's what it would signal to me--if indeed we keep Quinn.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I didn't realize there were more interviews today. Tonight or tomorrow. If it's not done by then.... Our hope is we move to a good assistant for offense; or add a lot of help for the offense.

Skills coach(es)
Faceoffs coach

If we gave BB a fat enough check would he take an assistant role?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Would Drury consider naming himself head coach? Sather did double duty for the team in the past. He mentioned how when he filled in as an assistant when Quinn was out that it was his first time on the bench in years and it gave him a new perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->