Player Discussion David Quinn: Part II

Thanksgiving Quarter-Mark Grades

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I don’t think it’s fair to have it both ways though.

It’s hard to look at a guy like Zibanejad, say it’s 9 years in the making, and then say it only happened because he wasn’t in Ottawa.

Ditto for DeAngelo. If it was as simple as reminding players they are potentially on their last shot, there’s a long list of careers that could’ve been salvaged by sticking a Post-It note to their lockers.

I’ve never been a fan of the approach where everything good happens in spite of the coach, and everything bad is a direct result of their incompetence. I think just about anyone, including the people who take that approach, would fail under those parameters.

I think you might be taking my posts out of context a bit.
I'm not blaming the coach for the weather or discounting the good things that he's done however with his lack of adjustment with anything, whether that be from ice time, strategy, special teams or system, I just fail to see an NHL caliber coach here.
Just my opinion..

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Hmm. Pretty sure I just clearly laid out for you the road that leads back to Ruff being the problem, considering the same problems have existed under both AV and DQ when it comes to defensive play in our own end. Not to mention Brady Skjei stagnating, if anything regressing during Ruff’s time here.

But you know what, i should concede to the poster that constantly gets into disagreements with everyone here. Everyone else is wrong, not you. We get it.

So if you don't like my posts or opinion then why bother replying and then taking it to another level by throwing out insults?

You have nothing better to do tonight? Lol

Btw.. When did Ruff become the head coach exactly? Lol

Ugh nevermind..

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don’t think it’s fair to have it both ways though.

It’s hard to look at a guy like Zibanejad, say it’s 9 years in the making, and then say it only happened because he wasn’t in Ottawa.

Ditto for DeAngelo. If it was as simple as reminding players they are potentially on their last shot, there’s a long list of careers that could’ve been salvaged by sticking a Post-It note to their lockers.

I’ve never been a fan of the approach where everything good happens in spite of the coach, and everything bad is a direct result of their incompetence. I think just about anyone, including the people who take that approach, would fail under those parameters.

As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Quinn can receive credit for certain players performing the way they do, while at the same time receive criticism for others not doing well. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Reactions: NYR

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Not sure who this is but it pretty much speaks to what I've been saying..

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
The comments in this thread, the reasoning for why some gave Quinn a “D”, those in itself deserve a “D”. But then again they’re coming from “D” level posters.

This team works hard. They skate hard. There have been players who have improved under Quinn.

If you want to claim inconsistency, then it should be towards the team defense. The defensive structure, and lack there of, has been a complete mess for the last 3+ seasons. You know who the common denominator is? Lindy Ruff. The fundamental breakdowns that lead to high % scoring opportunities for the opposition has been consistent* during Ruff’s time here. The PK has been awful too.

If you fix this team’s defensive structure, especially in their own end, and you coach the 6-7 defensemen you have, this team could have 6-8 more points in the standings, which would make all the difference. Tonight was another night of egregious mistakes by the defensemen. That falls on Ruff, not Quinn.

What I find more amazing in all this is how someone can be given any grade when he had take over a team that was destined to tank and sell off pieces last season. And that was already after having sold off pieces the year prior to that one.

Well I guess you then are a D level poster here too because if you go back and read everything I’ve written on this thread you’ve made the exact same points I’ve made over and over again. I agree that the team has shown effort but since when is that enough to celebrate a coach and give him high marks?!? This is the NHL not JV level hockey where the players and coaches deserve credit for “trying hard.” An NHL level player is expected to compete everyday. I’m not giving Quinn a parade for having his team competing.

So then let’s evaluate him on what is directly his task— getting the players ready to compete by installing a structure that works. Well on that, I can’t give him an average (C) grade because his systems are far below average. Sure we could argue Ruff is directly responsible for the defense but the buck stops with the head coach. Apparently, based on what Joe said during a recent broadcast, it took Quinn until the team was killing off about 70% of the penalties and gave up I think 4 powerplay goals in a game to have a conversation with Lindy asking him to really work on the penalty kill with the team during practice. So if that’s average to above average coaching than I guess people just have a much lower bar than I do.

Now on to players improving. Sure I’ve noticed that too but that’s like congratulating a parent when their kid walks for the first time. I’m fairly certain that the kid was going to walk even if the parent did nothing! When you have players under the age of 22 on the roster they have no where to go but up! Just putting them out their on NHL ice allows them to develop. Furthermore, there are examples of players who have not debeloped— Brady and Lias stand out to me— so again blanket statements don’t apply here.

I know people want to see the Rangers do well and I’m no different. Let’s not be blinded by our hopes for the future when evaluating the now.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Lol the “D” list is literally Dactyl and my ignore list.

His handling of the PP deserves an F though. He’s responsible for the losses in Boston and last night against Vegas.

Reactions: RGY

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What he's doing to the pp right now makes me want to downgrade him a full letter grade.

Having 4 righties on the first unit is so unbelievably idiotic

Well, maybe that 3-on-0 SH breakaway against the Devils with 3 right-handed players (93, 17, 8) made Quinn wonder if that was the key to success :laugh:

Reactions: Inferno

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
What he's doing to the pp right now makes me want to downgrade him a full letter grade.

Having 4 righties on the first unit is so unbelievably idiotic

Strome on the top unit makes no sense at all. It completely neutralizes half the ice and makes the unit very predictable because their only play is to pass it to the left side. I don't care if the 4th forward on the PP is Chytil, Kakko, or Buchnevich but it needs to be one of the three. It's like he just kept Strome there after Mika came back because he scored some points while Mika was hurt not realizing the construction of the unit with all of them was obviously not going to work.

Reactions: Inferno

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Just look at how Washington handles their talent on the PP. Backstrom and Kuz are on the same side (one half boards one below goal line) and they feed Oshie in the Slot, Carlsson on the Point and Ovie on the Opposite sides. 2 lefties on one side, 3 on right. We just need to flip it for our guys.

Forgive the formatting.

Kreider

Panarin Ziba KK ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *Fox and Ada get flipped for whoever is hot

Fox/AdA*

Lemieux

Strome Chytil Buch ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (Trouba likely odd man out)

Ada/Fox/Trouba

or

Lemiuex

Ada/Fox Chytil Buch ~~~~~~~~~~~ Strome is odd man out for 2 dmen

Trouba

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Nice to see you are still so obsessed with my point that’s you continue to argue with me even when I’m not actively participating in this thread. It’s really impressive...
Quoting stats is not quite cherry picking. But have you answered my question yet? If not I will phrase it for you again. Will you be happy if the Rangers would not make it into the playoffs for another 4 years and if they would not win their first playoff series until Kakko is 30?
also you conviently left out the part about how this same coach that you think would not be better than your man Quinn is leading a team with mid level talent to a top record in the league this season, but yes looking back and cherry picking points to support your argument seems more valid.
If you only want to base discussions on this seasson, then you cannot bring up what Trotz did in Nashville as support for why Gorton should have picked him to be the coach ahead of Quinn.
The team is winning in spite of him not because of him.
And you clearly believe that Trotz would have had the same impact on the young players and have much more material success than Quinn this year, correct?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
playing 4 righties on the PP indicates that decision maker is brain dead.

watching panarin effectively eliminate himself playing the wrong side gives me seizures.

imagine ovechkin over there.

quinn needs to sharpen his pp game. its weak rn.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Don’t like the Howden obsession, don’t like the TMM penalties, don’t like that we aren’t ready to start games, but love what he’s done otherwise. B.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Quoting stats is not quite cherry picking. But have you answered my question yet? If not I will phrase it for you again. Will you be happy if the Rangers would not make it into the playoffs for another 4 years and if they would not win their first playoff series until Kakko is 30?

And you clearly believe that Trotz would have had the same impact on the young players and have much more material success than Quinn this year, correct?

Saying that because Trotz could not get his team to win a playoff round for 12 years is proof that once again he would not be able to is complete fallacy and a desperate stretch to make your flawed point seem somehow valid. Did you totally forget that Barry Trotz just led his team to the Stanley Cup while Quinn was coaching a D1 college program??

Yes I believe Trotz would have gotten more out of this group because they would be playing a structured system that is designed and proven to be successful at the NHL level.

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Saying that because Trotz could not get his team to win a playoff round for 12 years is proof that once again he would not be able to is complete fallacy and a desperate stretch to make your flawed point seem somehow valid. Did you totally forget that Barry Trotz just led his team to the Stanley Cup while Quinn was coaching a D1 college program??
What does it matter that Trotz led a star laden Caps team to a Cup victory? Who cares? That in itself is not a reason to hire him for THIS team, as at last check it is the youngest team in the league with a lot less stars.

YOU brought up Nashville as a way to laud what he did. So I am asking you, as that is what you seem to be hanging your hat on, would you be ok if the Rangers missed the playoffs for another 4 years after this one and would not win a series until Kakko was 30?
Yes I believe Trotz would have gotten more out of this group because they would be playing a structured system that is designed and proven to be successful at the NHL level.
The question was if you believed that Trots would make this team materially better. Please address.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I get the feeling people down on Quinn are the ones upset because Kravtsov is in Russia and Anderson is in Hartford yet they ignore the fact that Chytil, Kakko, Fox, Lindgren and Hajek are all here playing.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I gave Quinn a "B" rating at this point.

There are things I like, things I don't like. But overall, there are more things I like than don't like. I also think this team has overachieved a bit, and that says something considering that Zibanejad has missed half the season thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad